ForumsNews and FeedbackArmatar Updates (no custom armatars)

261 88393
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

This is another re-take on the Armatar discussion because we need to clarify a few points.

First, this topic is to discuss how the AG3 beta manages armatars.

Secondly, if you just want to ask for new armatars, discuss it with Dan.

Third, we are still discussing whether we want to allow custom armatars in the future, because of copyright and licensing issues that will come up from that, so that idea is ON HOLD.

If messages in here aren't about the interface we've built, how we could improve it, etc., then I'll probably trim the message.

Questions about how to unlock armatars, etc., are totally welcome and I'll provide answers as I have them. As of the time I write this, the understanding I have is that all AG2 armatars will be unlocked on AG3 by default, and we will unlock seasonal armatars through some process eventually.

We are also going to start asking game developers for one or more armatars related to their game, which users can select, but I don't think they'll be locked in any way. We've talked about unlocking special armatars based on achievements, but since achievements aren't finished yet, we can't go into much detail on that.

• 261 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Well, technically we have three different official armatar artists. The one that made the ones like yours, which is most likely vector based, then the one that made the more sketchy mythology set, and then Zophia's dinos.
And then perhaps one of the staff members that made the shields when they decided poor mods and dedicated users should no longer be able to keep the armatar they knew and loved.

I do enjoy the first batch, it is very good, though some of the expressions and colours might not have been what I picked, had I been in that situation.
But well, there is a reason why I am trying to imitate the style when I do armatries.

321Waffle
321Waffle
5 posts
Nomad

Is the only way to unlock new Armatars by getting AP?

Omnihero10
Omnihero10
2,515 posts
Nomad

yea... that getting old. y not beat a game and unlock the Army of ages armatar or any game thats promoted by Armor games... y not have armatars like "achievment" but you can read up on what you gotta do, just let it happen

Marius2323
Marius2323
199 posts
Nomad

When I come on the beta, I see my old armatar!
That's weird..

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Is the only way to unlock new Armatars by getting AP?

Currently, but on AG3 they may scrap that idea and make them public.
Man_O_War
Man_O_War
3 posts
Peasant

I really don't like the idea of custom Armatars based on my experience with Call of Duty Black Ops. In COD/BO, you can use the system to create a custom logo, avatar that is harassing, sexist and very immoral to many other users. I feel that in this game setting, people will use programs to create .jpgs or bitmaps that will be offensive in nature. Even if they are pulled down or kicked, I dont want to see it even for a minute. An avatar shaped like a **** or other body parts, would be highly offensive to many. So please dont allow for it. Just use only your own imbedded custom avatars. They are good enough for This type of game playing.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

I can only assume that was the reason the staff has put custom armatars at the bottom of their to-do list and "No custom armatars" has been added to the title.
One thing that has been pointed out, however, is that if they do actually add a way to add your own armatars, they will not be instantly usable, but will have to go through a throughout check on both copyright, trademarks and whether it is following the rules or not, you will not be able to add armatars before you either have a specific amount of points, a specifically high reputation or both.
And if you do post something that will break the rules, is copyrighted or looks anything like something that would offend people or get AG in trouble, you would probably be banned.

So fearing abusive, offensive armatars is probably not something that you should even relate to AG.

joshuabaillargeon
joshuabaillargeon
60 posts
Nomad

you should use custom armatars after filtering. have you decided yet?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

you should use custom armatars after filtering

Filtering would most likely be manual, given the hundreds of ways humans can ingeniously disguise undesirable imagery. After thousands of years of existence, and we still use our creativity, for the most part, on our most base and primal urges. I doubt a bot can be created to begin the sorting the process, and it would be unfair on the mods/admins to filter every single one of the armatars.
Schmiddy1234
Schmiddy1234
1,075 posts
Nomad

May i ask:
How do u even get to have a custom armatar in the first place?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

May i ask:
How do u even get to have a custom armatar in the first place?

The Custom Armatars we have in AG2 were user-drawn and taken from the Seasonal Armatar Contests. I would think that in AG3, the original idea that many wanted implemented is to upload a picture of their own as a custom Armatar. Hopefully, this won't be the case though.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Hmm, screw the OP and following the rules for a bit (since the staff doubtfully is even reading this thread for suggestions anymore, them being busy and trying to fix stuff people complain about).

Think of it, if they end up allowing usermade armatars like the ones in the armatar contests. We all know that some people will be doing their stuff themselves, but with an actual opportunity to get (almost) whatever you want, either for only you to use, or for a selected group or whatnot, I can only assume the AMW section will be the one place to go for customized armatars. Some users will probably advertise that they are doing requests in their about, or perhaps do so in the art section, while others might be sought out and begged in their threads or on their profile, depending on their abilities and interest in doing things for free (as AG would doubtfully allow paying for armatars).
Now, what I really wonder is whether this will be considered a good or a bad thing, since we have a nice community at large, that wouldn't jump to harassment if they are denied.
But how would such a development be viewed from a more, well, rule-minded point of view? If a certain user only have the ability to upload a certain amount of armatars, they might not be able to keep up. Someone might want the armatar for private use, in case that is possible, but would that be considered against the rules, to use the work of another user as their own, even if they have all the rights/permission to do so?

I am not quite sure where my opinion lies, but perhaps the opinion of others might clear it up a little.

Schmiddy1234
Schmiddy1234
1,075 posts
Nomad

oh ok thx so much nicho!

TheSuperSaiyan1
TheSuperSaiyan1
326 posts
Nomad

nice nicho, very nice job

NecroSRB
NecroSRB
11 posts
Nomad

It would be awesome if we can make our armateurs and if AG like it they will share it

Showing 196-210 of 261