ForumsNews and FeedbackBan non-users

9 3560
supermape123
supermape123
431 posts
Nomad

Cant we ban some users that don't even use their account.I thought of some really cool nicknames and they were already taken.Then I went to their profile and half of them didn't even have any points and they had been there for 2 or 3 years.I realize its first come first serve,but cant you ban members like that that are just taking up all the good usernames.

• 9 Replies
indie55
indie55
610 posts
Nomad

First off no one knows if they will come back.
Second that's a lot of work for admins.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Armor points =/= Activity Just because they don't get involved in the community - rating games, commenting, and posting doesn't mean that they are inactive.

You never know if they visit their account or not to play the games. Also, you never know when the user will come back to the site.

I even think that cormyn mentioned in a thread similar to this in the tavern that they will never delete account with zero AP, or something like that.

valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

Good post, GoM. Maybe the user with O AP aren't interested by chating or rating games. Some just want to play and submit their record on games. No more.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Good post, GoM. Maybe the user with O AP aren't interested by chating or rating games. Some just want to play and submit their record on games. No more.

In AG3, points (not Reputation) will be based on game-related stuff, meaning the people that made accounts just for the games will gain points. This will also make activity more visible since both game and forum activity can be seen.
supermape123
supermape123
431 posts
Nomad

Couldn't they just make a new account.I didn't really mean ban them but just let the administrators close down their account.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Closing down the account is banning them. And anyway, I'm sure they wouldn't want their account deactivated due to them not being on the site. I would be rather angry if my account was suddenly shut down, and the username that I had was the one I like.. so it isn't a good idea.

Also, if you are suggesting this solely for the username. Then it doesn't work that way. If an account is banned/shut down/deactivated, then the username cannot be chosen.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

I didn't really mean ban them but just let the administrators close down their account.

'closing down their account' is the same as 'banning'.

You can't just ban people because they have zero AP. Many users only play the games, and there is currently no way in AG2 to recieve AP for just playing games. Now that Games, such as Colony and Exitpath, are including online game play, having an Account is important to both play and store your scores. So many users don't even care about AP; they just want to play a game.

In AG3, just playing games will earn you achievements, and users can earn points for playing games while having minimal contact with the rest of the Community/Forums.

As GhostOfMatrix said, Activity =/= Armor Points.

As for your issue with usernames, thats just tough luck. AG3 will have the option to change it. While you can't take someone elses thats already in use, you can change it if you don't like it.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Banning IS closing down the account. They don't just make it disappear with magic.

1) Those accounts could be used for playing games.
2) Could be used for keeping track of highscores.
3) You get exclusive content on some games with accounts.
4) Armor Games ISN'T going to delete those accounts.
5) If you agree with him, then address my posts and Maverick's. Well, considering that they WON'T delete the accounts, that would be pretty useless to do.

There's no discussion necessary, accounts won't be deleted.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Second that's a lot of work for admins.

Not really, we could just set up a scheduled task that shuts off accounts if they haven't logged in within __ months, but there's no point to that. We never fully "delete" user profiles anyway, so their username would be reserved, all that sort of stuff.

This will also make activity more visible since both game and forum activity can be seen.

We haven't said anything yet about showing forum posts in the Activity Stream, but we certainly do let you see which games are being played right now.

There's no discussion necessary, accounts won't be deleted.

Yup, correct.
Showing 1-9 of 9