ForumsWEPRA Paradox: Why would a benign God create penultimate evil

134 20527
camm95
camm95
52 posts
Nomad

just a question i've always had, and just so we are clear, this is not a question pertaining to any specific religion, it is simply a hypothetical.
please don't cite religious texts, i'd like to hear your personal opinions from purely rational viewpoints

• 134 Replies
camm95
camm95
52 posts
Nomad

When? i don't remember that or maybe i never read it.

God could have placed Satan in a place where evil could no proliferate.
Such as?

God is omniscient, he could create a place for evil to be
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Or he could just have made it so evil doesn't exist.

Again, since he does none of these things and instead lets it proliferate, that means one of two things.

1) He is unable to stop it, thus not omnipotent

2) He's an *******
zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

God created free will, which has in turn created evil. And since everyone is referencing Satan (at least the Christian version), Jews believe that Satan is not an evil doer, but more of a mischief maker, sort of like the Robin Goodfellow (Mid-Summer's Night Dream) of deities.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

God created Satan, ergo, god created evil
Fallacy of equivocation.

that means one of two things.
or C) God does not interfere with free will.

When? i don't remember that or maybe i never read it.
Paradise Lost.

He did. It's called Hell.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Satan convinced Eve to eat the apple, banishing all of humanity from the Garden of Eden. He also literally invented sin.

And God is the one who put him there knowing he would do that.

God was aware of every event that would transpire when he made Satan. But because Satan had free will, he couldn't stop them.

Of course he could have if omnipotent, he decided not to. And no I don't consider allowing it without intervention in the name of free will to be a loving act.
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

What kind of free will does god give? "Oh, I know how your life is going to be, even before you where born, thus I will create you to have an ultimate fate of suffering in hell, but hey! Free will!"

"Free will" on godly level is bs. How come I can't fly? How come I can die? How come I can't make stuff appear using my own will? Doesn't sound like free will to me.

camm95
camm95
52 posts
Nomad

Paradise Lost

fantastic writing, I highly respect Milton, however, not a viable religious text.
He did. It's called Hell

So by saying this you are claiming that there is no evil on earth? Hell is for deceased sinners and the occasional poet, not the living evils that plague the world and the living "children of God".
DarthNerd
DarthNerd
1,762 posts
Nomad

@loloynage

By free will, it means able to control and think for our selves. Would you prefer if you were just a mind and you couldnt control your body? That god played with us like puppets, makeing us do whatever he wanted?

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

That god played with us like puppets, makeing us do whatever he wanted?

Ever read the Bible? That's all he does. The "free will" in it boils down to "Do what I say or I punish you, your famliy, and all whom you love until you obey me."
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Hmmm...this link could also apply here.

http://www.philosophersnet.com/games/whatisgod.php

qwerty1011
qwerty1011
554 posts
Peasant

God can see the future and knew what would happen. He made Lucifer and knew he would be Satan so he created satan.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I guess the reasons why in religions there are always 'good' and 'evil' despite there being powerful gods, is because of human nature. Humans are all "good" and "bad", while those two concepts are subjective of course. But the point is, I guess we can't imagine a world with only 'good' things. There always has to be 'evil', or we'd either not understand it or lose interest to it (yes, there being 'evil' is surely a source of interest for that religion). It just fits our world better.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Hmmm...this link could also apply here.
Come on, Ash. Next you'll be using youtube as an argument. You're better than that.

Of course he could have if omnipotent, he decided not to. And no I don't consider allowing it without intervention in the name of free will to be a loving act.
Maybe you should look into it. Without freedom, isn't good meaningless? Hmm... we seem to have stumbled onto something actually interesting here.

fantastic writing, I highly respect Milton, however, not a viable religious text.
It is fantastic writing. I love Paradise Lost. Why isn't it a viable text? Milton said it was divinely inspired.

I like this thread, because we aren't arguing about God's existence. Rather, we're doing something philosophically worthwhile.
camm95
camm95
52 posts
Nomad

Thanks for the positive response to the thread.

Why isn't it a viable text? Milton said it was divinely inspired
and firstly, Paradise Lost isn't a religious text because it isn't recognized as one by a religion. Also, just because it is claimed to be divinely inspired doesn't mean anything, its just a claim that can't really be proven. If Milton was recognized as a prophet i would respect it as a religious text but as is, it think it is a good secondary interpretation of the bible
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Also, just because it is claimed to be divinely inspired doesn't mean anything,

YAY Double Standards! Apply this to the bible.

its just a claim that can't really be proven

:O More double standards!
Showing 16-30 of 134