ForumsNews and FeedbackArmatar Updates (no custom armatars)

261 88669
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

This is another re-take on the Armatar discussion because we need to clarify a few points.

First, this topic is to discuss how the AG3 beta manages armatars.

Secondly, if you just want to ask for new armatars, discuss it with Dan.

Third, we are still discussing whether we want to allow custom armatars in the future, because of copyright and licensing issues that will come up from that, so that idea is ON HOLD.

If messages in here aren't about the interface we've built, how we could improve it, etc., then I'll probably trim the message.

Questions about how to unlock armatars, etc., are totally welcome and I'll provide answers as I have them. As of the time I write this, the understanding I have is that all AG2 armatars will be unlocked on AG3 by default, and we will unlock seasonal armatars through some process eventually.

We are also going to start asking game developers for one or more armatars related to their game, which users can select, but I don't think they'll be locked in any way. We've talked about unlocking special armatars based on achievements, but since achievements aren't finished yet, we can't go into much detail on that.

• 261 Replies
Marius2323
Marius2323
199 posts
Nomad

I think developers must custom there own logo.

DrBiscotti
DrBiscotti
3 posts
Nomad

Aramatars are nice and 'universal' because they show your rank.

ninjet99
ninjet99
54 posts
Shepherd

i agree armatars show how you think of yourself

epicfacedkid1
epicfacedkid1
4 posts
Nomad

When I get higher ranked I am finding a better armatar because my red shield one is geting old,XD

epicfacedkid1
epicfacedkid1
4 posts
Nomad

sorry for the typo its *getting*

AsianBrandon
AsianBrandon
29 posts
Nomad

it takes along time to get the high ap armatars.

Marius2323
Marius2323
199 posts
Nomad

it takes along time to get the high ap armatars.

Yes, that's true. But before that your posting in the forum!
LucasDaLegend
LucasDaLegend
1,066 posts
Nomad

There could be a competition every month in the Art forum at the bottom where you can create your own armatar. There would then be a winner and that particular armatar would be added into a seperate list called "Competition Winners" or something that says what they represent. Each month there would be a different theme about it e.g. Winter, Summer, Christmas, TV Programms and so on.

What do you think?

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

So, like what I am doing right now, but with assumed more popularity (and a blessing from the admins...)?

The seasonal armatars are a result of such a contest, we had those before, but after the admin in charge of it gave it up, there have been no such initiative from the other admins.
And it would have to be the admins. Such a job can't be put on the mods' shoulders unless they specifically want it.

LucasDaLegend
LucasDaLegend
1,066 posts
Nomad

So, like what I am doing right now, but with assumed more popularity (and a blessing from the admins...)?

Well, sort of. Basically what you are doing now but yes, perhaps more popularity because of the reward which i would like to be considered - Adding the armatar into the official list.

Such a job can't be put on the mods' shoulders unless they specifically want it.

That could be a problem... it could be hosted by a normal user and then occasionally checked by a moderator. I am not sure if that will work though.

The seasonal armatars are a result of such a contest, we had those before, but after the admin in charge of it gave it up, there have been no such initiative from the other admins.

Perhaps this could be considered after AGv3 is officially opened, when the admins have a little less work to be getting on with and could perhaps put a little extra community time into their work. That would be much appreciated.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

That could be a problem... it could be hosted by a normal user and then occasionally checked by a moderator. I am not sure if that will work though.

It would doubtfully work with a regular user passing out judgement on what and what shouldn't be an armatar. One thing is the poetry contests, where there is a simple merit award per win, and there is always a new chance. It doesn't actually affect anything, besides someone getting 25 points more.
With armatars, if your armatar suggestion is not selected, obviously you are no good at art, the judge is biased, all that jazz.

And it doesn't stop this from being something a mod will have been forced into, if they are the one responsible for getting the armatars up and so on.
No, I really do believe that, should anything like this work out, you either have to have a mod that actually cares about this enough to volunteer, or an admin that can get the job done instantly.

Personally I still hope they go for the "If you have enough reputation and have been a member for long enough and you are generally awesome, we will let you upload [number] of armatars, which can be used either by you or the public". Though that again might mean more annoying work tasks for mods.
inflict
inflict
382 posts
Shepherd

i think that would be good too. people who do enough good things on AG should be rewarded.
just a question. who makes the armatars at the moment?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

who makes the armatars at the moment?

The artist who made them left AG a long time ago.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Except the dinos. Zophia made those.
But otherwise, I think "who made the armatars" might be the best kept secret on AG.

younieboy
younieboy
297 posts
Blacksmith

@ cenere
who ever made it was very good in it
there are very beautiful armatars

Showing 181-195 of 261