ForumsSupport ForumDeveloper Profiles and Spam

27 4186
ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

I just had a great way to reduce spam on the site! Since there are a ton of users spamming on the developer profiles (ArmorGames, CrazyMonkey, etc etc), which are on the website for the sole purpose of submitting games, spam could be reduced greatly if developers had "locked" profiles which could not be commented on. This would prevent hundreds of spam posts from being made on the developer's profiles.

• 27 Replies
Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

Yeah, they can look, but not touch. If you add someone as a friend, then they can post comments on there. But other people wouldn't be able to.

crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,612 posts
Jester

Oh well then that's a good idea.Yea I really like that idea.

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

Another good feature would be chatroom invites, so that conversations can take place there instead of on users' walls. I also proposed a while ago that reducing the number of AP given for making comments would also decrease spam, but let's not stray too far off topic

Calm
Calm
909 posts
Herald

It sure is a good idea. We mods don't often check users profiles for spam, since we consider they are responsible and know what to delete and what to keep. usually, users with more than 5 pages of comments don't grasp the concept of the bin
It's true that the developers get a lot of messages and most of them are spam. In fact I think this feature should be implemented to all users, with an on/off switch, so you can lock your pofile for a period of time if you want no further posts. I would use it when I go on holidays for an instance, because it would avoid me from cleaning 5 pages of comments when I come back...

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

And if the matter is urgent people can always use email. You know, I'd really appreciate it if this could be implemented soon. It irks me that there are hundreds of spam posts being made on the dev profiles and everybody is allowed to get away with it :/ Meh.

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,060 posts
Blacksmith

I'm not a fan of the idea that only your friends can post comments. If you do not like the comment, delete it. Most of the friends I have made here have been people who posted on my page, saying that theyve seen me around and would like to talk to me, or vice versa. If I get a comment I don't like or is superfluous, I delete it. Not a big deal. I also occasionally will post on users sites telling them what they are doing is considered spam, or whatever, and I would like to still be able to do that )

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

I don't know about this... because a lot of users tend to post on developers profiles to say that they liked the game. Personally, if I really like a game, I go to the developers profile and tell them that I especially liked it and why. If their profiles were locked, users would not be able to talk to developers about such things. Besides, it gives a good opportunity for users to ask developers questions about games, and how to make them.

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

But that isn't where the problem is. The problem lies with the big developers that have profiles for the sole purpose of submitting games, such as the AG and CrazyMonkey profiles. People post hundreds of comments saying "i like ur games," and I always see a bunch on the AG profile asking "did u make the site?" There isn't a problem with giving advice/praise to people that have submitted games but are also reasonably active on the site, case in point Victrixs.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Ahhh I see what you mean... Yea, some profiles do not really have users behind them that actively respond. Perhaps us Mods will just have to watch those more closely and take care of the SPAM ourselves.

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

Do you guys have a way to delete all comments on a profile? Moderating those profiles might be a pain without something like that :/

Ichibon
Ichibon
136 posts
Peasant

Maybe a help would be to have more Mods on the site to help with the spamming.

turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

yeah cause some people spam on accident and cant erase it so you would block it for nothing

Showing 16-27 of 27