Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

A Paradox: Why would a benign God create penultimate evil

Posted May 25, '11 at 7:44pm

camm95

camm95

52 posts

just a question i've always had, and just so we are clear, this is not a question pertaining to any specific religion, it is simply a hypothetical.
please don't cite religious texts, i'd like to hear your personal opinions from purely rational viewpoints

Posted May 25, '11 at 8:03pm

Nurvana

Nurvana

2,598 posts

God does not create evil. He allows it to happen. The obvious question to that would be, who created evil? Satan, I've heard from some theologians, but wouldn't have God had to allow him to?

Posted May 25, '11 at 8:03pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,740 posts

He allows it to happen

Yes, omnipotent, all loving god lets evil happen. Yay loving god.

Posted May 25, '11 at 8:04pm

TerryLasVegas

TerryLasVegas

804 posts

who created evil? Satan

I thought satan was originally an angel, and arent all angels created by god?

Posted May 25, '11 at 8:05pm

camm95

camm95

52 posts

But an omnipotent God created everything so therefore created evil. and has the power to destroy anything so why would a benign god create and then allow the proliferation of evil?

Posted May 25, '11 at 8:06pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,740 posts

why would a benign god create and then allow the proliferation of evil?

Obviously, a benign god wouldn't, so that leaves us with God is a malevolent ******* - if he even exists.

Posted May 25, '11 at 8:11pm

Nurvana

Nurvana

2,598 posts

I thought satan was originally an angel, and arent all angels created by god?

Don't try and quote that like I was making a statement. I was pointing out what a theologian would say, and I know this is just text, but in a tone that suggests my skepticism? Obviously what I had written made no sense.

Posted May 25, '11 at 8:13pm

camm95

camm95

52 posts

Would the allowance of evil make God Malevolent, or would it make God more of a humanlike?

Posted May 25, '11 at 8:17pm

Xzeno

Xzeno

2,354 posts

God allows evil to happen because all beings have free will. Satan was the first to "create evil" when he rebelled against God, by his own free will.

why would a benign god create and then allow the proliferation of evil?
Because all beings have free will. Satan was given every chance for redemption, but continued with his wicked ways.

Posted May 25, '11 at 8:17pm

Nurvana

Nurvana

2,598 posts

Would the allowance of evil make God Malevolent, or would it make God more of a humanlike?

I think it would make him humanlike, for either he would fail to have the foresight of what allowance of sin would do (i.e., atheists), or he would lack the power to avoid sicking it upon his people. It would not make him completely malevolent, because everyone does bad deeds, and even someone convicted of murder may not be malevolent (I was going to use an analogy of a child being punished by his parent, but obviously the creation of sin is a much larger crime).

Reply to A Paradox: Why would a benign God create penultimate evil

You must be logged in to post a reply!