ForumsArt, Music, and WritingGuanxi (Game Development)

67 25592
ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

Hello, yes, I really did make another AMW thread. But I didn't do it because I felt like it, but because I think it's necessary. Without further ado, I will inform you what this thread is all about.
It is going to be used as a development log for all my work on my current project. [insert title here]
I'm going to log every day I work on it, just so you all can see how I go about making this. Possibly Darkroot too, if he decides to post here. Yes, he's the programmer.
Day 1
Today was the starter day, and I was super psyched that Darkroot agreed to join me. Whoo! While we just started, I got some stuff done.
Things accomplished:
- Main character sprite sheet. [insert character name here]
- Place-holder art for first "section" islands.
Thing to accomplish in the near future:
- Add more characters.
- Create a concrete game write-up.
- Add some detail.
Well, the island view is rather long, and I don't think it will fit on AG full view, so here's a link. Link. Also, remember, this is just place-holder art, which means it's not nearly finished.
The sprite sheet is not really 100% visible. Since, AG has a white background, and considering that the character's legs are white. So it would be basically invisible unless put on a backdrop...

• 67 Replies
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Also, someone over in L.A. offered to put up some posters for me, since he can make a bunch of copies in his office. So happy!

I would do the same for you, if i lived in a semi populated area.
ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

Day 51

Alright, so yesterday I put up my first poster on a nearby street! I didn't end up getting it laminated, so I'm not sure how it is going to last... I'll be checking on it every couple days, plus putting some more up. I'll be sure to post some final results soon.

Also, Fluidvolt is in the process of making a track for a Winter setting, check out what he has [URL=http://soundcloud.com/fluidvolt/winter-returns]so far![/URL]

You should make a Facebook fan-page for the game

Ah, that's a good idea, I'll look into it.
ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

I noticed that this thread was renamed to Guanxi (Game Development). I think that's cool, especially since you have decided on the game's name.

iTrojans
iTrojans
296 posts
Nomad

Day 51 Dev-Blog update has been posted.

ug5151
ug5151
587 posts
Nomad

This is really starting to get alot more exciting!

ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

Day 53

What's this? Level Up!!!

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv242/M4tth3wpics/levelup.gif

Darkroot is almost finished with his class, so we'll be working super fast from there on! I believe it ends August 8th, whoo!

I've finished up a lot of foliage for Summer and Spring, I'll be releasing the file with all of it after I polish it up.

ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

Day 54

Here's some development sketches~

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv242/M4tth3wpics/IMG_4829.jpg?t=1312405005

Detail:

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv242/M4tth3wpics/IMG_4830.jpg?t=1312405051

I haven't decided if I'm going to add those supports in the final thing...

iTrojans
iTrojans
296 posts
Nomad

Day 54 Dev-Blog update as been posted.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

I haven't decided if I'm going to add those supports in the final thing...
From what I've seen of the art, the supports seem more thematically consistent.
ug5151
ug5151
587 posts
Nomad

Very nice job!

ug5151
ug5151
587 posts
Nomad

btw, any word on a demo yet?

ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

Sorry guys for not updating this. Honestly, I'm more concerned about updating the devlog over here.

@ug5151: Were preoccupied getting this first mountain town to look and play flawlessly over anything. We're certain this is our only goal right now. Once we release this and hear words from the people following it, we'll consider continuing the story (which I'd really love to do!). So to answer your question, there's not going to be a demo, the game as we have so far is a big enough project, but a demo/beta testing is definitely not necessary.

Thanks for your interest. (:

ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

How big are you planning on making the game?

Not nearly as complete or big as your normal flash game. I cannot really put a time completion on it, because it's a different experience every time you play (if you don't save, that is). What I mean by that is, if you happen to forget to save, next time you play the game, the puzzles/mission will not only be mixed up, but some of them will also be different.
To answer your question shortly, it's a big project, but the game itself isn't that large, but it's a decent size. Thanks for your interest.
SuperstarSilver
SuperstarSilver
66 posts
Nomad

i wish you luck with the game, professor. plus, you inspired me to do pixel art

Showing 46-60 of 67