ForumsSupport ForumThe Search Tool

12 3259
ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

I tried to use the little search box in the top left corner of the page in order to find an old forum topic, but when I typed something in I got pages and pages of results. I tried typing in quotes and I got no results. I think that something may be wrong with the search tool, I'd appreciate it if it could be fixed. Thanks!

• 12 Replies
silentclore
silentclore
297 posts
Nomad

I have experienced that as well, I think our sites search engine should be calibrated or checked out.
And an idea for site moderators and staff, there should be a search part for people on the site becuase it's almost impossible to find people who haven't made a post and what not. Just take that into mind
,silent

Blockhead
Blockhead
110 posts
Nomad

I totally agree, the search tool is useless. It should be made so that key words that you type are directly related to the topic's name.

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,204 posts
Farmer

Yeah, it helps sometimes, but otherwise I just end up having to look for it myself because most of the time all the search entries I get have NOTHING to do with the stuff I typeed in, can a mod explain how exactly this works? Or is it not working properly =O

as for that searching of members, that's been an idea of many people's for a long time, that, and a full members list, it would be a lot easier to find someone, rather than try and look for their comments or posts, if we had a member search and/or full members list.

nick_coolhaha
nick_coolhaha
1,197 posts
Herald

Yeah the search tool has never been that accurate at all! I once tried looking for N&N Merit Guide and rather then just that topic showing up, it showed a bunch of unrelated topics! It's just really weird how they set it up.

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,060 posts
Blacksmith

I definitely would not say it is "useless", but it does not have the same sorts of rules that say, Google does. Instead of being able to search a combination of two words, it searches for both of those words. I still use this function quite often to point people in the right direction, though it might take a bit longer. I would love it if the functions that are in most search tools were able to be used here, but for now I suggest using very specific single words.

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,060 posts
Blacksmith

In addition to my last comment (I just remembered this as I was doing it when directing someone to another thread)...

When you use the search tool, if you press Ctrl+F a box will pop up (or a function at the bottom will appear) to help you search a page for words. You can use this to scroll quickly through the page and skip over many of the superfluous entries that are found there.

John
John
345 posts
Nomad

Not useless, but could possibly use a bit of refining.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

You guys should pull a Google, and put something in there that says: "Did you mean _____?" when you misspell or no results are found.

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

Also, the game search seems to work fine, but the community search doesn't. What I suggest is that you guys make the search find topics with matching titles, instead of posts containing the words that were searched for.

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,060 posts
Blacksmith

You guys should pull a Google, and put something in there that says: "Did you mean _____?" when you misspell or no results are found.

I like this idea, though the main problem is people don't spell the words right in the first place... if a thread's topic is misspelled, the search for that topic would have to be misspelled as well ^.^

The game search is fine because there are less words to search. By me including the word fruitcake in this topic, if someone searches for a thread about fruitcake, this will pop up, heehee.
John
John
345 posts
Nomad

Another search technique I use in Google is the following:

site:armorgames.com yoursearchhere

For example if I am searching for threads of Ubertuna, I can just type "site:armorgames.com ubertuna" into the Google search.

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

I know a lot of sites use a customized google search for their site. It's free AFAIK. Is there a reason we don't use this for armorgames?

Showing 1-12 of 12