ForumsThe TavernThe Weather

640 113956
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

I love the weather and have always been interested in it. To me, the creation of incredible storms and the patterns of heat, wind, fronts, and pressure systems in absolutely incredible, especially since many of these things still baffle humans!

I want to know: does anybody share my interest? Any other weather buffs out there? Or, some interesting story or fact about the weather?

Please, share it here!

• 640 Replies
eaglepaw
eaglepaw
322 posts
Nomad

it is raining.
and cold a bit.

DarkGamer99
DarkGamer99
608 posts
Nomad

It's raining here today also witch isn't good. But I guess it's good for the grass.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

We got a HUGE rainstorm Thursday and Friday; we received 5.34 inches of rain, most of it being on Thursday!

DarkGamer99
DarkGamer99
608 posts
Nomad

Now it's just cloudy here with a little rain.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

The rain is dissipating before it hits us now... Blah... Despite getting over five inches previously, the rain has now gone back to its old tricks of avoiding me...

eaglepaw
eaglepaw
322 posts
Nomad

rain rain rain.
it will be danger here.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Rain can't be a danger where I live, I think we had the most dry year since 2003 this year, at least up to now. It started to rain occasionally, eventually, but water level in lakes dropped quite a bit. I guess we had a big fat high pressure zone above Europe.

eaglepaw
eaglepaw
322 posts
Nomad

hahiha where do you live?

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

In Switzerland. I remember reading an article saying that even chinese people were hearing about our 'drought' (I hardly believe that though) and saying we're gonna have trouble... The biggest trouble we have so far is that farmers don't have a lot of grass to feed the cattle..

eaglepaw
eaglepaw
322 posts
Nomad

good country.
Alphs is cold so your country is cold too?

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Yeah, the alps are pretty high, but there is the flat middleland that isn't so extremely high, and it can get hot in summer. Especially in Ticino, a canton south of the alps, that has almost Italian climate
The alps generally do affect our climate rather much...

eaglepaw
eaglepaw
322 posts
Nomad

nice climate
you live in capital of Switzerland?

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

Oof! Drought is the only extreme weather I don't like. I assume you know why (especially since you're experiencing it).

By the way, have you heard of the Dust Bowl? It was a period of drought during the 1930's (right after the stock market crash) that hit the US and Canadian plains.

DarkGamer99
DarkGamer99
608 posts
Nomad

I hope you guy's are alright over that. That is very tough going through that.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Thanks. Well it did rain since then, I honestly don't know how the water levels are right now but I guess it's not that dramatic, it could have been worse. I also personally didn't feel a lot of consequences since we didn't have to economize water yet but it was hot...
That Dust Bowl however sounds awful. It must have completely ruined so many farmers... I found this picture, it looks pretty impressive:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d9/Dust_Storm_Texas_1935.jpg/300px-Dust_Storm_Texas_1935.jpg

Showing 76-90 of 640