ForumsArt, Music, and WritingDoes a Tablet make drawing in computer programs or using Computer/Internet easier?

5 3703
KawaiiRion
KawaiiRion
202 posts
Nomad

I didn't see any subjects about the Tablets right now, so I decided to ask this:

Does using a tablet make drawing in ex. GIMP or Photoshop easier? Or when using Internet?

I want to hear some opinions.

I myself just got one, and used it a bit, but since it's not appearantly going to be stuck in my computer, I'm not going to get a big chance to use it.
It seemed like a nice tool for drawing stuff, I need to learn to handle the &quoten" a little more better/nicelier, though.

Using Internet with it might be a little harder, or more than just harder, but maybe when you get used to it it might be handy. Using the Google Maps or such with it might be fun.

And with a tablet, I meant those quite small, flat ones, which are meant for drawing, actually.
They don't need to be small or flat, but just saying, that I wasn't talking about those... Other kind of tablets, if they even are different kind of.

The pressure thing in it might be a little hard peace, too, to say, but not that much after using it a lot, I suppose.

http://www.ergonomicssimplified.com/tips/graphics-tablet-1.jpg

Something like this, I suppose. I'm very sorry if the link fails.

• 5 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

I like mine, it makes working with lineart and shading a lot easier than working with a mouse, though, past pressure sensitivity, the result is pretty much the same. It's just faster and easier.

As for the internet, no, it does nothing a mouse wouldn't be able to handle fine on its own, or a touchpad for that matter. They are, after all, made for handling art.

And from my lacking experience, they are no good for first person shooter games.

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

They are really only good for drawing aspect, and that is only if you are good at drawing in real life. As for the coloring aspect, it depends. If you are trying to make it similar to a hand drawn photo, then it's fine, but if you are trying to make a picture that looks like it was drawn in photoshop then it is less useful. In my experience, I did fine without a tablet for drawing and coloring. When I tried out a tablet, I didn't like it very much, but I am pretty terrible at drawing in real life. My work.

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

I bought a tablet last year, and much to my disgust it didn't immediately improve my art skills. But otherwise, it does make drawing on computers a lot easier, because a mouse can be somewhat touch and go (unless you are good at coordinating your wrist).

With a tablet you have more control than with a mouse.

Pressure sensitivity is nice, especially if you do a lot of sketches.

And from my lacking experience, they are no good for first person shooter games.

Playing Halo is kinda fun with it :P
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Playing Halo is kinda fun with it :P

Tried Portal, it didn't work out past giving me motion sickness.
vampyriccadence
vampyriccadence
85 posts
Nomad

I only use the tablet for my Photoshop work. I attempted to use it for basic navigation and failed terribly, I don't think I'm ready for that kind of control.

In Photoshop, I also still use the mouse for almost everything. I just love the pressure sensitivity and how smooth I can paint with the tablet.

Showing 1-5 of 5