ForumsThe TavernThe Weather

640 113948
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

I love the weather and have always been interested in it. To me, the creation of incredible storms and the patterns of heat, wind, fronts, and pressure systems in absolutely incredible, especially since many of these things still baffle humans!

I want to know: does anybody share my interest? Any other weather buffs out there? Or, some interesting story or fact about the weather?

Please, share it here!

• 640 Replies
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

@HahiHa

Yeah, it lasted about a decade and was caused by a period of extreme drought plus farmers excessively plowing topsoil, leaving it weak and exposed. Cold fronts would flow through the area, pushing the dirt and dust tens of, sometimes about a hundred, miles in the sky.

Hope your drought comes to an end soon. That's a hard thing to cope with... I'll do my rain dance for you.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

@HahiHa
Imagine being on that farm when that's coming at you:
"It's such a lovely day. Well time to get to work."
*Turns around and sees the dust wall*
"FUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCC-" *dust wall hits him*

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Imagine being on that farm when that's coming at you:
"It's such a lovely day. Well time to get to work."
*Turns around and sees the dust wall*
"FUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCC-" *dust wall hits him*

Must have been horrible... you think this can be compared to what has happened recently in Iceland, with the eruptions?

http://www.rundschau-online.de/ks/images/mdsBild/1305722899511l.jpg

Though the volcanic ash serves as great fertilizer for the fields, I guess this wasn't the case with the dust back then...
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

@HahiHa

Yeah, the Dust Bowl was the opposite: it took away the topsoil that farmers needed to grow their crops. You can also imagine the economic effect on the U.S. (since this happened during the Great Depression).

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

I'd have to say I enjoy the rough seas more than the calm ones. The rough seas look much more interesting and beautiful and really display the sea's marvelous - and terrifying - power.

ComradeWolf
ComradeWolf
358 posts
Nomad

Rough sea's also means my line of work is unsafe. I prefer calm sea to be personal. Considering I don't want the ship im on to capsize in the middle of the ocean without any way of getting help fast enough...

As for the current weather, hot and dry. I've been working for the past weeks now, its had light rains off and on as usual.

eaglepaw
eaglepaw
322 posts
Nomad

rain is finished there.

DarkGamer99
DarkGamer99
608 posts
Nomad

My weather for today is gloomy and cloudy. It looks like rain could be coming.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

Anybody like mountain mist?

http://7art-screensavers.com/wallpapers/mist-0/xls/mountain-mist-trees.jpg

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Mountain mist is beautiful to look at, but i'm not a fan of being in it.

Weather here today has been so all over the place.
Sunny, rain, cloudy, sunny, rain, cloudy.

Make up your mind mother nature.

DarkGamer99
DarkGamer99
608 posts
Nomad

I know right. It's been cloudy for the past few day's now here.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

@EmporerPalpatine
That mountain mist looks beautiful, but I'd think it'd be a pain to be in. All chilly and wet. Bleck.

@Jefferysinspiration and @DarkGamer99
The weather where I live is being very fickle right now...
Just last week for the State Soccer Tournament it was in the 90's and muggy, and today it's cloudy and 60! To add to that, some nasty thunderstorms are headed our way. How is this possible when it's 60 outside? Where are these storms getting their energy?

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

Hurricane season has officially started. I already know of one storm in the Pacific. I cannot provide a link at the moment, but I will later. I believe it impacted the northern parts of Mexico's western coast, and reached Category 1 status. Not completely sure, though...

DarkGamer99
DarkGamer99
608 posts
Nomad

Lucky for me MA don't get those hardly ever. We get the left overs. Like the rains and the winds. That is all we get from those hurricanes. Once in a rare while we might get one.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

Oh, yeah. I've heard of only a few hitting Massachusetts, but when they do, they tend to be nasty. I can't remember its name or year (I feel bad), but once a nasty hurricane whizzed up the East Coast (seriously, it travelled like at 70mph) and caused massive flooding everywhere. I hope that doesn't happen to you!
I'm pretty safe 'cause I'm in Iowa. :P However, we (Iowans) did get hit by the remnants of Hurricane Ivan a few years ago. That was weird. Tropical moisture, you know? It doesn't dissipate like normal storms...

Showing 91-105 of 640