Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Live Chat Suggestion

Posted Jul 13, '12 at 2:03pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,472 posts

Knight

one thing to think about is there are ppl of all ages on here so there need to be some rooms off limits to the younger users so teens and adults can speak more freely

The site requires you to be 13 to have an account. If you're here and under that age and see something that's inappropriate it's not our fault, you shouldn't have an account in the first place.

Posted Jul 13, '12 at 2:03pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

one thing to think about is there are ppl of all ages on here so there need to be some rooms off limits to the younger users so teens and adults can speak more freely

I know you mean well, but it is extremely easy for one to lie about their age in order to access restricted chat rooms.

I mean, come on. Who hasn't been underage and checked that little "I certify I am over the age of 18" sometime in their life?

Posted Aug 19, '12 at 2:04pm

ThatGuyOnBroadway

ThatGuyOnBroadway

28 posts

I aggree with Salvidian. However, i think that there should be multiple chat rooms so people could talk with other people about the same idea. here are my ideas for chat room types:
1: Gaming (talk about Xbox, Wii, PS3, but no flash.)
2: Flash gaming (talk about online games, including AG and Certain MMOs.)
3: ModernWorld (news, politics, ect.)
4: ProTalk (chat with developers [if the developer wants to do this] about games, ideas, and overall feedback)(may require multiple channels to classify the diverse amount of developers on AG)
5: -private- (players can form simple, private channels that are invite only and get removed afterwords.)
6: :)SpaM(: (talk about anything you like [rules apply])

All chanels should have a bi-langual function if people from other countries played (which would be Awesome :D) on the site.

It's a long shot, but hey, it's just an idea.

Posted Aug 19, '12 at 9:52pm

CommanderPaladin

CommanderPaladin

1,548 posts

A chat room? Come on, you can do better than that.
In an actual forum, like what we have now and the AG overlords want to remove on AGv3, people can debate and opine freely and at length. Reasonably large amounts of information can be drawn up and posted, be it a paragraph or a Wall Of Text, and as a result intelligent communication can take place. With a chat room, you get little snippets of nothingness like ten-letter-long posts and a high degree of "lolwut-ing" that adds up to diddly squat for intelligence.

Granted, I'm not all that active regarding posting in the forums, but I do like to scroll through and read what people have to say and occasionally drop a block of verbiage into the mix. However, if the forums get wiped and replaced with a chat room, that'll be the end of my presence there, and I'm sure that a lot of other, far more prolific users/debaters/bastions of opining will be driven away forever as well. Given that the forums are one of the most popular and defining characteristics of this site, one must ask "can we really afford to do this?"

Posted Aug 19, '12 at 10:37pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,472 posts

Knight

They aren't removing the forum. They MAY OR MAY NOT be able to transfer all the threads and posts, but the forum will still be here. Please read through the stickies instead of getting upset over false information.

Posted Aug 19, '12 at 11:24pm

CommanderPaladin

CommanderPaladin

1,548 posts

@GoM
Actually, I have read the stickies. And it's not false information.
According to information posted on one of said stickies about a month ago, they will most likely wipe the forums clean of all posts and threads and attempt to start over. This would be a huge blow to the site and its denizens. Game guides that help players ranging from newbies to experienced players who just get stuck, enough debate and discussion material to fill quite a few books, and the longest-running game here (and possibly ever - "You're Banned"), to name just a few of the losses. This would, in all likelihood, cripple the forums and drive away many of those who prolifically opine therein.
To be clear though, I think it would actually help the site if they delete and/or don't migrate all of the locked and necro threads. That would free up a considerable amount of information storage on AG's system.

Please refrain from assuming that I'm firing off without a full charge.

Posted Aug 19, '12 at 11:30pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,472 posts

Knight

Wipe clean is different from removing. Choose your words carefully.

Everything can be restarted. Will it be hard? Yes. Will people leave? Yes. But us regular users have no say in what they do.

Posted Aug 20, '12 at 3:19am

CommanderPaladin

CommanderPaladin

1,548 posts

Wipe clean = Remove content.

Well, if enough of us regular users get together and kick up a fuss, they Might actually listen. While I think a chat room is a misstep, it would have no real bearing on me so long as the forums remain intact. However, being intact would mean carrying over the current content, or at least the gems. Otherwise there wouldn't be much of a point in going there.

One definite logistical issue that a chat room would give rise to is the need for a 24-hour Moderator presence. Chat happening in real time would be much harder to police/censor the garbage out of than forum posts.

Posted Aug 20, '12 at 3:33am

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,472 posts

Knight

In an actual forum, like what we have now and the AG overlords want to remove on AGv3

You didn't specify content, which confused me. That quote right there led me to believe you thought they were going to remove the forum and replace them with a chat.
Well, if enough of us regular users get together and kick up a fuss, they Might actually listen.

Has been tried* before, no luck.
However, being intact would mean carrying over the current content, or at least the gems.

Seems unlikely since they are changing the forum engine.
One definite logistical issue that a chat room would give rise to is the need for a 24-hour Moderator presence.

- Add in a censor. If you get censored X amount of times it notifies the mods and they review your chat logs.
- Add in a flagging system. If you get flagged X amount of times it notifies the mods and they review your chat logs.
- Separate forum and chat mods. See Kongregate for example.

*Talking about the thread in the tavern, that pickle one, where users are/were complaining and tried emailing the staff to get stuff done. Didn't work.

Posted Aug 21, '12 at 2:29am

Ernie15

Ernie15

13,302 posts

Knight

Separate forum and chat mods. See Kongregate for example.

Why do they have to be separate? If they can be trusted with one, they may as well have the other. Why not just expand the moderation team entirely?

Or, of course, potential moderators could start out as chat mods and their performance would be monitored, and eventually if they do a good enough job they could be promoted to full-blown moderator. It would be a much better system than what we currently use.

Reply to Live Chat Suggestion

You must be logged in to post a reply!