Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

No more Armor Points.

Posted Aug 8, '12 at 1:50pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,691 posts

Knight

Firetail asked if the AP we have now will transfer to AG3. Will that happen?

Your current AP will be reset because they are changing the armor points system.

Posted Aug 13, '12 at 9:55pm

motulal

motulal

1 post

- ideas about where you want us to show your AG Score (the total of your points)

I think there should be both a rank and a score, like for example, the picture of the king and 1000 written next to it.
Sorry if this idea has already been posted

Posted Aug 14, '12 at 10:30pm

BlueChel5

BlueChel5

20 posts

Keep everything the same and add something for getting a new rank. For instance, when you become a wood squire, you get a bonus or something. I don't know, but you should know what I am getting at.Please don't take off rating games to get points. Getting points is slow enough...

Posted Aug 15, '12 at 2:44am

Ernie15

Ernie15

12,548 posts

Knight

For instance, when you become a wood squire, you get a bonus or something.

As in, a point bonus? No, that would be fairly useless. The purpose of counting the points in the first place is to basically measure which parts of the site you spend the most time in. The badges are just there to make it more interesting; it isn't like you've really "achieved" anything by reaching gold king, it's just a measure of basic site involvement.

Adding random bonuses would just mess up the system. You're already awarded points for the most basic things already. Why would they ever award you points just for gaining points?

Please don't take off rating games to get points. Getting points is slow enough...

How about you ignore how many points you have for the moment and try to focus more on involving yourself in the community and finding ways to improve it? That's the greatest reward of all.

Posted Aug 17, '12 at 11:34pm

Knugent

Knugent

11 posts

I like the current rank system, it's original and....quirky...?
I think there should be some kind of rank progress bar on the profile pages, too.
Anyway, concerning the leaderboard system, I think there should be some kind of tab system on the "Communuty" page, i.e a tab for Forums, a tab for Leaderboards etc.

Posted Aug 18, '12 at 6:35am

neoking007

neoking007

31 posts

NOT LIKE AG V.3 :(

Posted Aug 19, '12 at 9:27pm

CommanderPaladin

CommanderPaladin

506 posts

^ I couldn't agree more. 
Why can't the AG overlords just leave well enough alone?  The current rank/point system works fine, and while some people might not care for it a lot of us actually like it the way it is.  They're not going to please everyone with any given system, but what they will do if they implement this new mess is make a lot more people than not upset.  Why ruin a good system in the name of "progress?"  That's progressing backwards, not forwards.

Posted Aug 19, '12 at 9:57pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,691 posts

Knight

The current system is flawed. It can be abused easily and doesn't involve gaming. ArmorGames is a flash gaming site first, and forums second. This is also a new site, so why not fix and update everything for the better. Yes, the better. They aren't going backwards with anything. Achievements in games for armor points and a reputation system for community involvement is improving it. Engaging both parts of the site and offering a challenge.

Actually look at the current system: Anyone can rate and comment on all the games and get around 11-12k armor points. You also have people who use the comments as a chat system and are iron and gold kings. That's against the rules, but it doesn't look like it's being enforced.
- Our user-to-user profile messenger is not a 'chat' system. Anything more than a few messages per day between two users could be considered spam, and deleted by moderators. If you want to have lengthy conversations with users, please use an instant message (IM) service.

They are making it overall better. The only people that are going to be upset are the ones that spend all their time trying to gain armor points or the ones who pride themselves on it. It's not important at all. It's just an insignificant number you accumulated by being active, nothing more.

As for the ranks, they're just adding more of them. More ranks in between and ahead of the current ones so you require more armor points to reach top rank. Top rank shouldn't be able to be achieved in a matter of a few months.

Posted Aug 19, '12 at 10:52pm

CommanderPaladin

CommanderPaladin

506 posts

Anyone can rate and comment on all the games and get around 11-12k armor points

You do realize that it would take an incredible amount of time to go through and rate EVERY game here, and therefore is somewhat unlikely?  I went through and rated all the games I had played here before making my account, which numerically is a drop in the bucket compared to the number of games present, and that took me a couple of weeks to complete.  Some people may indeed go and rate every game here, but I think that unless they're planning to literally camp in front of the computer non-stop for a month or more they'll either tire of it part-way through or else take so long that the points they get will be spread out enough to mix in with their points from other activities (like posting in the forums) and be more of a "legitimate" rank.

ArmorGames is a flash gaming site first, and forums second.

This may be how it was initially designed, but based on the level of activity in the forums and some comments read therein, it would seem that the forums have become the crown jewel of the site.

