ForumsNews and FeedbackArmatar Updates (no custom armatars)

261 88624
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

This is another re-take on the Armatar discussion because we need to clarify a few points.

First, this topic is to discuss how the AG3 beta manages armatars.

Secondly, if you just want to ask for new armatars, discuss it with Dan.

Third, we are still discussing whether we want to allow custom armatars in the future, because of copyright and licensing issues that will come up from that, so that idea is ON HOLD.

If messages in here aren't about the interface we've built, how we could improve it, etc., then I'll probably trim the message.

Questions about how to unlock armatars, etc., are totally welcome and I'll provide answers as I have them. As of the time I write this, the understanding I have is that all AG2 armatars will be unlocked on AG3 by default, and we will unlock seasonal armatars through some process eventually.

We are also going to start asking game developers for one or more armatars related to their game, which users can select, but I don't think they'll be locked in any way. We've talked about unlocking special armatars based on achievements, but since achievements aren't finished yet, we can't go into much detail on that.

• 261 Replies
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Carlie had a wonderful thread competition going back in 2009/2010 with those seasonal armatars and I'm hoping they will re-introduce this when the new website launches! =)

I know Cenere made an attempt to get it back, but none of the admins responded on the matter and it is deemed futile for now... but who knows? Never say never!

sleepingman11
sleepingman11
7 posts
Nomad

Y can you only choose from the list

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Y can you only choose from the list

Because custom armatars are currently not allowed.
Laughable97
Laughable97
125 posts
Nomad

I know this is a bit old but how about a customisable armatar. There could be premade items that you can move around in a simple editor for your armatar and if done right you could make some cool looking things.

Even better if they were acheivements in games. That way you could tell someone actually played (For example) the last stand a lot just by looking at their armatar.

thejax123
thejax123
45 posts
Nomad

I know this is a bit old but how about a customisable armatar. There could be premade items that you can move around in a simple editor for your armatar and if done right you could make some cool looking things.

Customizable avatrs editor programm will really take a long time,an armatar contest is better
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

In conclusion : we will all have to wait for the new website to be launched to see/learn whether there will be new armatars added to the current ones, a complete replacement of armatars will take place or there will be an option to upload a custom armatar, either by competition or through approval of AG themselves...

Petemix
Petemix
3 posts
Shepherd

CooL~!

zonic98
zonic98
547 posts
Nomad

I'd really like if pre-AG3 users got armatars that post-AG3 people couldn't...

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I'm pretty sure the "no custom armatars" in the title is null now. We've seen several admins with custom armatars.

tank7013
tank7013
9 posts
Peasant

So will we get to keep our Armatars through the switch? I'd rather not wait for seasonal Armatars to be unlocked again to get mine back.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

If you don't change it you'll keep it. The seasonal armatars only last for a limited amount of time in the control panel, once they're gone everyone with them will keep them until they change.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

I'm pretty sure the "no custom armatars" in the title is null now. We've seen several admins with custom armatars.

Except that only admins can access such armatars, so there is no guarantee that custom armatars will be allowed.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

True. Remember when Boppins changed his username? We thought that indicated that a username change feature was coming soon, but the stickied thread for that subject was locked and unstickied.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Patrick, I can say with a fair amount of certainty that Admins will have powers that a normal user will not. Custom Armatars are one of those gifts, though as you can plainly see - I'm a wonky spiderface.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Tease.

I like to think they are custom armatars or a part of a pack (thinking more custom because they weren't drawn just for AG), so many people have been requesting both for a long time.

Showing 241-255 of 261