ForumsPopular MediaWeird question about Music: What do you think about a new genre of Music

6 2326
VinceNeille
VinceNeille
139 posts
Shepherd

I have an fiery passion for music. I also have a lot of question for it!!

What do you think about it...?

• 6 Replies
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

I don't think there will be a new genre anytime soon. With the instruments avaliable now, all you can do is to expand on an existing genre. British Alternative or NU Metal, for example. Until you can get a new instrument, or a totally new style, then you'll get a new genre.

But seeing as the best selling genre is 'Pop', its more beneficial to do something you know will make money rather than experiment.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I agree with Maverick, you can mix things up and create a new style within a genre but creating a whole new genre will take a **** good collaboration of existing genres.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

To mix myself in this conversation about music genre, I think a music genre isn't something that's simply created! It takes a whole lot more, with a certain amount of luck to it...

As far as I know, and think, a genre in music is something that's labeled by any factor in the process of making a certain style of music. If enough artists (or any major known artist in particular who's liked by a big crowd) starts to make his own music and either the crowd in general or the record companies, or for that matter even a music critic, states something about that music, it could be picked up and named as a whole new genre of music on it's own...

For example, take the 'Heavy Metal' genre... this is a genre that evolved from blues rock by bands that simply started to use a thick massive sound along with higly amplified distortion making for a very loud sort of music. Critics still argue about how it eventually became the now known term 'Heavy Metal', but it was believed (I like this version the best) that the term 'Heavy Metal' is actually used for the first time in the movie "Easy Rider" and it's theme song "Born To Be Wild" by 'Steppenwolf'... that's the lucky-factor in my opinion! Know what I mean?!

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

To CREATE music genre, there has to be almost a movement/wave of bands. this is what creates said genre. notice the metalcore movement of 2006-present, there was a HUGE number of bands emerging almost at once. so typically it all happens by accident, or on purpose by labels, one of the too. another good example was the british invasion, where just bands fired one after the next to the limelight. thus creating the british invasion.

so if you kind of think about it, you cant just "create" a new genre

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Well said there delossantosj! Somehow you managed to post JUST what I was missing in my own post there! Cudoos to you! =)

What are your thoughts on the matter VinceNeille?! =D

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

There's currently quite the debate as to whether witch house is forming as a new genre or not.

Showing 1-6 of 6