ForumsNews and FeedbackAchievements Suggestion

484 140720
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Hey everyone,

Here's a sticky thread to put achievement-based ideas and discussion.

Our plan is to engage game developers to send us periodic information about your game play, such as how many castles you've toppled in Crush the Castle, or how many times your dinosaur jumped in Treadmillasaurus Rex, etc. and that these pieces of information would accumulate to award you 'achievements' on AG3.

We're actively designing and building the achievement system right now, so as we have information, we'll share it here, but we're welcome to listen to ideas and feedback along the way.

• 484 Replies
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

I've already stated that if we catch someone cheating, we can undo their Achievements, and ban them from gaining further Achievements on a temporary or permanent basis.

valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

Will people cheating to get achivements definitely banned? Or just for a while?

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Depends how serious it is. We'll still have the same warning/tempban/perma-ban workflow when dealing with trouble users, but we'll have two levels on AG3 in this case... If we tempban or perma-ban a user from gaining Achievements, we may also tempban or perma-ban the user from the entire site if they've caused other trouble too.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I was talking to one of my friends on here and he posed a good question.
Will our game play be transferred over? Like, if an achievement is to get to level 10 on whatever game, and we've done it on AG2, will we automatically get the achievement or will it be reset?

destruction101
destruction101
115 posts
Nomad

I would be cool if when you earned Achievements they could increase your karma. Also it would be nice if you could review all of your achievements on your account, AND be able to see achievements that you have not completed yet.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

@Jefferysinspiration: Your local flash storage currently looks for games as cache.armorgames.com; AG3 beta calls games something like gamemedia.armorgames.com for the time being, but at launch, it'll be the same cache.armorgames.com... so YES, your locally-saved progress will still be there. Of course, any game save progress the gamedev has built using OUR servers will still be there as long as you're logged in.

@destruction101 Achievements and Reputation are two separate things, and will never overlap (Reputation won't award Achievements, and vice versa). You'll be able to see your gained Achievements on your profile, and you'll be able to see Achievements you haven't won yet underneath every game that can award these Achievements.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Will achievements from games that already include them be carried over as actual achievements? Crush the Castle and Exit Path are great examples.

Rosemary16
Rosemary16
151 posts
Peasant

Should merits be included as achievements in AG3, It just seems to go together.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Will achievements from games that already include them be carried over as actual achievements? Crush the Castle and Exit Path are great examples.

This has already been discussed. If the game developer rebuilds their game to include our Achievement system and has kept track of your old achievements in the game, then they could unlock your new Achievements on the AG3 web site the next time you play the game.

The CTC series and Exit Path game obviously do keep track of those values, but if a game doesn't currently have any in-game Achievement, like "you finished the first 5 levels", then adding our Achievement system in their game would mean that you as a user would have to replay the game to win those Achievements. This is nothing we can control -- if the gamedev didn't have the forethought to track things like that, there's nothing Armor Games can do about it.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Should merits be included as achievements in AG3, It just seems to go together.

Not really. We're looking at ways to 'romote' game comments on AG3 that we think are worth showing to all users, but it may be part of our Reputation system. AG3 won't have "merits" like AG2 does.
JalapenoFez
JalapenoFez
904 posts
Peasant

Ooh Achievements! In AG 3 will we have an achievements bar on our profile pages? That would be great! Then you could show them off to other members!
Not that im saying ill rub it in :P
I'm just saying...

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Yeah, we're not sure yet how we'll display them, or if we just show ALL achievements you've gained, or let you pick your favorite 10 achievements to show off on your profile, etc..

Or maybe a combination ... you pick your top 10 and we'll also show the most recent 10 you won, or something. We're still working out those details.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Yeah, we're not sure yet how we'll display them, or if we just show ALL achievements you've gained, or let you pick your favorite 10 achievements to show off on your profile, etc..

Or maybe a combination ... you pick your top 10 and we'll also show the most recent 10 you won, or something. We're still working out those details

This sounds good. I notice on the beta site in our armory there's an achievements sidebar, you could have the recent achievements and the sidebar to click to see all - as i think displaying all achievements could clutter up a profile.
JalapenoFez
JalapenoFez
904 posts
Peasant

So will it have something alike to SC2?
Where you have a 'Showcase' area. Which is basically the top 5 achievements you think are your greatest.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

i think displaying all achievements could clutter up a profile.

Agreed. We'd probably list every game where you've gained at least one Achievement, and when someone clicks through, they'll see your progress.
Showing 91-105 of 484