ForumsNews and FeedbackAchievements Suggestion

484 141005
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Hey everyone,

Here's a sticky thread to put achievement-based ideas and discussion.

Our plan is to engage game developers to send us periodic information about your game play, such as how many castles you've toppled in Crush the Castle, or how many times your dinosaur jumped in Treadmillasaurus Rex, etc. and that these pieces of information would accumulate to award you 'achievements' on AG3.

We're actively designing and building the achievement system right now, so as we have information, we'll share it here, but we're welcome to listen to ideas and feedback along the way.

• 484 Replies
FearRiver
FearRiver
13 posts
Farmer

I think receiving AG awards for completing game achievements/challenges is a good idea

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

what is the point of an achievement if there is no rewards, am I right?

The achievement IS the reward.

And achievements will not grant Reputation. Points and armatars, maybe, but not Reputation.

higher difficulty= higher reward

This is up to the game developer. For example, Joey could make achievements for crushing 10 castles, 50, 250, and 1000 castles. Only *really* avid users will get that top achievement.

Rosemary16, we won't be awarding Armor Points for community involvement any longer (forum posts, etc). Check out the Reputation thread for more info.
ferfer313
ferfer313
260 posts
Nomad

Possibly an achievement for reaching Gold King?

Holladay15
Holladay15
3,671 posts
Nomad

I think I see where you trying to get at but, the only thing you can give us an achievement besides contribution like forum post and things like that is how long we have been active Thats all I can think of.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

For this one, I'm going to quote cormyn from the migration thread. The double quote is what cormyn quoted:

[quote]I think there will be legacy achievements based on AP total when AG3 comes out.

Yes, very likely. Firetail will get an exclusive achievement for having the most points, the top 10/100 all-time users will probably get an extra achievement too, that sort of thing.

We've also talked about having achievements for things like "more than 500 points", "more than 1000 points", "more than 5000 points" etc. as well.[/quote]
Holladay15
Holladay15
3,671 posts
Nomad

Yeah, I suppose that would make sense.

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

A question, is the word "achievements" definitive? I'm not a big fan of the word and it sounds too generic. I think "medals" is the best term but that's what they already use at newgrounds. What about "trophies" or "awards"?

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

A question, is the word "achievements" definitive? I'm not a big fan of the word and it sounds too generic. I think "medals" is the best term but that's what they already use at newgrounds. What about "trophies" or "awards"?

I think "achievements" is the right word for what we're discussing because the achievements themselves can cover lots of different stuff.
Xcalibur45
Xcalibur45
1,830 posts
Farmer

Well I've made abut 5 songs On Punk-o-matic 2. I got to round 85 on storm the house 3.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Since we've already stated that we'll be giving out achievements based on points, and that you need certain amounts of points to gain those ranks, then yeah we could maybe give out an achievement just for hitting gold ranks like 'gold knight' or 'gold prince' etc.

the only thing you can give us an achievement besides contribution like forum post and things like that is how long we have been active Thats all I can think of.

Most of the achievements on the site will come from the games, which I've said in another post, for things like "you've crushed 100 castles" or "you've played 100 games of Exit Path", but the game achievements will be up to the game developer to design into the game.

We'll probably start calling them 'achievements' because the word will translate well into other languages. Joey had the idea of calling them 'shields'.

I've made abut 5 songs On Punk-o-matic 2

Right, so if the game developer had achievements built in, he could notify the web site when you submit 100 songs, and we'll unlock that achievement for you. That's just an example.
Xcalibur45
Xcalibur45
1,830 posts
Farmer

Right, so if the game developer had achievements built in, he could notify the web site when you submit 100 songs, and we'll unlock that achievement for you. That's just an example.

Oh ok, I get it now, So the Developers have to come up with the Achievement.
kerimcan1999
kerimcan1999
21 posts
Nomad

Are there any achievements in armorgames?

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

[quote]Joey had the idea of calling them 'shields'.

Wow, that sounds catchy. I'm for it. I wanna earn many shields's!![/quote]

I think the other admins prefer achievements to shields, so I don't think the achievements will be called shields. Besides, cormyn already explained why "achievements" is a better word.
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

I like the "shields" idea a lot. I just think "achievements" is too unoriginal, and "shields" is perfect for AG.
But what do you mean for translating them to other languages?

Xcalibur45
Xcalibur45
1,830 posts
Farmer

So do we ask the developers on this site to make an Achievement for AG3 or how does that work?

Showing 16-30 of 484