ForumsNews and FeedbackArmatar Updates (no custom armatars)

261 88395
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

This is another re-take on the Armatar discussion because we need to clarify a few points.

First, this topic is to discuss how the AG3 beta manages armatars.

Secondly, if you just want to ask for new armatars, discuss it with Dan.

Third, we are still discussing whether we want to allow custom armatars in the future, because of copyright and licensing issues that will come up from that, so that idea is ON HOLD.

If messages in here aren't about the interface we've built, how we could improve it, etc., then I'll probably trim the message.

Questions about how to unlock armatars, etc., are totally welcome and I'll provide answers as I have them. As of the time I write this, the understanding I have is that all AG2 armatars will be unlocked on AG3 by default, and we will unlock seasonal armatars through some process eventually.

We are also going to start asking game developers for one or more armatars related to their game, which users can select, but I don't think they'll be locked in any way. We've talked about unlocking special armatars based on achievements, but since achievements aren't finished yet, we can't go into much detail on that.

• 261 Replies
acmed
acmed
3,518 posts
Nomad

[quote]cormyn is taking the seasonal armatar list back.

Good.

Actually, that is not proven, but I do like the idea.
[/quote]

Allow me to rephrase, he MIGHT bring back the seasonal armatar list. It's a rumor/consideration.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

I've heard on numerous occasions that cormyn is taking the seasonal armatar list back.

I have nothing to do with seasonal armatars. For a while it was under Carlie's control to turn them on/off. I think we were going to look for a way to automate it somewhat, like telling the site to look at the calendar for certain events like the dates of each solstice, 14 days before major holidays, that sort of thing.
daniel5533
daniel5533
160 posts
Nomad

you should make an search with only copy righted pictures on it
(only pictures dealing with medieval times)

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

We've already said that copywritten images will not be allowed. Therefore no search will be needed.

Pwnidge12
Pwnidge12
28 posts
Nomad

i'd like to see a knight fighting a dragon as an armartar becuse i think it relates to whole medievel theme

XaosXaos
XaosXaos
5 posts
Nomad

will the custom amatars be like creating your own character or still just basic photos?

shad0wZ
shad0wZ
3 posts
Nomad

how do you buy armatars with your armor points?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

will the custom amatars be like creating your own character or still just basic photos?

I think at first they will just release the seasonal/holiday armatars at specific times, then in some time after they figure it all out they might allow us to create our own and use them.
how do you buy armatars with your armor points?

You don't buy armatars. If you're asking how to change it, then click "control panel" > "armatars" > scroll down then press "update armatar".
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

I don't know if this has been said yet, too lazy to look, but I think allowing people to use the flash game icons on this site for their armatars would be a good idea. It'd add a lot of new armatars, they are already correctly sized and none would inappropriate.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

I don't know if this has been said yet, too lazy to look, but I think allowing people to use the flash game icons on this site for their armatars would be a good idea. It'd add a lot of new armatars, they are already correctly sized and none would inappropriate.

There will be game-based armatars on AG3.
Ghostofelements
Ghostofelements
99 posts
Nomad

Well, this is a very good idea.
I'd like the man of exit path.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

As for the game based armatars, will the cover of the game and certain pictures from in-game be up for use? The cover of the two Sonny games would make a good armatars:
http://armorgames.com/files/thumbnails/sonny-505.gif
http://armorgames.com/files/thumbnails/sonny-2-2900.jpg

IceClaw247
IceClaw247
843 posts
Jester

I agree with ghostofmatrix, some popular games from each category as armatars would look great.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Game developers will upload armatar images for us as part of the submission process.

Steam7369
Steam7369
12 posts
Jester

I've never cared about using a custom Armatar, I've always enjoyed the stock ones.

Showing 91-105 of 261