ForumsNews and FeedbackNo more Armor Points.

229 69386
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Hi everyone, I have more news to share about points and ranking on AG3, and wanted to lump in ranking and leaderboard discussions here as well.

The previous topic was here:
http://armorgames.com/community/thread/6441505/ideas-and-discussions-about-migrating-armor-points-to-agv3

---

I hope you're sitting down ...

---

For the "TL;DR" people among you: everyone will essentially have their Armor Points reset to zero. AG3 will likely not migrate any points from AG2 with our current setup and direction.

Unless something drastic happens, or there's enough people who vocalize their unhappiness about this to Dan, this is how AG3 will start out.

After our meeting about Achievements yesterday, I was brought in the loop on how &quotoints" will work on AG3.

In a nutshell...

AG3 "Armor Points" as a sum total will calculate your "AG Score". We will still refer to them as &quotoints", but the site will show them as your "score".

AG3 points will be awarded primarily through the winning of game-related Achievements, and each achievement will have different amounts of points attached (easier achievements will give fewer points, for example).

The achievements we award for AG2 legacy features (previous rank, forum post count, etc) will not award AG3 points.

I do NOT believe we will award points for rating games, or if we do, it will be a minimal amount like the 2 points we give you now. If this is the case, we WILL migrate some points.

The examples Larry gave yesterday about Achievements showed some being worth as many as 15 or 30 points EACH.

---

I will re-open this topic when I have more information to answer questions.

• 229 Replies
benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

Armor points will be earned through getting achievements and possibly rating games. Reputation points which is different than armor points will most likely be earned through people voting up your posts and comments.

I assume both scores or amounts of points will be shown on your profile, like they are now?
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

I assume both scores or amounts of points will be shown on your profile, like they are now?

It'd make sense to do that, but in a smaller area. From seeing how the profiles were set up in closed beta and if they don't change those a lot then it'd have to be small.
benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

Would there be an overall score? say some sort of reputation score and points from achievements combined, to give you a ranking in the site?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Probably. Or having two separate leaderboards for people with most armor points and most reputation points.

jinthezone
jinthezone
7 posts
Nomad

AG should keep the medieval ranks
and if it changes AG would also need
to change the logo.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

They might, check the post I made on the second page. I think they should add more medieval ranks so it's more difficult to get to the highest rank.

benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

check the post I made on the second page.

Wouldn't that be too long a list? There's so many there, that people would take for ever just to get past the first stage.

However, if it was made easier to rank up, with lots of ranks, and perhaps harder as it goes along, that would make it very easy to get past the first few ranks, but would mean only the real dedicated people would get to the very high ones.

Also, if we could see how many armour points or reputation points you need to get to the next rank, because at the moment I don't really know when the next rank is, so I'm taking stabs in the dark about the score level.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

There's so many there, that people would take for ever just to get past the first stage.

More ranks makes it more fun. The people who devote all their time to reaching the highest rank will be dedicated users for a longer time, and it means it will be more time before the top 100 is filled with people of the highest rank.

However, if it was made easier to rank up, with lots of ranks, and perhaps harder as it goes along, that would make it very easy to get past the first few ranks, but would mean only the real dedicated people would get to the very high ones.

So, in other words, exactly the way it is now, but with more ranks?
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Wouldn't that be too long a list? There's so many there, that people would take for ever just to get past the first stage.

A challenge is good and it would distinguish people.
Also, if we could see how many armour points or reputation points you need to get to the next rank, because at the moment I don't really know when the next rank is, so I'm taking stabs in the dark about the score level.

Ranks. I'd like it to have more ranks and increase the amount of points you require for the top rank. Say if they add all those medieval ranks from the page linked to on the second page then you'll need 35-40k armor points for the highest rank. Something like that.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I'd like it to have more ranks and increase the amount of points you require for the top rank.

Indeed, ranks separated like these will make the challenge of ranking up last much longer than it did here on AG2; it was only about 6 months or so before someone reached Gold King, but it took nearly a year and a half for someone just to reach the 22nd of the ranks on the page I linked to (the site that used those ranks, Myninjakiwi, no longer exists).
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Would probably keep more people around, too. I've noticed most people who have reached gold king go inactive since they don't have anything else to do on the site.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Would probably keep more people around, too. I've noticed most people who have reached gold king go inactive since they don't have anything else to do on the site.

I think it has more to do with ''My-friends-are-all-gone'' Syndrome. You, Ernie and Knight are still around.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

That's what happens when people give up, complain, and hope for a better community instead of trying to change it for better themselves. Unfortunately things don't magically change for better, so hoping for something better isn't going to help at all.

Yeah, higher ranks are nice, especially with achievements giving armor points. It'll be a better challenge to get a higher rank.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

The only problem is that with achievements instead of community participation, there will actually be a limited amount of AP you can get. I don't know if that will make it any harder or easier.

I'd say harder because not many people would probably get a lot of the achievements, so it would distinguish people who do play games often and will show that they go for achievements.

But yeah, it'll be a limited amount of AP you can get, so they should add challenges that will reward you with medals and bonus points for completing them. Ernie and I talked about it within this thread.
I kind of wish that we were more involved in the community, like if we had some competition of sorts. I probably wouldn't be of any help at all, though, nobody likes my ideas or helps out in that case. And don't blame me for being lazy; I've tried in the past

Would definitely be nice, but we'd need to be able to talk to the mods somewhere like a chat room so we could organize it with them.
invalid777
invalid777
2,074 posts
Nomad

But yeah, it'll be a limited amount of AP you can get, so they should add challenges that will reward you with medals and bonus points for completing them. Ernie and I talked about it within this thread.

Yeah I don't get why comments are 2 AP while forum posts are only 1. I think we should get more AP when we post in the 'Game Walkthroughs' or the 'Flash Games' section considering that we have to play the game before posting in there.
Showing 106-120 of 229