ForumsNews and FeedbackFriends/Followers Question

3 2130
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

I have several questions involving the Friends/Followers interface in AG3.

My first question is about the friends part. I understand that to be a 'friend' both users must accept each other's friend request. I'm friends with several users who are no longer active. I've checked this, and both of us have the other added as a friend. Would I have to send them a friend request and hope they get back on AG one day? Or will the AG3 system recoqnize that we're both friends, and then add that accordingly?

My second question involves Followers. Right now, the Followers show (besides my current friends, with one exception), several users whom I know to be banned. The Nnine series of troll, whom I know to be banned as I get a 404 page when I search him, is listed as being one of my followers. As he is banned, would he not show up as a follower in the final version? And several users also show up as followers, but when I move my mouse over them, a blank black box shows up. I've tried several times to see if a username ever pops up, but I always get a black box.

I hope this isn't a duplicate thread; none of the stickies involve the Friend system, and they're no recent threads that answer my question.

Thanks.

• 3 Replies
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Would I have to send them a friend request and hope they get back on AG one day? Or will the AG3 system recoqnize that we're both friends, and then add that accordingly?

Your friends on AG2 (this version of the web site) will become people that you "Follow" on AG3.

We had discussed several times about "if User A is friends with User B and user B is *also* friends with User A, should we automatically set up a 'Friend' relationship?" and we concluded that we didn't want to automatically assume that.

So what will happen instead is that User A will become a follower of User B and vice versa, and either one of them can then initiate a Friend request from the other person's profile.

Right now, the Followers show several users whom I know to be banned

Write up a note at GetSatisfaction for us, and we'll make sure to update the database query that fetches those friendships. Right now, we just migrate your new friends without checking if either user is banned or not.

As he is banned, would he not show up as a follower in the final version?

Ideally, perma-banned users wouldn't show up anywhere on AG3. We'll be discussing an idea soon about leaving their profile available with a message saying "This user is no longer a member of Armor Games" instead of a 404 error, because sometimes a 404 makes you think that maybe you just typed their name incorrectly.
bramiboy
bramiboy
122 posts
Nomad

So what will happen instead is that User A will become a follower of User B and vice versa, and either one of them can then initiate a Friend request from the other person's profile.

Could it be possible that you than both get automatically a mail or something with:' You follow user A and user A follows you, would you be friends with him/her?'
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

No, like I said, we don't want to automate that stuff. Users can go through those settings once they're in AG3 (or the beta), and do that stuff themselves. With so many users, it would flood every user's Inbox with those messages...

Showing 1-3 of 3