ForumsThe TavernWhat it Takes to Become a Moderator (page 1):

573 420179
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Hey everyone,

In my time at Armor Games, I've seen a few new moderators come on board, and every time we promote a user to Moderator status, there's always a flurry of "why wasn't I picked?" or "I think _____ should be a Moderator" or "why is ________ still a moderator" or lots of other questions about what it really takes to be a Moderator on the site.

As of this writing, I have three comments on my profile asking for 'exact' requirements for becoming a Moderator.

I know we have information scattered around the site, but I wanted to sum up briefly a few of the core things we look for in a user in order to be nominated to become a Moderator. Hopefully this will help clear up some of the confusion.

This topic is meant to be informational in nature. I will delete any message containing text which is negative towards our current team, comments suggesting some other user be nominated, replies of "well, I guess I'll never qualify" or anything else off-topic -- even if your message contains other good ideas. This is not the place for *those* discussions.

Also, it should be obvious that this list is NOT complete, because we don't want to give away EVERY detail about what we look for in a moderator. And this list is also subject to change over time, especially when AG3 launches.

--------------

BACKGROUND

We are obviously much more strict in our criteria than other sites, but that's only because we already have the best users out there and we want to be sure that anyone being a Moderator can follow our rules, guidelines, and get along with others.

THE PROCESS

In a nutshell, candidates are presented to the entire Moderator team, and are reviewed thoroughly by an Admin. The Moderator team decides unanimously (the exception being users who are on hiatus/holidays) on whether to accept the user or not; a negative response could either be "this user should never be a moderator" (and give reasons why) or "let's check back in 3-6 months". If an affirmative decision is made, an Admin user will Email the user asking if they'll accept the role and responsibilities. If the user accepts, the Admin user will promote them to become a probationary Moderator. We guide probationary Moderators for a little while and then release them into the wild.

HOW WE FIND USERS

There are two ways we find potential nominees.

First and foremost is by daily interactions within the forums or user profile comments. That's not to say that ONLY &quotopular" people will get nominated, but we're not likely to nominate someone that nobody really knows. We've recently passed on a half dozen users because none of us really know them as individuals. We'll start paying more attention to them now, of course.

The second method we use is a piece of software I wrote which takes some of the quantifiable criteria mentioned below and scans our database looking for users who qualify. Generally, this software finds HUNDREDS of users, and then starts disqualifying them based on other factors. Once it reports the users to me, I examine the user profiles, and then present a final list of nominees to the Moderator team. Candidates to whom the Moderator team give a definitive 'no way, never', we add to a 'skip' list so the software won't even look at them next time. There's a second "skip list" for users we want to check back on in a few months.

The last scan I did, which resulted in Freakenstein being added to the team, found almost 400 users, filtered them down to less than a dozen, and we were left with one definite 'yes' (Freakenstein), and a handful of "let's check back later" candidates (who we will not name).

SOME OF THE CRITERIA WE LOOK FOR

To be considered as a Moderator nominee, here are SOME of the things we look for. This list is not complete and is subject to change at any time without notice. We may or may not alter this forum posting to describe new or changed criteria. Also, meeting all of this criteria doesn't guarantee anything, because the rest of the Moderator team still has to vote on accepting you into our small team.

- You obviously need to have an excellent understanding of our Terms and Conditions for being on the site, and know the Rules & Guidelines for both the forums and game/user comments. And you follow them yourself.

- You need to stay up to date on things happening at Armor Games, especially with Armor Games v3 coming out later this summer. Users who have been in the beta since late last year will get extra points.

- You need to have an exceptional grasp of the English language (excellent spelling and grammar) but being fluent in one other language for support purposes may help your chances. You don't need to be an English professor, but 1337-speaking / textmsg writing styles, or writing styles which are difficult to read/understand will disqualify you.

- You need to be able to take criticism, from Admins, other Moderators, and especially other users. And you need to humbly accept this criticism when it's "constructive", or learn when it's "destructive" and deal with it accordingly without losing your cool.

- You need to be at LEAST 18 years of age; if you don't share your birth date on your profile (at least the year and month), you'll never even show up on our radar. And we have backups of our user data, so don't go changing your profile birth date trying to cheat the system -- we'll ask for proof.

- You need to have been an active, consistent member of the site for a minimum of 12-18 months. Big gaps in your login/posting history will generally reset this timer.

- You must be a genuinely helpful person within several forums. We watch where you post, how frequently you post, how many times you've posted in each forum, whether you're posting just to jump in on the conversation or genuinely getting involved in the topic, etc.

- We look for well-rounded users who also have good communication via user comments, but not to an excessive (spammy) degree. As such, users who carry on really long conversations back and forth (technically against our rules) will probably get passed on.

- We look for a minimum participation level from forum posts AND user comments. We need to see that you don't just focus on one type of commenting. Obviously we won't quantify these "minimum" values, because we don't want users trying to cheat the system.

- We look for a minimum number of rated games and game comments, and *recent* game ratings and comments, because we need to know you're actually playing the games and having fun too, not just hanging out in the forums 95% of the time. If you never participate in game comments, how will you recognize bad game comments versus merit-worthy comments?

