ForumsNews and FeedbackSpam Reducer?

6 2573
jacksonghuntington
jacksonghuntington
347 posts
Nomad

Had a good idea, what if we made it so we COULDN'T post a comment or review if it were under 7-10 words? that would remove comments like "sup?" or "good game". Just an idea, thanks.

• 6 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

There are things in the forums that requires small responses. Example: "Can moderators ban people" "Yes" There's not much else you can add to it besides that.

So I don't think there should be word limit. And besides, people could simply put in a few words to get passed that filter. Example: Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

I believe Cormyn said something along the lines of:

'Currently, most spam is a short few words. So its easier to see among other comments because its only a few words, while acceptable post are longer.'

So its easier for the Moderators and Administrators to notice 'lol nice game' among other comments like 'I really enjoyed this game. It had good music and graphics' because its much shorter.

And as GhostOfMatrix said, someone could just spam seven words to beat the filter.

chitown
chitown
1,615 posts
Farmer

That is a good idea but people would add extra random words to get past that.
A bigger active moderator team could also reduce spam since there would be more people to delete it.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Well, speaking to the OP's idea, requiring a minimum number of letters (and unique words maybe) should be a good start.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

That's what I also said

I believe that spam would be less noticeable if we were required to post a minimum, unless you find comments that duplicate words X amount of times to fill in, in which case spam would be MUCH more noticeable. Constructive comments are nice, but that's the beauty of short, spammy, and effortless comments--they are deliberate.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Constructive comments are nice, but that's the beauty of short, spammy, and effortless comments--they are deliberate.

Constructive comments are better, but at least spam can be deleted. Also, I think the spam-bot just made a big sweep because some users just lost a lot of AP.
Showing 1-6 of 6