Achievements in games

I posted a comment in favor of this in the appropriate thread, but I'll rehash the main points (no pun intended) of it here:
Achievements in games would be a good thing, but they should be in addition to and not instead of the current system.  Adding them to the points display in the profiles in the same style as the Merits would be ideal.  And I would actually like to see some in-site achievements for games like Raze 1 and 2 and Strike Force Heroes.
(See?  We don't disagree about everything here.)

You also have people who use the comments as a chat system and are iron and gold kings. That's against the rules, but it doesn't look like it's being enforced.

P1: lolwut?!
P2: noway!
P1: yah, totally!

^ That's chatting.  That's against the rules.  That kind of behavior gets BanHAmmered in short order.  When that kind of behavior gets BanHammered, people lose the points they've gotten from it, or their account outright.  And when that happens, they don't become Iron or Gold Kings - they become anathema. 
What I see in the forums, and what I suspect is what you are referring to as chatting, is people carrying on conversations.  So long as they follow the rules, like "no flaming," "seven-word minimum," "no necros," et cetera, this is permissible behavior and in part the reason for the forum's existence.  And more often, what I see in the forums is people having debates and discussions, stacking Walls Of Text like it was some intellectual game of Tetris and more than earning the one point that they get for each post.  Your argument has some truth to it, but overall I think you're over-focusing on a small and oft-times quickly resolved problem. 

The only people that are going to be upset are the ones that spend all their time trying to gain armor points or the ones who pride themselves on it.* It's not important at all. It's just an insignificant number you accumulated by being active, nothing more.

*And the ones who look at AG APs as a sort of barometer for how well others and themselves are doing on the site. 
Take Ernie15 for instance.  (And yes, I know he dislikes APs, but he's a good example.)  A person can look at his AP level and say, "Wow, this guy's been here forever and a week.  Since he's lasted that long as a respected member of the community, he might be worth paying more attention to and subsequently learning from that that guy over there who joined last week." 
Additionally, and this is my personal opinion, having the APs is just nice.  Sure, in the whole big picture of the world it may be an insignificant number accumulated by being active, but here it's a decent indicator of how far you've made it. 

And another thing - APs can be regulated after a fashion.  To borrow from your example above, someone can go around posting random chatty carp all over the place, but once all those spammish posts get deleted they lose the APs they got from it.  Therefore, it's reasonable to assume that people who have APs still have them because of the quality of their interactions in the site.  However, with an "Activity Bar," that same carp thrower will be listed as being quite active, but there's no quality or usefulness to his activity - it's all trash.  But you won't be able to know that until it's too late. 

_____
No system is perfect.  That's a given.  But in my opinion, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, what we have now is better than what's about to be ruthlessly foisted upon us.

Posted Aug 19, '12 at 11:16pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,691 posts

Knight

You do realize that it would take an incredible amount of time to go through and rate EVERY game here, and therefore is somewhat unlikely?

Look at the top 100 and the monthly leaderboard. You have plenty of people who have rated all the games in a week or month. It's very likely. I'm sure you could rate all the games in a week by devoting an hour of two of your time. It's a tedious activity, but it's likely to happen, as seen by their join dates and how many games they have rated.

This may be how it was initially designed, but based on the level of activity in the forums and some comments read therein, it would seem that the forums have become the crown jewel of the site.

There are less than thirty forumers, and only a fraction of that actively post. The site wouldn't be here if it relied on those people. Their number one source of income are games and the people that play them. The forums aren't anything near a crown jewel, more like an alley dumpster. They are extremely outdated and receive little attention. ArmorGames wouldn't lose a significant amount of money if they decided to delete the forums.

P1: lolwut?!
P2: noway!
P1: yah, totally!

^ That's chatting.

A form. Another is the pointless "how are you" "what's up" etc. conversations. I've read a lot of conversations on this site. Most of the comments in a conversation like that are only a few words long. Go through the top 100, look at the people who have tons of comments, then look at their conversations. That's the chatting I'm talking about. The people that usually make fifty comments a day asking generic questions. That's the kind of chatting that the rule is talking about. It even says more than a few messages between users a day can be considered spam. It says if you want to carry long conversations use a chat service.

My point about this is that points can be abused through chat-spam and nobody cares about that, even though it's stated in the rules. Changing from this very flawed system will be better. The only way achievements will be abused is if people hack, and that is unlikely. A lot of people here don't possess the knowledge for that and I'm sure they'll have security.

Since he's lasted that long as a respected member of the community, he might be worth paying more attention to and subsequently learning from that that guy over there who joined last week.

Respect isn't earned from the amount of AP you have.

but here it's a decent indicator of how far you've made it.

It's an indicator of how active you've been. Nothing more. There are users with 4k AP that have been here for four years, there are users with 15k+ AP that have been here for a few months, etc.

what we have now is better

How?

Reply to No more Armor Points.

You must be logged in to post a reply!