Forums

ForumsVideo Games

[Main Thread] CoD? Put it here!

Posted Jun 24, '11 at 4:30pm

KentyBK

KentyBK

556 posts

I don't know any game before MW2 that was so rediculous in its Map Packs deals, it's balancing (was there any?), and lack of dedicated servers. It was then I realized a bunch rubbish get thrown round and etc.

To make a bit of an excursion to other games, a lot of developers and publishers do this practice. While the balancing and the server thing are obviously CoD specific, there is another thing that affects the industry everywhere, DLC.

Nowadays, games are years in developement and even WHILE making the game, there are already plans and meetings for after lauch DLC, with some of the content being hidden away ON THE DISC itself. All a DLC code does, is unlock the already hidden content.

Loads of people are guilty of this:

- Capcom (Marvel vs Capcom 3 actually had hidden characters on the disc - which were planned as DLC obviously ;D; not to mention they charge outragous prices just for alternate costumes (!)=

- EA (and the EA owned companies along with them, including Bioware)

EA is especially guilty of this. I remember when Sims 3 came out (which believe it or not I actually bought because I wanted to try it out for once :3 - never played it again after a few hours >_&gt. What do I find? An EA online story that demands you pay for every.single.piece.of.furniture and ways to customze your character. Seperately of course. So essentially you were stuck with a game that has "some" things to work, but to have the "full" game you'd have to pay atleast twice as much as the original games FULL retail price (if not more).

It was the saddest thing I've ever seen.

- Valve

Even VALVE is guilty of this. They make Portal Co-Op and what do they do? Make a pointless shop that sells pointless hats for your robots. AT 5 BUCKS EACH. If you offer a collection of shop items, and the "total" price that you put a discount on comes out at 90 (Euros I might add), then something is seriously wrong.

- Bethesda

Yup, there were a variety of small side quests that were sold as DLC for Oblivion.

- Blizzard

25$ WoW horse armor. Enough said.

And the list goes on really. The issue isn't just CoD. It's the plague that is DLC.

And as I said, the 90s were being pretty famous for having a load of wannabe Mario games ;P

In such a bad fashion? I doubt so. If anything it could've been good - Halo would have dominated the market on Xbox and thus other platforms would have been considered -- of course this is hypothetical and thus we won't ever actually know but nonetheless... it sounds reasonable.

Honestly, Halo isn't going in a good direction either, since it's being milked for all it's worth. I mean they literally announced -3- new Halo games.

Side Note: Didn't Halo3 have the tagline "Finish the Fight"? >_>
Talk about false advertising.

Bare in mind it was called very difficult in Vanilla and Burning Crusade - people were very angry with the path that anyone could easily win at the game in Wrath of the Lich King, and it still remains in Cataclysm to a degree.

While I don't play WoW myself, I heard differently. More specifically, that Cataclysm is actually harder and the people that started Lich King are angry because of it.

Also what does the difficulty have to do with popularising Multiplayer? Just because something is simple doesn't mean it should be EASY, if that makes sense.

48-49 Million for Super Mario Bros but what I wanna ask is - how come these aren't regarded as the highest media sales of all time? :<

Or was it the time period CoD had?

Even then, Wii Sports has long since outsold it ;D

Biased for that? I look at games for what they can be used for. CoD can be used as a fast-paced and brainless game, is that a bad thing? No, not really. It's just that I think it has so much more praise than it deserves, so much attention and such little effort actually put into it.

So would it be safe to say that you don't think it is "bad", but instead that it is overrated? If so, I might have misuderstood your arguments ;P

Which games... exactly?

*points up*
It's really not specific to any game. The main problem lies with the standard industry practices of today.

Only Warcraft and SC1 has its influence in terms of LAN.

Notice how I put LAN seperately from B.net? xP

I was using Batlle.net as an argument for something that made "online gaming" more popular.

As for LAN, there's loads of possible things to list just for FPS:

- Quake
- Unreal/Unreal Tournament
- Counter Strike
- etc.

Including all the RTS games of old would make the list even bigger.

Bottomline- reviewers opinions = not trustworthy, then, correct?

Absolutely. At the very least, they shouldn't be put as gospel above the average consumer. They're opinionated just like all of us.

In conclusion, I think this discussion shouldn't continue in this thread in particular, since we tend to move away from CoD farther and farther (or atleast I do). :S

I don't want to be the guy that derailed the CoD thread, ya know? xD

Posted Jun 24, '11 at 5:22pm

jellyrocks7

jellyrocks7

7 posts

they should bring back vehicles

Posted Jun 24, '11 at 5:41pm

Highfire

Highfire

3,127 posts

While I don't play WoW myself, I heard differently. More specifically, that Cataclysm is actually harder and the people that started Lich King are angry because of it.

Yeah that's kinda the point. Wrath spoilt the players and Cataclysm is slowly reverting to the ways of Vanilla and Burning Crusade - those who prefered eZ mode are whining, put simply.

Not saying veterans weren't whining -- it's essentially the same thing when you listen to them, it sounds like a lot of herpa derp. :P

Also what does the difficulty have to do with popularising Multiplayer? Just because something is simple doesn't mean it should be EASY, if that makes sense.

