Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Live Chat Suggestion

Posted May 30, '11 at 3:28pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,693 posts

Knight

it just depends on whether or not the chat mods will have the ability to ban users on the actual site.  if all they do is kick and mute or just ban from the site then the rest of the moderators are still going to have to be the ones doling out punishment and overseeing how things get handled later on when they log back in... it still increases their workload if the chat mods can't ban or do actual punishment.

Silencing a person doesn't mean banning them from the site. A silence is when they can't post in forums, comment anywhere, nor chat. But they can still login to play games and save progress for said games, earn achievements and such. Banning a user will make it so that they can't get onto their account.

Posted May 30, '11 at 5:18pm

Sonatavarius

Sonatavarius

1,344 posts

my point is that it is still an AG sponsored site.  If the conversation escalated to something more than just childish spamming... such as saying hateful/hurtful things (which is generally what trolling is) then they have still broken some of the rules and stricter punishments may need to be doled out.  ...unless we deem f-bombs acceptable on a live feed as opposed to a week ban from a forum post.

Posted May 30, '11 at 5:20pm

Patrick2011

Patrick2011

3,706 posts

...unless we deem f-bombs acceptable on a live feed as opposed to a week ban from a forum post.

I would not want that as a possible punishment. It would be better to simply ban/silence the people breaking the rules.

Posted May 30, '11 at 5:28pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,693 posts

Knight

If the conversation escalated to something more than just childish spamming... such as saying hateful/hurtful things (which is generally what trolling is) then they have still broken some of the rules and stricter punishments may need to be doled out.  ...unless we deem f-bombs acceptable on a live feed as opposed to a week ban from a forum post.

I think cormyn stated a few pages back that the site rules will still be fully enforced in chat rooms. Well, stricter as in permanently banning the person? Well... seeing as administrators can only do that, then a moderator will have to contact an administrator to do that. But if that is happening while a moderator is around or someone tells the moderator about it with proof then the moderator can just ban the person so that they can't do it anymore then contact an administrator to fully remove the person from the site.

Posted May 30, '11 at 5:32pm

Sonatavarius

Sonatavarius

1,344 posts

so we leave the chatroom to the law of the chatroom and leave the rest of the site to the law of the rest of the site?  so shenanigans on one part of the site still allows you access to the others were you've not done anything wrong?  a chat isn't a right that you have... its a privilege they're nice enough to provide for us.  If you don't abide by their rules then it and others might be taken even if temporarily.  now... its up to how Mr. Dan and the rest want to structure it... they may make a feature that censors out certain words that you can toggle on or off at will... or it just might be an around the board "no profanity" kind of thing. 

...or they might start allowing language that isn't directed at other users (as long as somewhere in the post you've done something to contribute to the furthering of the discussion... like abortion discussions "f-that... no will I approve of abortions for these reasons: A,B,&C" kinda thing... as opposed to f-you)  Honestly... I prefer the restriction of obscenities. but that might just be me.

Posted May 30, '11 at 5:35pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,693 posts

Knight

so we leave the chatroom to the law of the chatroom and leave the rest of the site to the law of the rest of the site?

wat

In my post I mentioned that the site rules were going to be enforced in the chat rooms. I mean, I'd expect that since it's apart of AG.

Posted May 30, '11 at 5:38pm

Sonatavarius

Sonatavarius

1,344 posts

your post wasn't there when i made mine out. I didn't see yours till after

Posted May 31, '11 at 6:28pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,863 posts

Knight

Java based, or something else.

I'd prefer flash, because I tend to turn javascript off

Java != Javascript

etting users be able to create their own chat room on AG, being able to only let your friends enter the chat, and able to let anyone into your chat room

That's sorta my vote, but it will also depend on how many chat rooms we can have at a time based on the chat engine we use.

depends on whether or not the chat mods will have the ability to ban users on the actual site

We don't intend to give pseudo-mod powers to regular users, let alone the ability to ban users from the site.

At best, users will be able to report users from the chat, and a real moderator/admin will deal with it.

so we leave the chatroom to the law of the chatroom and leave the rest of the site to the law of the rest of the site?

No, the Terms and Conditions of the site apply everywhere. If "shenanigans" go on within the chat room, we expect users to report/flag those responsible the same way they do now with forum posts or game/user comments. Moderators and Admins will deal with these reports as we get them.

Posted May 31, '11 at 7:25pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,693 posts

Knight

Java != Javascript

Oh. I'm not sure what the different is between them. Could you explain it to me?

Posted May 31, '11 at 7:56pm

bunniecorps

bunniecorps

190 posts

I acctually think this is a great idea, spamming in threads isn't a problem but the 30 second wait may be too much for some people to reply. So Forum RPGs can move much more quickly.

Reply to Live Chat Suggestion

You must be logged in to post a reply!