ForumsWEPRA Paradox: Why would a benign God create penultimate evil

134 20479
camm95
camm95
52 posts
Nomad

just a question i've always had, and just so we are clear, this is not a question pertaining to any specific religion, it is simply a hypothetical.
please don't cite religious texts, i'd like to hear your personal opinions from purely rational viewpoints

• 134 Replies
camm95
camm95
52 posts
Nomad

I'm not sure i follow Kasic, would you care to elaborate?

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Certainly.

Also, just because it is claimed to be divinely inspired doesn't mean anything,

The Bible claims to be divinely inspired, along with all other holy texts. Saying that just because Milton claims it's divinely inspired doesn't make it so is a double standard; as Christians treat the bible as such with nothing more than word of mouth to go on.

its just a claim that can't really be proven

Same as before. Holy texts have &quotrophets" who say god told them something, but it can't really be proven, and yet they are accepted because it conforms to how the religion currently sees itself. Anything outside of that is accused of as having lack of evidence and/or being heresy, hence, a double standard.
camm95
camm95
52 posts
Nomad

That's very true, but we have no material for debate if we don't entertain the bible as at least some form of viable text, there is absolutely no certifiable material for the discussion of God outside of religious texts so we wouldn't really be able to talk about this. I agree with you, but i would like the conversation to continue, and if that means talking about religious texts i am more than happy to do so.

qwerty1011
qwerty1011
554 posts
Peasant

OK then I am making a book called Why the Bible is Bull**** and am saying it is divinely inspired. Therefore it must be right and the bible is bull****

camm95
camm95
52 posts
Nomad

I honestly applaud you sir, and i expect the first signed copy. That is dead serious too.

qwerty1011
qwerty1011
554 posts
Peasant

I am marketing it as the god delusion under the pseudonym Richard Dawkins. In all good bookshops near you.

camm95
camm95
52 posts
Nomad

interesting pseudonym but i will probably be reading it thanks for the summer material

qwerty1011
qwerty1011
554 posts
Peasant

It is hard to tell. Are you serious? And if you are do you know what that book is?

camm95
camm95
52 posts
Nomad

yeah technology is a real dampener on the whole sarcasm and emotion thing in text. I am serious about reading it, its been on my list of books to read just havent gotten around to it.

qwerty1011
qwerty1011
554 posts
Peasant

^^It is actually a really good book. It turned me into an anti theist.

darver
darver
189 posts
Nomad

God does not create evil. He allows it to happen. The obvious question to that would be, who created evil? Satan, I've heard from some theologians, but wouldn't have God had to allow him to?

Unless Satan has the same amounts of power as God, then no.

Satan could be like God: Always been around. Powerful dude.

It would make sense: Good and evil have been around forever.
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

That's very true, but we have no material for debate if we don't entertain the bible as at least some form of viable text, there is absolutely no certifiable material for the discussion of God outside of religious texts so we wouldn't really be able to talk about this. I agree with you, but i would like the conversation to continue, and if that means talking about religious texts i am more than happy to do so.
So you're saying which texts or traditions we use is utterly arbitrary, but we shouldn't use Paradise Lost because you said so.

On a tangibly related note, atheists on this site tend to assume that the Bible should be treated as what religion says and all other sources are secondary and that's just how religion works. That is, of course, utterly baseless.
camm95
camm95
52 posts
Nomad

So you're saying which texts or traditions we use is utterly arbitrary, but we shouldn't use Paradise Lost because you said so.
On a tangibly related note, atheists on this site tend to assume that the Bible should be treated as what religion says and all other sources are secondary and that's just how religion works. That is, of course, utterly baseless.

In my opinion religion is utterly baseless, but that doesn't mean we can't talk about it. Traditionally though, the bible is the adopted religious text of Christianity and can be recognized as such, and while Paradise Lost is a text about christianity, and the fall of man from Eden, it is not recognized by an organized religion as their religious text or even as an auxillary text for any Christian sect. If i am mistaken then i apologize for my ignorance and would like to rectify that ignorance
mysteriousmexican666
mysteriousmexican666
318 posts
Nomad

Another Paradox: Atheists talking nonstop about religion. We all know you don't like it, so stop complaining.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Another Paradox: Atheists talking nonstop about religion. We all know you don't like it, so stop complaining.

You can practice whatever you want as long as it doesn't affect those who do not follow your religion. Hence, when you lobby against Gay marriage for example, we're going to push you back. You could worship the magic potato fairy and claim that eating anything other than something that has potato in it is blasphemy, I wouldn't care, but if you lobbied that all foods without potato in them be banned, then i'd get in your face about it. So stop being a hypocrite and ask to be lefted alone, while you are trying to enforce your beliefs on others.
Showing 31-45 of 134