ForumsGamesRenting vs Buying

136 23383
ide4749
ide4749
310 posts
Nomad

Do you rent or buy your games or in other words if would you rather rent or buy games?

• 136 Replies
AngelOfDemon
AngelOfDemon
418 posts
Nomad

i used to buy games, but then I saw a commercial for gamefly, now I rent a game using gamefly, then i send it back when i get bored with it. Its really good

ide4749
ide4749
310 posts
Nomad

is downloading the same as buying because if it isn't you can say you rather do that and then answer the real question

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

It all depends on the game... sure, there are certain ones that I would just rent so I could play through the story, but after that, there's no real replay value, so it sits on my desk and collects dust. (prime example: Bioshock). There are certain games, however, that have a huge amount of replay value (like Black Ops and The Soul Calibur Series)

ide4749
ide4749
310 posts
Nomad

How do you even know if it's a good enough game to buy i mean u can't judge it and other people and the internet might not have the same taste in game like you so you can buy the game and if it's bad take out your recept and return it.

MrMoneh
MrMoneh
78 posts
Nomad

I'd rent a few games to just get the achievements, games I wouldn't quite keep a hold on normally, And for the games I'd choose just to play for a longer duration, buy those.

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,816 posts
Peasant

Depends on the game really. I bought Quantum theory thinking it'd be awesome, but I got through it twice in two days so it's really more of a rent than a buy. Then there're games like Fallout which you cannot rent, simply because they're too complete and complex to discover in a single rent.
And then there's the taste issue; for example, Shadow of the Colossus. The game has about only 10 hours of gameplay, but it's so fantastic it's a must have for any video game amateur, for those time when you just feel like slaying some giants.

ide4749
ide4749
310 posts
Nomad

I guess i was wrong you can buy from a series you really like and rent from one you just want to beat the game with.

ide4749
ide4749
310 posts
Nomad

I also rent games i can't afford at the time like at redbox

Pluse
Pluse
46 posts
Shepherd

I buy them and save me money in the long run. Since I can pick them up used which are just like new I can get a new game that came out 3-4 days ago for 20 bucks other than 60 bucks.

gbnxc
gbnxc
192 posts
Nomad

I just buy games but i usually wait a while and find out if their good from my friends who have it

Dregus2
Dregus2
502 posts
Blacksmith

Well, if you're thinking long term it's best to buy it. But if you just want to play the game for a while it's best to rent it.

vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

How do you even know if it's a good enough game to buy i mean u can't judge it and other people and the internet might not have the same taste in game like you so you can buy the game and if it's bad take out your recept and return it.

I wait for a while after the game comes out and I look on youtube for videos and also for reviews from gameinformer. And then, I decide on what to get and what not to get it.
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

There are certain games, however, that have a huge amount of replay value (like Black Ops and The Soul Calibur Series)

Well the thing is if you have Gamefly you can actually buy the game you already have out for rental for much cheaper then you would otherwise through gamefly, especially if you've been a member for over a year which gives you an additional 10% discount and $5 credit towards the purchase of games which is renewed every 3 months or so. I feel like a spokesperson now for some reason, but regardless renting can actually help you with that as well as the fact that renting a game in the first place gives you a good idea of whether or not the game even has replay value in the first place.
Zultimategamer2000
Zultimategamer2000
430 posts
Nomad

Personally I think renting is better for a few reasons.

1. Costs less to play more games.
2. You can return a bad game without losing money.
3. It costs way more to buy every game you want, or think you might want.

TysonD
TysonD
35 posts
Farmer

Depends on the game, if it is a beat the game and its game over than i would rent..if it is one that i could play online and continue to build a better profile I would buy it

Showing 61-75 of 136