ForumsThe TavernBad Weather

86 12053
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

Not to be confused with the general 'weather' thread, this one is about BAD weather. What bad weather is your area known for? How often does it happen? The reason I made this thread is because right now I'm stuck in my basement with a tornado warning :P

• 86 Replies
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

@GentlemanClam

Yeah, those flood waters can really catch you off guard. What the NWS always say is "Turn around, don't drown." You never really can judge how deep water is, so it's best to be careful!

@bravehawk204

A few years ago, a couple of gustnadoes (weak tornadoes that form differently than regular tornadoes) came through my town, and caused some minor damage like what you described (well, maybe a bit worse; the next entire day was spent picking up branches). Also, the local Casey's lost part of its roof and marks were left on the top of the Fire Station from the gustnadoes swirling the rocks there. It was a crazy few days!

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

Ugh. It's 97 here with a heat index of 110. That's pretty bad. D:

Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

That stinks. It was supposed to get up to about 100 where I live, but it didn't. Thank goodness, It would have been unbearable if it did.

SwordAndShield
SwordAndShield
567 posts
Nomad

Well, Chicago is windy.

That is about it. Never heard of anything different.

Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

Near my house, there were some trees falling. June was very stormy for some reason.

Even now, there is a thunderstorm with hail the size of grapefruits.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

@Joe96

Oof. Yeah, 100 would have been nasty. D:

@SwordAndShield

I wonder why they call it the "windy city." :P

@Ghgt99

Grapefruit sized hail?!?! Jeez, that's going to kill someone! D:

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Louisiana. Hurricanes. Katrina and Rita.
A tornado will deal massive damage to a small area for a few minutes.
A hurricane will do massive damage to a massive area for days. Katrina stretched from Florida to Mexico and it took it three days to pass over me...
http://courseweb.glendale.edu/ppal/katrina-satellite.gif

Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

In the past February there was over 20 inches of snow in one day. School was canceled for 2 days.

That is nothing compared to where I live. We had 49 inches of snow! In one week!
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

@Dragonblaze052

Wow. Those images are incredible. You got very lucky when Katrina weakened right before she hit you. Otherwise, I don't want to think about what would have happened. *shudders, not sarcastically at all*

^No seriously, that wasn't sarcasm. It would have been scary had Katrina been stronger. D:

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

You got very lucky when Katrina weakened right before she hit you.

Actually, she jumped from a 3 to a 5 a day or two before she hit. She got all the way up to Tennessee, I do believe. She was full strength when her eye made landfall.
CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
891 posts
Nomad

Ugh. It's 97 here with a heat index of 110. That's pretty bad. D:

You think thats bad???
It's 110 here but feels like 115 because it is so dry and we have a warm breeze blowing around and it increases our temp.
Also it is still 100 at 10:00 pm!
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

It's 110 here but feels like 115 because it is so dry and we have a warm breeze blowing around and it increases our temp

I live in Louisiana. Our 90* is worse than the dry West's 112*. Trust me.
ShopwornSoul
ShopwornSoul
102 posts
Nomad

The "bad" weather we're having in central Texas isn't so much weather as a lack thereof. No fun for the 4th this year, the whole state is a tinderbox.

On an unrelated note I'm worried about Monday - my neighbors get crazy with fireworks at nearly every possible opportunity and I could totally see them ignoring the burn ban to fire some off. I'd sort of rather they didn't, this year..

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

@CalvinKidd137

Yeah, I agree with Dragonblaze052. I know it's hot there, but you have no idea what hot and HUMID is like. You said 110 with a heat index of 115. If it was 110 here, the heat index would be about 125 just because of humidity. And actually being outside? Forget it! I think I could do a dry heat. But humid heat? Ugh, it's awful! It's like someone's taking an invisible blanket and smothering you. It's harder to breath, and you can't cool yourself off because of all the water in the air. It's no fun at all.

Check out this chart to see what it feels like with different temps and humidities.
http://www.weather.gov/om/heat/images/CHART05.JPG
Jeez, I was wrong! 110 and humid would be over 140 feels like temp! D:

But not to rain on your parade or anything. :P I'm sure dry heat has its own set of severes and extremes, such as wildfires, etc.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

My areas weather is known for being bipolar. The weather changes often. One day it's hot, next day it's cold, day after that it's snowing, and after that it'll be hot again. What I consider bad weather for my area is the hot days in the summer. It gets up to 110 degrees in the summer over here, it prevents me from going outside due to how hot it is.

Showing 31-45 of 86