ForumsNews and FeedbackArmatar Updates (no custom armatars)

261 88647
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

This is another re-take on the Armatar discussion because we need to clarify a few points.

First, this topic is to discuss how the AG3 beta manages armatars.

Secondly, if you just want to ask for new armatars, discuss it with Dan.

Third, we are still discussing whether we want to allow custom armatars in the future, because of copyright and licensing issues that will come up from that, so that idea is ON HOLD.

If messages in here aren't about the interface we've built, how we could improve it, etc., then I'll probably trim the message.

Questions about how to unlock armatars, etc., are totally welcome and I'll provide answers as I have them. As of the time I write this, the understanding I have is that all AG2 armatars will be unlocked on AG3 by default, and we will unlock seasonal armatars through some process eventually.

We are also going to start asking game developers for one or more armatars related to their game, which users can select, but I don't think they'll be locked in any way. We've talked about unlocking special armatars based on achievements, but since achievements aren't finished yet, we can't go into much detail on that.

• 261 Replies
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Folks, for the last time, NO CUSTOM ARMATARS WILL BE ALLOWED ON AG3.

Future replies to this thread about custom armatars will be deleted regardless of any other content in the message, even if it's the most earth-shattering good idea ever heard.

Please, stop asking. We've read your feedback about it in the old thread, and we decided that it's going to be something we MAY include in the future, but it will be at least a year away.

rivercrab01
rivercrab01
1,242 posts
Nomad

I like the idea of acheivment armatars, and like you explained, there will be armatars tied to unlocking acheivments in game, but will there be acheivments outside of gaming? e.g. 100 game comments- armatar unlocked 5 games posted- armatar unlocked 5 merits awarded- armatar unlocked.... speaking of merits, will there be a upgraded merit system of some sort? If there's a thread on AG3 merits, please tell me.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

like you explained, there will be armatars tied to unlocking acheivments in game

No, there won't.

will there be acheivments outside of gaming?

No, and Achievement questions need to be asked in the appropriate thread.

will there be a upgraded merit system of some sort?

Off-topic question is off-topic. Post this in the Reputation thread.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Regarding the seasonal armatars, will the system be the same in the sense that if you have a seasonal armatar selected you retain it even after those armatars are no longer available? Or will the user be reset to the default armatar?

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Good question! We'll have a control to disable and delete armatars. If we just disable an armatar, it just won't become available for others to choose. However, if we fully *delete* an armatar, any user with that armatar will likely be reset to a default armatar and get a system message that the armatar was deleted and they'll get to choose a new one.

Koru7
Koru7
1,408 posts
Nomad

So if we you choose a seasonal armatar, it will be in your selection of armatars forever unless you fully delete it?

And will there be a better way of notification that there are seasonal armatars and competition armatars like they gave out in a forum competition?

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

No, if you choose a seasonal armatar, that will be your choice until you change it in the future. You only get one armatar at a time.

To my knowledge, we don't have any current plans to notify users when they're available, or to have contests, but this might change in the future.

TysonD
TysonD
35 posts
Farmer

Relating the armatars after their games would be a fantastic idea...A lot of work, but great idea

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

I have an idea for armatars, that being .gif armatars. Yes, there is a possibility of site lagg, whole new set of armatars to make, being harder to make and other stuff to worry about, but I would like for instance my armatar, the fox one, has a looping animation of wind blowing so his fur is moving correspondingly with the wind that is up, down. I think they would be more interesting to have than .jpg armatars we have now. This is just a suggestion (most likely to be rejected for obvious reasons) but if ever do taken seriously, I would really enjoy having .gif armatars, much more interesting to have. Also, they don't have to be all .gif, but some new armatars that are. Just a thought.

I think cormyn has already said no to animated armatars.
BananaChocolate
BananaChocolate
2 posts
Nomad

The armatar system you have now is alright and there's nothing wrong with it aside from that there's not much content for decisions

SirePwnsalot
SirePwnsalot
80 posts
Nomad

How about the ablity to get game icons as armatars?

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

How about the ablity to get game icons as armatars?

I think that idea is already implemented.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

aside from that there's not much content for decisions

Can you describe this a bit more? Not entirely sure what you mean here.

[quote]How about the ablity to get game icons as armatars?

I think that idea is already implemented.[/quote]
Yes, it is. We're requiring gamedevs to upload several images now when they submit a game. Eventually we'll have a way for them to send us several armatars specific to their game.

And before someone else asks the question again, no, we are not unlocking these game armatars based on Achievements.
kingofwar1234
kingofwar1234
605 posts
Peasant

ummm, is there gonna be more armatars added to the armatar section of the control panel? or is it the same as it is now....

anyway, i think that there should be armatars added to your armatar selection based on how many AP you earn or if there is a specific acheivement that you have made... so instead of having just a couple of armatars available and people having the same armatar, it is unique to that user

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

anyway, i think that there should be armatars added to your armatar selection based on how many AP you earn or if there is a specific acheivement that you have made... so instead of having just a couple of armatars available and people having the same armatar, it is unique to that user

You apparently ignored what cormyn said here:

And before someone else asks the question again, no, we are not unlocking these game armatars based on Achievements.
Showing 31-45 of 261