ForumsNews and FeedbackAchievements Suggestion

484 141016
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Hey everyone,

Here's a sticky thread to put achievement-based ideas and discussion.

Our plan is to engage game developers to send us periodic information about your game play, such as how many castles you've toppled in Crush the Castle, or how many times your dinosaur jumped in Treadmillasaurus Rex, etc. and that these pieces of information would accumulate to award you 'achievements' on AG3.

We're actively designing and building the achievement system right now, so as we have information, we'll share it here, but we're welcome to listen to ideas and feedback along the way.

• 484 Replies
ShardRaldevius
ShardRaldevius
108 posts
Nomad

These achievements stuffs will be available just in AG3 right? And someone knows when AG3 will be released?

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Yes, the Achievement system is being worked on right now and will be part of the AG3 launch.

We don't have a final launch date yet.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

They should have an achievement for being a moderator. 'You're so awesome we made you a mod and you get this shiny achievement.' and eventually correct the Acheivement misspelling on the Achievements page for a user.

Will you also attach achievements to the Top 25%, 10%, etc. on the high scores? That would be neat.

From what I see Larry working on, the achievements will be shield-shaped, but we'll still call them Achievements.

And since there won't be merits any longer, we could call them merits instead, for, uh, performing meritorious acts and to confuse people? :P
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

From how you just described it, it sounds like a great idea.

Do you have a guesstimate like next year? 6 months? 2 Years? anything at all that could give us an idea when its being launched?

I think that it'll be out sometime this summer.
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

I'm still not fully sure of how points are working, wether they are alongside reputation, or if reputation replaces them entirely, but, for example, if you get an achievement for making enough forum posts and then one of your posts is deleted, will you be stripped of the achievement?

JohnGarell
JohnGarell
1,752 posts
Peasant

If you look at Achievements it is TBD (I think). What does TBD stand for?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

What does TBD stand for?

To be determined, to be decided, to be discussed. It means that feature isn't available yet because they are still discussing it.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Do you have a guesstimate like next year? 6 months? 2 Years? anything at all that could give us an idea when its being launched?

AG3 public beta will be opened this summer. Final launch date will depend on how beta goes, bugs we find, etc.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Will you also attach achievements to the Top 25%, 10%, etc. on the high scores? That would be neat.

Yeah, I believe so. I'll probably go through our Moderator forum to find everyone that has been a Mod on AG2 and give them all an extra Achievement, we'll probably give an Achievement to everyone on the top 100 and top 10, we'll probably give one Achievement each for every range of 1000 points you have, up to 10k, then go in multiples of 5k or something. Firetail_madness will probably get a special Achievement for being #1 on the site. And then we'll probably give an achievement for getting even a single merit, and to the person with the most merits (don't know offhand who that is). And then we'll probably give Achievements for number of forum posts in quantities of 500 or 1000, dunno yet.

I'm still not fully sure of how points are working, wether they are alongside reputation, or if reputation replaces them entirely, but, for example, if you get an achievement for making enough forum posts and then one of your posts is deleted, will you be stripped of the achievement?

First off, every game-related Achievement will award points on AG3 to add to your overall "AG Score".

Secondly, the Reputation system will replace the current point system on AG2 to some degree, where you'll gain Reputation for community participation. But you won't gain Reputation simply by writing things, you'll have to earn it from votes.

Third, we probably won't give out Achievements for community participation, so the only Achievements you could have stripped from you are ones we delete from the system, or if we find out you're hacking high scores or submitting gameshares which are against our terms and rules. (ie, if we gave out an Achievement for 100 gameshares, and your 100th one was deleted, you'd have the Achievement removed, but you'd still have 99/100 progress toward that goal)

I forgot to mention progress indicators in my post earlier today. When you see the Achievements panel under supported games, you'll be able to see your progress toward reaching the goal, ie "35/50 head shots" or "50/250 castles crushed" that sort of thing, so you have some idea of how much more effort you need.

The other question brought up in our meeting was "what if I've finished a game, and the game developer adds achievements afterward? Do I automatically get those achievements?"

The answer is "it depends" ... if the game developer already tracks the kind of information (ie: total turtles smashed in Epic Combo), and then adds Achievements based on the number of turtles, then the next time you play the game, it *should* award you any relevant Achievements.

However, if the game developer hadn't tracked that information already in your saved game data, then there's no way we can award those Achievements unless you play the game all over again. Unfortunately there's no way around this scenario, and we hope that game developers have been tracking these kinds of things all along.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

to the person with the most merits (don't know offhand who that is).

nick_coolhaha.

From that description, it sounds like it'll be somewhat similar to Kongregate's achievements system for games. And I like that, I've wanted for AG to be able to give things from gameplay rather than just posting around the site. Also, from reading the posts about it within this thread, it sounds like it's going to be more organized. The beginning part of your post sounds good because it'll be rewarding people who have done a lot of things on AG2.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Yeah, and that's mostly because we're probably not migrating any of the old points, so we still want people to feel like they accomplished *something* on AG2...

valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

As I said on another thread, I would like to see achievementts for reaching goals as "100 comments", "1000 comments" or "100 forum posts", "500 forum posts", and why not "first merit".

BTW, will merits still be given on AG3?

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

we'll probably give an Achievement to everyone on the top 100 and top 10, we'll probably give one Achievement each for every range of 1000 points you have, up to 10k, then go in multiples of 5k or something. Firetail_madness will probably get a special Achievement for being #1 on the site.

Sorry, I wasn't being clear enough. I meant the individual high scores for the games that are attached to the Armor Games global high scores.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

BTW, will merits still be given on AG3?

Not the same way we have them now. Exceptional game comments will probably get promoted to become a "game review" and put into an area of the game play page where you could tab between "regular comments" and "game reviews" ... how we award the user for that, I don't know yet.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

On merits: Reading the various stickied threads in the newcomer's section would probably answer your questions better than asking about something in an unrelated thread.
You will find more information in said threads, but a quick description would be "reward of 25AP given for extraordinary game comment (or winning a merit awarding contest), given by a mod."

Showing 46-60 of 484