ForumsNews and FeedbackLive Chat Suggestion

506 63953
cormyn
cormyn
2,908 posts

To avoid so many duplicate threads, please place your ideas and thoughts on a live chat system here.

Initially, we weren't going to do a live chat, but enough users asked for it that Dan has agreed, and we'll add a live chat to the system AFTER we launch AG3. It will NOT be part of the AG3 launch.

Ideas that others have suggested:
- custom channels
- password-protected channels
- kick/ban controls
- moderation controls
- report a user

We don't know yet if the chat will be Flash based, Java based, or something else.

• 506 Replies
jeol
jeol
3,843 posts

I'm talking about user-made chats that are password protected so only you can let certain people in.

Ohohoh... That could work. But there would still be chat invites, right?
Yes. I prefer having another tab open solely for chatting rather than having the little thing follow me around.

That's what I was thinking.
The current moderators, however, there's not enough if they make a few chat rooms, and even then, some of them are inactive.

Yeah. Also, they wouldn't be able to moderate the forums or game comments much that way.
Well, that can be easily abused. You could just gather up your friends to veto people you don't like. I much prefer flagging users from their profiles. It'll show "flag this user" by "connect" and "ignore". When you press flag this user a little window will pop up so you can input your reason.

Oh, so basically the 'quiet' button, like in the Exit Path multiplayer chat thingies. That way, you can avoid annoying people. However, that won't help with profanity or nasty/offensive comments. You could filter certain words, but that won't prevent flaming or trolling. That is, if you don't want to block them, their chatter still fills the page.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,533 posts

Oh, so basically the 'quiet' button, like in the Exit Path multiplayer chat thingies. That way, you can avoid annoying people. However, that won't help with profanity or nasty/offensive comments. You could filter certain words, but that won't prevent flaming or trolling. That is, if you don't want to block them, their chatter still fills the page.

Perhaps there could be chat logs somewhere so the mods/admins can see them. If you flag a user for chat behavior, then the mods/admins will review them then act accordingly.
jeol
jeol
3,843 posts

Perhaps there could be chat logs somewhere so the mods/admins can see them. If you flag a user for chat behavior, then the mods/admins will review them then act accordingly.

That would still be a lot of material to cover... I guess flagging would help, but all the people in a certain chat might be the same way and wouldn't even care to flag anybody else because that's the sort of people they hang out with and that behavior doesn't faze them.
kingofwar1234
kingofwar1234
614 posts

(just an idea)

i think that on your' profile, there should be a notification that shows whos on your profile and when they got on it and left it...

and this should be optional in the users control panel:

enabeling or disabling a chat room on their profile... so they get the choice of having a chat room or not... good idea or bad idea?

SierraCastaway
SierraCastaway
131 posts

I agree to Chat. Maybe put a chatbar on the bottom of the screen, where anyone who is your friend, can chat with you. AND/OR:
A chat bar on the bottom, where there are chat rooms for just you and your friends, and then 3 public rooms, where all Armor Game players can chat publicly with non-friends!

Demounik
Demounik
1 posts

I think maybe someone could create one nice online rpg game
Thx

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,433 posts

I think maybe someone could create one nice online rpg game

You mean like an MMORPG? People have created them, and you can find some on the main page under "random game".

The reason there aren't any on AG is because AG is a flash website, and most MMORPGs aren't created using flash.
CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,703 posts

I approve of this idea. Its the main reason I even visit some other sites.

GUMMBAAH
GUMMBAAH
44 posts

i agree with the most of you guys and like commanderdude7 i also visit sites like kongregate because i love the chatrooms .so i hope you guys can put it in AG3 !

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,184 posts

I know cormyn has said no to it, but reading GoMs posts i can't help but bring it up again (Don't kill me Cormyn)

If i remember correctly the last discussion i read on chat Mods, one of the reasons the site was against them was because Moderators didn't want to give normal users more power thus creating a rift between the different types of users, i guess. Something along those lines.

However, once the reputation system is in place and users show themselves responsible, will it ever be considered?

There's a difference between chat mods and normal moderators.
(On most chat sites you have mods (Unpaid) and Admins (Paid), just like AG. However the Mods on this site take care of what admins take care off on most chat sites, and the admins here take care off what superusers do on chat sites.

My thought on this is there is an age limit on Moderators here, and this could be a way into the ranks for users Admins have considered for Mod but aren't old enough yet?

SierraCastaway
SierraCastaway
131 posts

Is there going to be friend chats? Where you just click on the name of your friend if they are online, and you send them a message (personal friend chats like on GaiaOnline.com?)

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,184 posts

Is there going to be friend chats? Where you just click on the name of your friend if they are online, and you send them a message

There's going to be personal messaging rather than one to one private chats i believe. Like an inbox.
bioman250
bioman250
5 posts

if there is chat i find if i play a good long game mostly hard ones that chat eats up bandwidth there should be a switch off chat button

TheNameWithNoNumbers
TheNameWithNoNumbers
164 posts

Chat, well, AG could use a PM messaging system, and a better forum... But a chat?
Chats for sites this big usually end up messing up everything. Plus, it invites trolls, plus people spamming the chat. But... if we moderate it well, possibly it'd be good.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,533 posts

Chats for sites this big usually end up messing up everything. Plus, it invites trolls, plus people spamming the chat.

Kongregate begs to differ, there are over five million accounts on that website, and a lot of people use the chats. Granted, they have chat moderators so the thing doesn't turn into hell.
Showing 136-150 of 506