ForumsWEPRHomosexuality

3228 432329
XeroGeez
XeroGeez
90 posts
Nomad

Apperently it's a big hot topic right now, so I want to know how gamers feel about it?

• 3,228 Replies
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Just went back some pages, and I'm facepalming at the stupidity of some of the posts here.

Mee iz 2!
---------
All in all, homophobia isn't because it's a phobia, but dislike of them is prejudice.
Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

I wouldn't say that. I don't hate gays, and I don't go out of my way to deny them rights, but it still creeps me out. I can't really help that.
True.
And just like it can be uncomfortable to look at straights doing heavy petting in public, of course it can be iffy to see gays doing that... (Though some guys would probably love to see girls making out in public. >_&gt

It's basically the same as with some paraphilias. You may not specifically mind that your neighbour gets turned on by being whipped, but you reeeeeeeally don't wanna know the details of said whipping.

That's probably the best insult I've seen today >
It was a really good one. XD

All in all, homophobia isn't because it's a phobia, but dislike of them is prejudice.
In order for it to be a phobia, people need to be afraid. If someone isn't afraid of homosexuals for some reason, they are kinda not a homophobe, but just full of prejudice.

And as it is with most phobias, fear of homosexuals is irrational.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

In order for it to be a phobia, people need to be afraid. If someone isn't afraid of homosexuals for some reason, they are kinda not a homophobe, but just full of prejudice.

QFMT. But, I don't think they should be blamed because it's an irrational fear-I guarantee you that phobias are not something people can help. It's like homosexuality; it's not a choice. And that shouldn't be held against people. But, if it isn't a phobia, then it's prejudice.
BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

And just like it can be uncomfortable to look at straights doing heavy petting in public, of course it can be iffy to see gays doing that...

Yes, that's true as well. Glad you understand.
It really isn't any of my business, but since it's become such an issue, I can't help but hear about it. It is irrational, I know, but like you said, most phobias are.
Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

But, I don't think they should be blamed because it's an irrational fear-I guarantee you that phobias are not something people can help.
Not blamed, but they should try to work on getting rid of that phobia. Reminds me, I still need to figure out how to get rid of my nyctophobia...

But, if it isn't a phobia, then it's prejudice.

And prejudice stems from not knoqing. People need to be more critical of what they are told if prejudice is to be eradicated.

Yes, that's true as well. Glad you understand.
It really isn't any of my business, but since it's become such an issue, I can't help but hear about it. It is irrational, I know, but like you said, most phobias are.
I do try my best to understand all views as I come across them. Some I find the need to argue with, others (like yours) are just sorta... Uhmkay, moving along now since there's not really anything to do when we both agree that it's irrational but still there.
People who make a conscious decision to think of something as wrong or disgusting, now those are worth picking an argument with. :3
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Im sorry for your minds,I really am,how can you like gays?

Because we've actually met some of them.
---------
Not blamed, but they should try to work on getting rid of that phobia. Reminds me, I still need to figure out how to get rid of my nyctophobia...

I have building- and bridge-deconstructophobia, and half-nyctophobia. (like, I'm only afraid of the dark inside. It's weird.)
-----------
And prejudice stems from not knoqing. People need to be more critical of what they are told if prejudice is to be eradicated.

QFT. GAGAMEN supports that hugely without lifting a finger -.-
---------
pickleshack
pickleshack
356 posts
Nomad

My mom and brother are gay...they are not diseased, and they are two of the most decent people I have ever met. I think homophobia extends from a deep seeded fear that the person harboring it is gay themselves.

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

I think homophobia extends from a deep seeded fear that the person harboring it is gay themselves.
Which again relates to the prejudice that being gay is wrong or bad. If they were not raised to think that being homosexual or bisexual was bad in some way, they would not be afraid of finding out whether or not they are.

(I recall having read some studies showing that a large amount of admitted homophobes actually had homosexual tendencies...)

It is okay to not like gays in the same grade that it is okay not to like any other group of people for irrational reasons. It is not okay to persecute any group of people due to an irrational dislike. It is not okay to be hating someone just for one side of their personality and just assume that they are the stereotype of that group of people which you dislike/hate without knowing anything other than their sexual orientation.

I've missed this thread. XD
caucasiafro
caucasiafro
338 posts
Nomad

I think homophobia extends from a deep seeded fear that the person harboring it is gay themselves.

That is very likely true, I mean Hitler was part Jewish, but does this mean that republicans are gay?
Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

but does this mean that republicans are gay?

lol'd

I'm gonna go back to Freud here The ego uses several mechanisms to prevent the id's impulses from getting to the super-ego- protection against anxiety. examples of these are: out-right denial of the impulses. Rationalisation of the anxiety into shortcomings of yourself. and (the relevant one) Projection which means that you see in others "unacceptable feelings" that reside in your own unconscious. Freud described homophobia as unconscious feelings of repressed homosexuality. Then again this Freud.
TSL3_needed
TSL3_needed
5,579 posts
Nomad

That is very likely true, I mean Hitler was part Jewish, but does this mean that republicans are gay?

That was quite offensive I'll have you know. >
MrGreenrune
MrGreenrune
44 posts
Nomad

well why do they have this as a topic serouly i think people are wrong to be homosexual

A horrible, horrible misconception is that you "choose" to be homosexual. Did you "choose" to have a crush on that girl in Middle School? Did you "choose" to find women attractive?
Psychoace
Psychoace
384 posts
Nomad

A horrible, horrible misconception is that you "choose" to be homosexual. Did you "choose" to have a crush on that girl in Middle School? Did you "choose" to find women attractive?

I don't think that can really be used in the same context, as all animals are naturally heterosexual. Granted you do have those instances where a monkey will get his rocks off on another dude monkey or a killer whale doing the same thing, but I find that just to be a way to get sexual release and that seems to be the only animal around. *shrugs*
ktwngr
ktwngr
179 posts
Nomad

I am not opposed to people being homosexual. I am a Christian, though I may not agreed with EVERY SINGLE THING the Bible says. It really should not matter who someone loves or anything. Judging people on sexual orientation is just as unacceptable as juding on religion, ethnicity, and gender. I understand that people may feel that homosexuality is wrong, as I personally am straight, but those who feel taht way should not just go and bash homosexuals. We need to learn how to have our opinions and express them in a way that is not purposely offensive, and not rude.

napolian654321
napolian654321
922 posts
Nomad

I am a Christian, though I may not agreed with EVERY SINGLE THING the Bible says.

Well, the whole Bible comes from God. And if you are a true Christian you love God and believe everything He says. Can you explain to me what parts you don't believe in?
Showing 3166-3180 of 3228