ForumsPopular MediaTop 20 Greatest Punk Rock Songs of All Time

10 5018
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

PLEASE READ THE WHOLE OP

i have compiled a list of the 20 greatest punk rock songs of all time. below is the criteria that i based the list on, and the actual list.

criteria: Initial and lasting popularity, and influence and impact on the evolution of punk rock.

1.Complete Control-The Clash
2.Anarchy in the UK-The Sex Pistols
3.Blitzkrieg Bop-The Ramones
4.Holiday in Cambodia-The Dead Kennedys
5.Kick out the Jams-MC5
6.London Calling-The Clash
7.Waiting Room-Fugazi
8.Search and Destroy-The Stooges
9.In the City-The Jam
10.I Wanna be Sedated-The Ramones
11.Where Eagles Dare-The Misfits
12.Straight Edge-Minor Threat
13.(White Man) in Hammersmith Palais-The Clash
14.California Uber Alles-The Dead Kennedys
15.Pay to *um-Bad Brains
16.Vietnam-Minutemen
17.Celebrated Summer-Husker Du
18.Johnny Hit and Run Pauline-X
19.Rise Above-Black Flag
20.Radio Radio-Elvis Costello

Honorable mentions: I against I, American Jesus, Ever Fallen in Love, God Save the Queen, *******s of Young, Gloria, Psycho Killer

*nothing is official about this list. this list is just something me and a bunch of my fellow punk rock friends came up with based on the following criteria.

• 10 Replies
deth4
deth4
764 posts
Nomad

inb4 "idk any of those bands"

sounds like a nice list, i dont like the ramones being #3 and the Clash as 1 though

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

The Clash LITERALLY were the only band that mattered though

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,366 posts
Nomad

I have to say delossantosj, we might just have found a little more common ground. I don't really know a lot about punk rock, but you do have some very good songs up there, especially with The Ramones (My personal favorite). My only complaint would be that you have "Pay To ***" instead of "Re-Ignition."

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

My only complaint would be that you have "Pay To ***" instead of "Re-Ignition."

pay to *** was a bit more... how shall i say.... ground breaking. that whole album really kicked *** though
deth4
deth4
764 posts
Nomad

Needs moar fugazi
i had an opportunity to see them a few years back

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

believe me i LOVE fugazi. if it was a top 10 punk artists, they would be their in a second. but this is just the top 20 SONGS

Sparkytrick1
Sparkytrick1
100 posts
Nomad

If you consider the White Stripes punk, then they should be on this list. If not, then whatever.

pablo4270
pablo4270
1,931 posts
Peasant

White Stripes punk

really... not even close White Stripes are more alternative and not really in the same time period.

And Deloss, I never really thought of Elvis Costello as punk, he is considered punk but more new wave. same with one of your hon mentions, Psycho killer, they are more new wave, my mom always refereed to Costello as a Middle Aged Angry Man and that that is his genre.
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

And Deloss, I never really thought of Elvis Costello as punk, he is considered punk but more new wave. same with one of your hon mentions, Psycho killer, they are more new wave, my mom always refereed to Costello as a Middle Aged Angry Man and that that is his genre.

its not as much elvis costello being &quotunk" its more the song. the song is a punk rock song. both are deffinatly new wave but they sort of started the new wave with a sort of new bread of punk, which is were bands like janes addiction and the sort came from
pablo4270
pablo4270
1,931 posts
Peasant

its not as much elvis costello being &quotunk" its more the song. the song is a punk rock song. both are deffinatly new wave but they sort of started the new wave with a sort of new bread of punk, which is were bands like janes addiction and the sort came from

k, that makes sense.
Showing 1-10 of 10