Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

What it Takes to Become a Moderator (page 1):

Posted Oct 4, '11 at 5:32pm

IceClaw247

IceClaw247

673 posts

Is the minimum age limit susceptible to change?

Posted Oct 4, '11 at 5:46pm

Cenere

Cenere

12,941 posts

Knight

Probably not.
But if someone is being the perfect candidate, they might be considered if the rest of the team agrees, and they seem suitable and well behaved.

Posted Oct 4, '11 at 6:31pm

manarion

manarion

54 posts

how do admins know if the mod is actually valid, like how are they supposed to know if the mods are not lying about there age?

Posted Oct 4, '11 at 6:48pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

3,707 posts

how are they supposed to know if the mods are not lying about there age?

For starters, administrators can see the age you registered as, regardless if you've changed it or not. So I can't suddenly go fix my age so I'm now 25, and try and meet that requirement. The administrators would still see that I joined at age 14, and so I'd only be 16 now.

And if someone list them selves as 25, then they should have the maturity of a 25 year old.  The sheer difference between a 13 year old and a 25 year old should show rather quickly if they were honest about their age. And if the person is actually 25, and still acts like a 13 year old, then they probably won't be made a moderator anytime soon.

On a side note, I have my own question: A while back, I asked Cormyn to pull my name out of the magical hat that its pulled from. He said that, being 15 (at the time; I'm 16 now), I wound't even be pulled by the magical monkey that does that. So when the time comes, do I need to request again that I'm removed from the system? Or am I good? Or do I go on a sudden flaming spree to ensure that I'm never considered for the job?

Posted Oct 4, '11 at 9:37pm

Linktopast30

Linktopast30

106 posts

@Maverick4, well, I would certainly recommend against the flaming spree :P. I don't think the position of Moderator is mandatory, and you are probably given the choice to accept or reject moderatorship (I assume).

Also, just in general, I'd like to add my own input about becoming a moderator, based on personal experience elsewhere.

First and foremost, NEVER just plain ask to be a Moderator. Especially if you're a new user or one who isn't very active. Not only does asking get on the nerves of the current Moderators/Admins, it also gets on the nerves of other normal users, and is just plain spamming. Nobody really wants to see your page-long essay about why you should be considered to be a moderator, let alone one line. I've been a mod/admin elsewhere, including on IRC channels, and this is what got on my nerves the most. Also on that note, this is a [unspoken] rule in pretty much every online community.

This isn't to say that asking about specifics of becoming a moderator is wrong. Just make sure you've read this thread first, then ask your question if it is still unanswered.

Also, I would recommend reading over your forum posts before posting them. You want to make sure you're accurate, and you don't sound accusatory or inflammatory. It would also be nice if you corrected any spelling errors, but that's just wishful thinking. In other words, make sure people won't see you as a jerk based on what you write, even if it was not intended to be rude. You wouldn't believe how many times I've gotten in trouble elsewhere for things like this (and in some cases how much trouble).

Another thing, which is related to the forum posts thing, is game comments. Way too often I go through a few pages of comments and mark most of them as spam because honestly, they do nothing but say "good game! Favorite! 10/10" or "this game sux!" or "if you think this game sucks, then you suck". If your comment is spammy, and it's on a game I play, it is very likely to be marked as such. Also, cormyn posted a thread on it not too long ago (it's still pinned in this forum). If your post does not add anything significant to the discussion, it's most likely spam. If you have enough of your comments removed (and I'm talking excessive here), your chances of becoming a mod will likely go down. For more details, read the pinned thread in the Support forum.

Finally, just have fun. You don't have to be all strict on yourself to make sure you don't slip up. People make mistakes. One mistake isn't going to kill your chances at being eligible to be a mod, especially if you recognize and acknowledge the mistake, and, if necessary, apologize for it and/or correct it.

Posted Oct 4, '11 at 10:26pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,204 posts

A while back, I asked Cormyn to pull my name out of the magical hat that its pulled from. He said that, being 15 (at the time; I'm 16 now), I wound't even be pulled by the magical monkey that does that. So when the time comes, do I need to request again that I'm removed from the system? Or am I good? Or do I go on a sudden flaming spree to ensure that I'm never considered for the job?

Since the new requirement that future moderators must be 18 or older, I'm thinking that you would just be passed over. Or we can just be like "hey, it says that he's not 18 yet, so let's just pass him over". Then take into consideration in the guide when it does say on your profile if you're 18+.

Posted Oct 4, '11 at 11:19pm

frisko12

frisko12

213 posts

Wow,thas long. is there any way you could make it simpler?

Posted Oct 4, '11 at 11:42pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,693 posts

Knight

^ The short version can be found here.

Posted Oct 7, '11 at 5:47pm

greenpeople2007

greenpeople2007

121 posts

does being a mos count as volinteer hours?

Posted Oct 7, '11 at 9:58pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,416 posts

On a flash game site...? No. It's not community service and there are no time sheets or neato visitor/volunteer badges.

Reply to What it Takes to Become a Moderator (page 1):

You must be logged in to post a reply!