ForumsNews and FeedbackArmatar Updates (no custom armatars)

261 88628
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

This is another re-take on the Armatar discussion because we need to clarify a few points.

First, this topic is to discuss how the AG3 beta manages armatars.

Secondly, if you just want to ask for new armatars, discuss it with Dan.

Third, we are still discussing whether we want to allow custom armatars in the future, because of copyright and licensing issues that will come up from that, so that idea is ON HOLD.

If messages in here aren't about the interface we've built, how we could improve it, etc., then I'll probably trim the message.

Questions about how to unlock armatars, etc., are totally welcome and I'll provide answers as I have them. As of the time I write this, the understanding I have is that all AG2 armatars will be unlocked on AG3 by default, and we will unlock seasonal armatars through some process eventually.

We are also going to start asking game developers for one or more armatars related to their game, which users can select, but I don't think they'll be locked in any way. We've talked about unlocking special armatars based on achievements, but since achievements aren't finished yet, we can't go into much detail on that.

• 261 Replies
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

so if u post something, and it gets deleted, u lose the points for that post? is that right?

Yes, that is correct; though I don't know how that relates in any way to armatars.
benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

haha sorry, was just wanting to clear my confusion. i think it was because u could lose ur ap points and so mayb u couldnt access specific avatars

benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

With the whole custom armatar thing, if your worried about copyright issues, why not have it that there are several templates, and that you can have say a background, a middle and a front, but only from a selection of things, kind of like the armatar selection we have now?

This would mean that not as many people would have the same armatars, giving everyone an individual look, while still keeping within copyright infringements. Just a thought, though now I would really like the idea of that

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

That's similar to the armatar contests they had a while ago where people would draw armatars and an administrator would decide whether or not to add them to the site; that's how we got seasonal/holiday armatars.

I like the idea of it, but without a person like a moderator or administrator to manage it, I don't think it will work. If you just give users the ability to draw things and add them as a picture then it's likely a few people will ruin it for others by drawing obscene things and spreading them around the site.

spaaazz
spaaazz
1 posts
Peasant

custom armatures would be a really cool improvement. as said before though, hard to keep bad pictures off the site. i would guess that i just depends on how much of a workload the armor games team wants. you could go all out n make it so people can upload pictures or maybe just have a design page where people can draw their own. if the latter is chosen then it can go through a confirm sorta process where you submit and people approve. going even further, you could set up a collection of pre-approved designs made by the armor games staff or designers, and people could unlock new designs and add them to their armature. (kinda like on COD for the insignia thing). not sure if this was really relevant to the topic but just some ideas

benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

you could set up a collection of pre-approved designs made by the armor games staff or designers, and people could unlock new designs and add them to their armature. (kinda like on COD for the insignia thing)

That would be a great idea, and it's what I originally meant when I said for the custom avatar thing. It's funny because I was thinking of the COD insignia thing when I wrote it as well
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

That sounds like a neat idea, but it all depends if they have someone who wants to manage that sort of thing, like a moderator or administrator.

NinjaGeorge24
NinjaGeorge24
2 posts
Nomad

They Should Allow Custom Armortars. That is what i belive

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Depends what you mean by that. If you mean images taken from websites then they've already said no to that because of copyright laws and such. If you mean drawn armatars then that's taken into account, but they'll need someone to manage those, which means it won't be there at launch or anytime soon. Also says "no custom armatars" in the threads title, so...

benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

Maybe if there was several armatar drawing contests, and then any that the moderators thought were fine were put into armour games, and then have it so that you can edit them, not put anything inappropriate or against copyright, but just change them a little bit. Because then the armatars would be fine, since they had been seen by mods, and each persons would be a tiny bit different.

I got this idea from google plus, the edit section, where you can add paints, vampire fangs, fake beards, just stuff like that

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

They'd probably need to talk to the artists to get consent to edit/change the pictures, which will probably be a hassle.

benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

They'd probably need to talk to the artists to get consent to edit/change the pictures, which will probably be a hassle.

What if there was a competition for armatar drawing, with the prize being that persons armatar gets put into the site, but on the condition that people are allowed to edit it?
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Well, why edit them when you could submit your own drawings? Just seems better if you draw your own then being able to edit/change things in a picture to me, and it'd probably look better this way. And it says "no custom armatars" in the threads title, so that idea isn't going to happen for a long time.

Elekinetic
Elekinetic
3 posts
Nomad

the armatars are very hard to get and when i get enough points they doesn' t appears im NOT kidding

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

They won't be hard to get in AG3 since you can choose whichever one out of the current selection no matter how many points you have.

Showing 121-135 of 261