Live Chat Suggestion

Posted May 31, '11 at 8:08pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,691 posts

Knight

different

difference

I acctually think this is a great idea, spamming in threads isn't a problem but the 30 second wait may be too much for some people to reply. So Forum RPGs can move much more quickly.

Chat rooms is a good idea, but the second part of your post doesn't belong in here. If you want to talk about the forums then post in the appropriate sticky thread for it.

Posted May 31, '11 at 8:40pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,863 posts

Knight

Javascript is a scripted programming language which is predominantly client-side (everything runs in your browser).

Java is a compiled programming language used in a lot of commercial software, and generally runs on the server.

In the case of chat room, you could think that a Java-based chat would run similarly to a Flash-based chat -- all of the software actually lives on our servers, but your browser will download a little bit of the software (like a .SWF) to run the chat.

Given the advances of Javascript, we *could*, in theory, make a Javascript-based chat that was all run in the browser, which is how Facebook does their instant message chat, but we'd rather use a commercial system that has been tested and so on, instead of building our own.

Posted Jun 1, '11 at 9:53am

eaglepaw

eaglepaw

250 posts

this is good idea.

Posted Jun 1, '11 at 2:48pm

Holladay15

Holladay15

253 posts

I don't know if this has been brought up but, maybe there can also be live chat in threads. For example I play in the DnD thread in the forum games and we respond back and forth but, gets annoying because we constantly ninja each other and stuff. so, maybe we can have a group chat system or a room chats that can b set to private with a password needed and as for our friend list we click the name and it gives us option you click chat and boom your chatting but, there also should be a system of knowing whether they are online or not.

Posted Jun 2, '11 at 2:42am

cormyn

cormyn

2,863 posts

Knight

Well, we don't know yet where the live chat will 'live' on the site, whether it'll be a dedicated page, or something you could access from any page, etc.

Posted Jun 2, '11 at 11:05am

Holladay15

Holladay15

253 posts

I think it should be available from any page because if it wasn't available on every page than there is no point in making one. We already have the "messenger" on our profiles.

Posted Jun 2, '11 at 11:40am

candyman222

candyman222

53 posts

yes like konget you can do that whiel playing a game

and i am a beta tester and it gets pretty boring after a bit

Posted Jun 2, '11 at 11:58am

Holladay15

Holladay15

253 posts

and i am a beta tester and it gets pretty boring after a bit

What gets boring? But, yeah like that being able to chat while playing games. That way you get out of the forum but, you keep in touch with the people in it.

Posted Jun 3, '11 at 12:46pm

NitroDex

NitroDex

2 posts

wait,wait will that be chat for all of logged users or i call example cormyn and only us two chatting or what?

Posted Jun 3, '11 at 2:14pm

Holladay15

Holladay15

253 posts

wait,wait will that be chat for all of logged users or i call example cormyn and only us two chatting or what?

Ahh, that is true. Well, what I am hoping for is a msn kind of thing where you invite some one to chat not really a "chatroom"

Reply to Live Chat Suggestion

You must be logged in to post a reply!