ForumsArt, Music, and WritingGuanxi (Game Development)

67 25563
ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

Hello, yes, I really did make another AMW thread. But I didn't do it because I felt like it, but because I think it's necessary. Without further ado, I will inform you what this thread is all about.
It is going to be used as a development log for all my work on my current project. [insert title here]
I'm going to log every day I work on it, just so you all can see how I go about making this. Possibly Darkroot too, if he decides to post here. Yes, he's the programmer.
Day 1
Today was the starter day, and I was super psyched that Darkroot agreed to join me. Whoo! While we just started, I got some stuff done.
Things accomplished:
- Main character sprite sheet. [insert character name here]
- Place-holder art for first "section" islands.
Thing to accomplish in the near future:
- Add more characters.
- Create a concrete game write-up.
- Add some detail.
Well, the island view is rather long, and I don't think it will fit on AG full view, so here's a link. Link. Also, remember, this is just place-holder art, which means it's not nearly finished.
The sprite sheet is not really 100% visible. Since, AG has a white background, and considering that the character's legs are white. So it would be basically invisible unless put on a backdrop...

• 67 Replies
ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

Day 38:

I've been getting several emails from musicians saying their willing to make some awesome music for Guanxi.

And their music really is just that, awesome. So it's rather difficult for me just to choose one, but I think I might just end picking two to possibly try a collab on the tracks.

I can also pitch in, because I have done my fair share of music.

~Stay tuned~

ug5151
ug5151
587 posts
Nomad

Obviously, MY game development won't be until I get flash of course, but I still can't wait for this game.

ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

Thanks, ug5151! Hope you get Flash soon! You might want to start out with GameMaker, or Stencyl.

Day 41:

I have officially decided on the musician to do the all the music for Guanxi, which is super exciting! For me, at least. His name is Fluidvolt, although he doesn't have an account here, I can post his stuff here, with crediting him, of course. He whipped up a nice cave-setting tune in the time span of what, two days?
Have a listen!

ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

Day 44

Hey everyone, so I just wanted to let you know that iTrojans made a wordpress blog for Guanxi! It's really nice of him, and it's looks great so far! check it out!

On the music side, Fluidvolt has already made two tracks, and their beautiful! Enchanting Grotto, a lovely cave-setting, and Overworld, an upbeat hometown setting.

ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

Day 45:

Darkroot is finishing up his class, so we're getting able to kick this into full speed!

Things to start
- Details: Trees, Rocks, etc.
- Second town
- Ranks/badges

Things to continue
- More townsfolk
- Buildings

Things to finish
- Polishing up 1st town (undecided name)

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/205/9/0/town_1_by_schquid-d41jedl.png

First town ^

ug5151
ug5151
587 posts
Nomad

People really need to get active and help you out. The first town should be Trojan City (named after your friend making the music )

ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

The first town should be Trojan City (named after your friend making the music )

Heh. iTrojans actually made the blog, he's not apart of the team, he's just kind enough to help out. Fluidvolt is making the music, haha.

Thanks for your interest!
iTrojans
iTrojans
296 posts
Nomad

[quote]The first town should be Trojan City (named after your friend making the music )

Heh. iTrojans actually made the blog, he's not apart of the team, he's just kind enough to help out. Fluidvolt is making the music, haha.

Thanks for your interest! [/quote]

May I sugest the names of the cities be after everyone who help make the game like Darkroot City, Oak Town, Fluidvolt Metro-city . Then from there on you should come up with names for cities (BTW Ug I'm not helping out making the game I'm just doing the Dev-Blog.
ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

May I sugest the names of the cities be after everyone who help make the game like Darkroot City, Oak Town, Fluidvolt Metro-city . Then from there on you should come up with names for cities.

Meh, I don't really like the idea of that, since it will be very noticeable for people who have been following this. I mean, it's not that difficult to use some imagination for town names. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Just a random note, can you name a tree 'Shepard'? It doesn't even have to contribute anything to the story. A bit of an easter egg.

Erm, how exactly would I go about naming a tree? Putting a name tag on it? lol d:

Cheers~
iTrojans
iTrojans
296 posts
Nomad

[quote]May I sugest the names of the cities be after everyone who help make the game like Darkroot City, Oak Town, Fluidvolt Metro-city . Then from there on you should come up with names for cities.

Meh, I don't really like the idea of that, since it will be very noticeable for people who have been following this. I mean, it's not that difficult to use some imagination for town names. Thanks for the suggestion though![/quote]

You are welcome for the idea, I though I'd just try to help out I can come up with a list of city names tomorrow if you'd like. It won't be difficult. But if you don't want me to I won't just want to help in any way possible.

[quote]Just a random note, can you name a tree 'Shepard'? It doesn't even have to contribute anything to the story. A bit of an easter egg.

Erm, how exactly would I go about naming a tree? Putting a name tag on it? lol d:

Cheers~[/quote]

When I read that I was like "How do you do that? Like write the name on the tree", I was confused about it.
ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

Day 49

I came up with a great idea tonight and I put it to work. The basic idea is creative advertising on the streets, maybe people will join in! If you've heard of QR codes, you'll know what you're looking at, but if you aren't familiar with this, here's an explanation.

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv242/M4tth3wpics/IMG_4784-1-1.jpg

I'll be pasting these on street corners and such. I'll be sure to show you the end results.

(By the way, the code leads to our fan-blog over here!)

If you want to input some sort of easter egg system, I'd be happy.

I'd definitely love some easter eggs, but not not in the town name form. I'll think of something fun, don't worry.
iTrojans
iTrojans
296 posts
Nomad

I hope the QR ad campaigns work. They should work fairly well as I've seen tons of people actually use them and look at it.

Also Day 49 Game Update is now on the Dev-Blog. A new post will be added regarding the QR codes if people took a picture of them and went to the website. Just giving you all a quick heads-up about some updates.

ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

A new post will be added regarding the QR codes if people took a picture of them and went to the website. Just giving you all a quick heads-up about some updates.

Awesome, I think it would be neat to have a login for people to write in.

Also, someone over in L.A. offered to put up some posters for me, since he can make a bunch of copies in his office. So happy!
iTrojans
iTrojans
296 posts
Nomad

You should make a Facebook fan-page for the game (I know you have a Facebook, not your name or anything, I checked the site stats and one was Facebook).

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

This is the first time I've ever heard of QR codes. I've seen them around but I only have ever seen them in armorgames' games, so I figured it was just as ub-logo.

Now I know.

Showing 31-45 of 67