Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

What it Takes to Become a Moderator (page 1):

Posted Aug 21, '12 at 2:23am

Ernie15

Ernie15

12,549 posts

Knight

A second language would be helpful in making sure that people aren't spamming in other languages

Considering that all posts must be written in English, technically they're all against the rules.

Posted Aug 21, '12 at 4:27am

jamesbwilk

jamesbwilk

5 posts

Thanks for your answers guys

Posted Aug 22, '12 at 1:09am

Jefferysinspiration

Jefferysinspiration

3,138 posts

But my age, does that give me a disadvantage?

As stated above, your lack of activeness would be your main obstacle. Get involved in the community more - talk to people, post in the forums etc.

Not sure if this is true, but isn't all activity on AG supposed to be strictly in English? A friend told me that a while ago, but at the time I didn't believe him.

Yepp, all posts etc are to be in English, so sadly other languages aren't an advantage.

Posted Aug 22, '12 at 3:29am

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,689 posts

Knight

Get involved in the community more - talk to people, post in the forums etc

Most importantly, don't worry if you'll become a moderator or not. Sure the blue text and title look cool, but it's something that takes a lot of your time, you have to deal with rule-breakers and children, and you get put down for not doing a well enough job. Huh, guess it's like being a middle school teacher.

Posted Aug 23, '12 at 12:14am

shock457

shock457

470 posts

Just keep this in mind, it is really hard (but possible) to become a Moderator.

I would get the Moderators attention first. That way, they will look you up and consider if you are a Mod worthy person.

If I signed up 4 years ago, I could be one right now. xD
Maybe....Anyways, good luck to all who tries to become a Mod (luckily).

Also, no that many people have a sense of humor in the forums. -.- Forums are supposed to be fun, interesting, and serious!

Posted Aug 23, '12 at 4:33pm

Ernie15

Ernie15

12,549 posts

Knight

If I signed up 4 years ago, I could be one right now.

If you were 18 or older now, you could technically qualify; of course, keeping in mind that that's only a base qualification and that there are loads of other things you have to keep in mind besides your age.

Anyways, good luck to all who tries to become a Mod (luckily).

Trying to be a mod is not looked highly upon here.

Posted Aug 23, '12 at 10:52pm

Gantic

Gantic

6,823 posts

It isn't that hard to tell who would make a good moderator by their behavior, the way they write, and the way they interact with the site. A lot of people think they can be a moderator, but hardly any realize that they wouldn't be a good moderator. Most people wouldn't be good moderators. The rest would be okay but crack under the stress, not break but crack. A handful would be good and fewer would be great.

No matter how well liked you may be, there will be people who just hate you and people who will harass you. No matter how right you may be, there will be really stubborn people who will flat out fight you every step of the way when they are clearly wrong but believe that they are not. No matter how patient you may be, there will be really petty people who will test you. That is true in any position of responsibility. On the rare occasion, all of these types of people manifest as the Manipulative Two-faced Fiend. It will test your character and break you if you get distracted by its cult.

Oh, and the spam. Oh my god the spam. No, not the short comments that don't say much. Actual spam. Spam spam. Advertisement referral link spam! The Many-bodied Beast of the Internet that cannot be contained by the depths of Tartarus!

Posted Aug 23, '12 at 11:17pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,689 posts

Knight

crack under the stress

What stress are you talking about? I think it's a matter of caring too much. You obviously have users that ask why threads get locked and persist, people demanding mods do certain stuff, getting put down for a lack of good job in forums and comments, and other things like that, but if that gets to you then you care too much. I don't think it's that serious, and I don't understand how or why people do. If you could explain this stress and how/why people would crack, that'd open some eyes.

It doesn't seem like a difficult or damaging job, just tedious, but I'm sure that's the only way it'll get if all you do while you're online is mod stuff. You're not enjoying the site anymore, just constantly working.

Posted Aug 24, '12 at 1:47am

Jefferysinspiration

Jefferysinspiration

3,138 posts

It doesn't seem like a difficult or damaging job, just tedious, but I'm sure that's the only way it'll get if all you do while you're online is mod stuff. You're not enjoying the site anymore, just constantly working.

I think it's got to be kept in mind how many active mods there are on the site at the minute, not that many - thus all the mod work is being completed by only a few. I understand why Gantic is warning about stress, i'm sure it would be stressful. It'd be hard to balance enjoying the site and doing an appropriate work load. It's not caring too much in my eyes, just a temporary necessity.

Posted Aug 24, '12 at 2:23am

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,689 posts

Knight

If the admins don't want to give the mods appropriate/UPDATED modern tools to manage the site or the users a better way to flag comments, they shouldn't feel obligated to work that hard.

I really don't understand why they go through the trouble to clear spammy comments. For example, sites like Kongregate and YouTube. They don't have mods/whoever actively wasting their time going through comments on all the games/videos. They have decent systems however. Up/down vote option in comments and ability to flag comments, if enough people flag them they get dealt with.

They're currently clearing spam, but once they refresh, there's more spam. I can understand why they do it in the forums; easier to manage and not as active. Even if the forums were as active as game comments, they would require a better system, otherwise they would be garbage. Two-three mods to clean up the messes users leave behind on such a large scale, not going to work. Doesn't work in comments.

Reply to What it Takes to Become a Moderator (page 1):

You must be logged in to post a reply!