ForumsNews and FeedbackArmatar Updates (no custom armatars)

261 88401
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

This is another re-take on the Armatar discussion because we need to clarify a few points.

First, this topic is to discuss how the AG3 beta manages armatars.

Secondly, if you just want to ask for new armatars, discuss it with Dan.

Third, we are still discussing whether we want to allow custom armatars in the future, because of copyright and licensing issues that will come up from that, so that idea is ON HOLD.

If messages in here aren't about the interface we've built, how we could improve it, etc., then I'll probably trim the message.

Questions about how to unlock armatars, etc., are totally welcome and I'll provide answers as I have them. As of the time I write this, the understanding I have is that all AG2 armatars will be unlocked on AG3 by default, and we will unlock seasonal armatars through some process eventually.

We are also going to start asking game developers for one or more armatars related to their game, which users can select, but I don't think they'll be locked in any way. We've talked about unlocking special armatars based on achievements, but since achievements aren't finished yet, we can't go into much detail on that.

• 261 Replies
benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

They won't be hard to get in AG3 since you can choose whichever one out of the current selection no matter how many points you have.

So there are not going to be any that you need to unlock with a certain amount of points? But that was the fun part.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

From the looks of it they'll just be giving you all the pictures and choosing when to turn on and off the holiday/seasonal armatars. But meh, they're just pictures. I don't like the whole idea of having to unlock them with points to begin with, I'd like to use whichever one from the start.

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

Does anyone know at all whether the original starry background blue shield armatar will be available?

invalid777
invalid777
2,074 posts
Nomad

Does anyone know at all whether the original starry background blue shield armatar will be available?

Sometimes it will show up on your profile page. But that's only when the site glitches.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

I believe Cormyn mentioned that one being back on the site in AG3, but seeing as we don't have an active admin posting in this section we really don't know much aside from what has already been said before.
benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

Will there be any new armatars or just the current selection? Not that I'm complaining or anything, there are plenty there.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

They have mentioned turning on and off the seasonal armatars, so that's an extra 30+ for each season. There will also be flash game based armatars.

benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

flash game based armatars.

^_^ sounds like fun. Would these be armatars that people would have to play the game to unlock, or reach a certain stage in that game?
DrElmer
DrElmer
552 posts
Shepherd

They have mentioned turning on and off the seasonal armatars

Will be we able to make new ones or do we have to stick with the ones we have?
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Would these be armatars that people would have to play the game to unlock, or reach a certain stage in that game?

I don't know for sure. In closed beta they had a few from Elephant Quest and a castle game with vikings, but they were available like all the others.
Will be we able to make new ones or do we have to stick with the ones we have?

The title of this thread says "no custom armatars", so unfortunately we will have to stick with the ones they give until they decide to introduce custom armatars.
DrElmer
DrElmer
552 posts
Shepherd

The title of this thread says "no custom armatars", so unfortunately we will have to stick with the ones they give until they decide to introduce custom armatars.

We won't even be able to submit our own seasonal armatars?
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

We won't even be able to submit our own seasonal armatars?

Probably not for a while. They'll have to first get someone to manage an event like that, such as a moderator or administrator.
DrElmer
DrElmer
552 posts
Shepherd

That wouldn't be too hard. Just give all the moderators the ability to add seasonal armaatrs to the list, and have one in charge of all of it.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

But they have to get approval from the administrators. It's all up to Dan if it passes or not. And a mod has to be willing to hold the contests.

bawsman
bawsman
11 posts
Nomad

I like the idea of more armatars.

Showing 136-150 of 261