Yeah I understand that but what I'm saying is Wrath raiding was so simple which is, in WoW's case, easy. :P

Even then, Wii Sports has long since outsold it ;D

Bare in mind the population growth - that's why I'd rather they done it in %. :P

So would it be safe to say that you don't think it is "bad", but instead that it is overrated? If so, I might have misuderstood your arguments ;P

Kind of both. CoD is certainly overrated but the debate can be taken further by saying it is bad -- technical issues for computer, balance issues on MW2 and etc.... My god.

points up*
It's really not specific to any game. The main problem lies with the standard industry practices of today.

For me I recognised it when MW2 started releasing map packs, somewhere around that time - I recognised it in WoW before that but not so much in other games, it's bloody disgraceful. What happened to the CoD4 method for PC (I think it should apply to consoles but sadly it did not)? Patch 1.6 introduced four new -- FREE maps to CoD4, why?

I don't know. But selling a "free DLC" off as a bonus when it was made prior to games release would bring in such customer goodwill and such, I don't know why they don't do it :<

I was using Batlle.net as an argument for something that made "online gaming" more popular.

Without a doubt.... Yes.

Absolutely. At the very least, they shouldn't be put as gospel above the average consumer. They're opinionated just like all of us.

Yep, they're not even professional if you ask me, it's not honest and that is the worst thing you can have as a reviewer. :P

In conclusion, I think this discussion shouldn't continue in this thread in particular, since we tend to move away from CoD farther and farther (or atleast I do). :S
I don't want to be the guy that derailed the CoD thread, ya know? xD

To reach a conclusion on the actual game I think it's acceptable.

- H

Posted Jun 24, '11 at 8:33pm

Gstroy

Gstroy

490 posts

Even then, Wii Sports has long since outsold it
Actually, it hasn't. Black Ops still holds the top spot for largest media sale in recorded history, closely followed by MW2. And besides, Wii Sports wasn't sold, it came with the Wii, therefor it can't be best selling.

Posted Jun 25, '11 at 12:43am

wuut

wuut

254 posts

Call of Duty 4 was the greatest shooter of all time, but ever since then the series has gone downhill. The game has become very unbalanced, they ruined sniping, and the new killstreaks are awful. IW and Activison are trying to much to appeal to the casual fan and IMO it's ruining the franchise.

I just wish they strip the game down and make it like CoD 4: balanced guns and perks, with a fair killstreak system.

Posted Jun 25, '11 at 5:14am

KentyBK

KentyBK

556 posts

Actually, it hasn't. Black Ops still holds the top spot for largest media sale in recorded history, closely followed by MW2. And besides, Wii Sports wasn't sold, it came with the Wii, therefor it can't be best selling.

And why do people buy consoles? To play games obviously. And since Wii Sports sold the numbers that it did even when they introduced several Wii bundles should be more than enough proof.

Not to mention I'm fairly sure this only works if you count all sales of all the CoD versions together. So really, if you discount Wii Sports for being bundled, you shouldn't count Multiplatform sales of CoD.

New Super Mario Bros. alone sold well over 20 million. And that's on a single console.

Posted Jun 25, '11 at 12:41pm

semra22

semra22

1 post

Just got Black Ops like a month ago its epic. Cant wait for MW3

Posted Jun 25, '11 at 3:25pm

Gstroy

Gstroy

490 posts

And why do people buy consoles? To play games obviously. And since Wii Sports sold the numbers that it did even when they introduced several Wii bundles should be more than enough proof.

Not to mention I'm fairly sure this only works if you count all sales of all the CoD versions together. So really, if you discount Wii Sports for being bundled, you shouldn't count Multiplatform sales of CoD.

New Super Mario Bros. alone sold well over 20 million. And that's on a single console.

Who cares? Black Ops sold more copies, on multiple platforms. That doesn't mean its unfair. My point is COD games are sold while Wii Sports is given, therefor it can't be the best selling game. And it wouldn't even matter, more copies of Black Ops have been sold than Wii's anyways.

Posted Jun 25, '11 at 4:03pm

Highfire

Highfire

3,127 posts

Instead of looking at how you added a secondary line of defense in your argument I'll go back to what I said before -- it doesn't matter, the basis of sales means NOTHING. Do I trust people to be intelligent or informed enough to make an educated decision? No, and I question peoples sanity if they do.

Given the amount of crap I've seen on CoD I doubt it even further, it is not up to sales, it's a severely inaccurate system, it's like giving your score on a race course in a mario games based on how fast you finished it. Because of all the banana peels, bombs (or is it shells? ) and etc that can be unstoppably thrown your way it is inaccurate.

- H

Posted Jun 25, '11 at 4:08pm

ScouseWarrior

ScouseWarrior

1,394 posts

Given the amount of crap I've seen on CoD I doubt it even further, it is not up to sales, it's a severely inaccurate system, it's like giving your score on a race course in a mario games based on how fast you finished it. Because of all the banana peels, bombs (or is it shells? ) and etc that can be unstoppably thrown your way it is inaccurate.

Have you never played Mario?!

Call of Duty, is a sell out because so many people think it is realistic. It is not want a realistic game buy Battlefield, I find CoD more of a game to play with freinds, that is why I only go on it when my freinds want me to!

Reply to [Main Thread] CoD? Put it here!

You must be logged in to post a reply!