- You must not have excessive quantities of user/game comments removed as spam. "Excessive" is subjective, but we can see how many comments you've had deleted, and we weigh that as a ratio against your remaining active comments.

- Generally, we tell users that even a single temporary ban will disqualify you. A temp-ban for flaming, spamming, harassment, fighting, racial comments, excessive swearing, or blatant rule breaking like hacking will certainly disqualify you. But if the temp-ban happened a long time ago (more than a year and a half), while we never "expunge" them from your history, we may treat them lighter than if your temp-ban was more recent.

WHAT DO WE EXPECT FROM OUR MODERATORS

New Moderators will start out working on cleaning up game comments and forum posts, and looking for merit-worthy game comments. They'll also continue to be helpful in the forums and via user comments to offer help and support, making sure other users are aware of the rules of the web site (and follow them).

We understand that life throws a curve-ball now and then, and while we certainly don't expect Moderators to be on the site every single day, we do expect that you're on the site several times per week. We also expect Moderators to take a break/holiday from time to time. This isn't a paid job, you're doing it for free, so don't feel guilty if you need to step away for a little while. Excessive absences may get you demoted back to regular user status.

And of course, you can always turn us down if you don't want to be on the team, and you can leave the team at any time as well.

----------------

Hopefully that helps clear up some of the confusion about what kind of users we look for as Moderators.

Let the discussion begin.

• 573 Replies
brp47
brp47
580 posts
Peasant

It is not about longness,it is about helping people.

In no way shape or form is me saying that saying that i won't help people because of a designated space of time.
devansh_asthana
devansh_asthana
480 posts
Farmer

Sorry you took it in a hurtful way....

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Sorry you took it in a hurtful way....

Devansh, he didn't.

Just shows how long some users like you and I have been here XD

It is not about longness,it is about helping people.

I understand 100% what he is saying... It had nothing to do with wanting to become a moderator and saying he is a good canidate because he has been here for a while. He is just stating that he has seen many things pass over the years and so he knows because he's been here for a while.

Don't quote me on this, but I think this is what he means Devansh
devansh_asthana
devansh_asthana
480 posts
Farmer

Thanks for the explanation.Mistakes happen...
=)

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

He is just stating that he has seen many things pass over the years and so he knows because he's been here for a while.

"I've seen it all before/Revolution at my backdoor/Well who's to say it won't happen all again/Cos the generals sip Bacardi while the privates feel the pain" -- Crass
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

If there is an updated version of the thread then all would be sorted. It is probably unlikely for another to be made.

There is no complete updated version, but it is linked to in the most recent Guide to ArmorGames Super Sticky, which means anyone can find it without someone bumping it up to the first page every few days.

Also, this is in the Tavern now, so it would appear that it's no longer serving its intended purpose as a guide for newer users, but rather as a discussion thread for regulars and all others who dare enter the arcane realm of the Tavern.
gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

Excessive absences may get you demoted back to regular user status.

Is this still a rule? There are still moderators I have never seen post at all. Am I not looking in the right places or do they just not post anymore?
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

The ones who no longer post have moved on to do other things, but they did a good job while they were here, so we remember them as mods.

Except for the ones who are now knights. We still remember them for all they've done for the site as moderators, of course, but they are no longer listed as moderators.

I think @gh0sts was referring to the ones on the list who are still listed as moderators, but seldom make appearances in the community. In that case, I don't believe there is a set rule for that; at least, not one that we know about. There have been instances where moderators have been de-modded after very long periods of inactivity (we're talking a year or so), but that's about the extent of it. As far as we know.

Plenty of moderators have stepped down from their positions, which also could mean that the ones we thought (and by "we" I mean those of us who have been here since 2009/10) were removed for inactivity could have stepped down behind the scenes after they were consulted about their absence. It's not really our business.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Wait what? Why...Is this...

I'm going to close my eyes. And when I open them, I'll be riiight...here, why am I still here.

gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

I think @gh0sts was referring to the ones on the list who are still listed as moderators, but seldom make appearances in the community.

Yes, them. But looking at their pages, people aren't really reporting things to them, so them being there doesn't have any negative effect. I was mostly wondering how long a moderator could remain inactive without consequences if they so chose to.
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

I'm missing a few obviously

Don't forget the ubermensch Ubertuna.

idunno if Strip/Zophia/Cenere are still around.
gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

Moegreche I believe got married and was not removed as a moderator until probably a year or so.

Looking through his comments, people as far back as March 2010 were wondering why he was no longer a mod. Then, in June 2013, Ferret left him a message stating that his powers had been restored. I didn't even know he had been removed at one point.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Strop is still here but I think the danes are gone for now. I really never did get to know them and I still think Cen is a chick.

He is technically still here, although we haven't seen him in months.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Don't ask me, because apparently I don't know what it takes despite being a mod since '08.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Moegreche I believe got married and was not removed as a moderator until probably a year or so.

Looking through his comments, people as far back as March 2010 were wondering why he was no longer a mod. Then, in June 2013, Ferret left him a message stating that his powers had been restored. I didn't even know he had been removed at one point.

Moegreche I'm quite sure still does their mod thing from time to time, nah? Usually helpful and courteously cheerful when they do, I think.
Showing 541-555 of 573