Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Armatar Updates (no custom armatars)

Posted Jan 3, '12 at 2:02pm

Marius2323

Marius2323

196 posts

it takes along time to get the high ap armatars.

Yes, that's true. But before that your posting in the forum! ;)

Posted Jan 14, '12 at 4:35am

LucasDaLegend

LucasDaLegend

378 posts

There could be a competition every month in the Art forum at the bottom where you can create your own armatar. There would then be a winner and that particular armatar would be added into a seperate list called "Competition Winners" or something that says what they represent. Each month there would be a different theme about it e.g. Winter, Summer, Christmas, TV Programms and so on.

What do you think?

Posted Jan 14, '12 at 4:50am

Cenere

Cenere

12,941 posts

Knight

So, like what I am doing right now, but with assumed more popularity (and a blessing from the admins...)?

The seasonal armatars are a result of such a contest, we had those before, but after the admin in charge of it gave it up, there have been no such initiative from the other admins.
And it would have to be the admins. Such a job can't be put on the mods' shoulders unless they specifically want it.

Posted Jan 14, '12 at 5:23am

LucasDaLegend

LucasDaLegend

378 posts

So, like what I am doing right now, but with assumed more popularity (and a blessing from the admins...)?

Well, sort of. Basically what you are doing now but yes, perhaps more popularity because of the reward which i would like to be considered - Adding the armatar into the official list.

Such a job can't be put on the mods' shoulders unless they specifically want it.

That could be a problem... it could be hosted by a normal user and then occasionally checked by a moderator. I am not sure if that will work though.

The seasonal armatars are a result of such a contest, we had those before, but after the admin in charge of it gave it up, there have been no such initiative from the other admins.

Perhaps this could be considered after AGv3 is officially opened, when the admins have a little less work to be getting on with and could perhaps put a little extra community time into their work. That would be much appreciated.

Posted Jan 14, '12 at 5:48am

Cenere

Cenere

12,941 posts

Knight

That could be a problem... it could be hosted by a normal user and then occasionally checked by a moderator. I am not sure if that will work though.

It would doubtfully work with a regular user passing out judgement on what and what shouldn't be an armatar. One thing is the poetry contests, where there is a simple merit award per win, and there is always a new chance. It doesn't actually affect anything, besides someone getting 25 points more.
With armatars, if your armatar suggestion is not selected, obviously you are no good at art, the judge is biased, all that jazz.

And it doesn't stop this from being something a mod will have been forced into, if they are the one responsible for getting the armatars up and so on.
No, I really do believe that, should anything like this work out, you either have to have a mod that actually cares about this enough to volunteer, or an admin that can get the job done instantly.

Personally I still hope they go for the "If you have enough reputation and have been a member for long enough and you are generally awesome, we will let you upload [number] of armatars, which can be used either by you or the public". Though that again might mean more annoying work tasks for mods.

Posted Jan 14, '12 at 6:09am

inflict

inflict

384 posts

i think that would be good too. people who do enough good things on AG should be rewarded.
just a question. who makes the armatars at the moment?

Posted Jan 14, '12 at 6:15am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,884 posts

Knight

who makes the armatars at the moment?

The artist who made them left AG a long time ago.

Posted Jan 14, '12 at 6:25am

Cenere

Cenere

12,941 posts

Knight

Except the dinos. Zophia made those.
But otherwise, I think "who made the armatars" might be the best kept secret on AG.

Posted Jan 14, '12 at 11:35am

younieboy

younieboy

309 posts

@ cenere
who ever made it was very good in it
there are very beautiful armatars

Posted Jan 14, '12 at 3:51pm

Cenere

Cenere

12,941 posts

Knight

Well, technically we have three different official armatar artists. The one that made the ones like yours, which is most likely vector based, then the one that made the more sketchy mythology set, and then Zophia's dinos.
And then perhaps one of the staff members that made the shields when they decided poor mods and dedicated users should no longer be able to keep the armatar they knew and loved.

I do enjoy the first batch, it is very good, though some of the expressions and colours might not have been what I picked, had I been in that situation.
But well, there is a reason why I am trying to imitate the style when I do armatries.

Reply to Armatar Updates (no custom armatars)

You must be logged in to post a reply!