ForumsWEPREarthequake in China!!!

20 4714
acetony1
acetony1
48 posts
Peasant

I havent heard too much about it but
I think it was a 7.8 and a lot of people died

If you have more information please post!

• 20 Replies
acetony1
acetony1
48 posts
Peasant

i know i spelt earthquake wrong

TenaciousC
TenaciousC
40 posts
Nomad

where did it occur in china? i have an adopted sister from china. i think it might have been where she was from...

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

The death count is currently at 10,000 and is expected to soar .

Raistlin847
Raistlin847
270 posts
Nomad

My SS teacher told us about that today, and said that BC is due for an earthquake too. Scary cause I live there.

turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

Yeah but if one was in Bc that would be bad but in china there are so many people i think more than U.S.A but ...... here are my questions

1. how much damage was caused
2. what is the cost to repair
3. is it worse than katrina (hurricane)

KlNG
KlNG
301 posts
Nomad

The quake, with a magnitude of 7.8, struck close to densely populated areas of Sichuan province in South-West China.

Transport and communications networks around China were thrown into chaos after the powerful earthquake struck.

The death toll is currently near 10,000 and rising.

900 students were trapped in a 3 story school building when it collapsed, with at least 50 of the students being killed.

Thirty-one passenger trains and 149 cargo trains were stranded. A cargo train went off the rails and caught fire in a tunnel near Huixian County in north-western Gansu as the tunnel began to collapse.

That's basically all the highlights I've read about. Im interested in hearing more about this.

BASHA
BASHA
660 posts
Nomad

just go to google google knows all but stay away from wikipedia

KlNG
KlNG
301 posts
Nomad

There's nothing wrong w/ wikipedia.

But I am a google man myself ...

Oarsman
Oarsman
59 posts
Nomad

Yeah really sad- I hope it doesn't have any negative impacts on the Olympic Games.

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

China is a country of 1.2 Billion people. Any death is awful, but I bet China has more deaths from car accidents in a month than they will have from this earthquake. It's awful to think about, but this is a blip for China and it will be forgotten in a month. Conveniently, no one will remember by the time the Olympics comes around...

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

mmm.. I agree with kanethegbrain...it will be quickly forgotten.
Still, it is like Threadbo on a larger scale I heard. With people trapped. Since there are hundreds of ppl dead, they are less likely to be rescued. High priority people will be rescued before the school kids will.
BTW what does BC stand for?

dawn5555
dawn5555
26 posts
Nomad

I don't know guys - have you seen the footage? Collapsed buildings don't get rebuilt in a month. I also heard on news radio that seismographs as far away as Ohio registered the quake. OHIO. Jiminy. There is so much rubble and they're having to go through it to find people that survived building collapses. I live in Oklahoma and was in high school when the Murrah Building was bombed. That was just one building, but the stuff I've seen on TV of China reminds me of that. It's horrible.

152 posts
Nomad

frist cyclone then earthquake what will happen next

dawn5555
dawn5555
26 posts
Nomad

I know - I was thinking that too. Things usually seem to come in 3s.

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

@dawn5555: Seismographs these days are incredibly sensitive. We used them to check the results of the North Korean nuclear test, and the force of the test (which clocked less than 1 kiloton IIRC, so it probably didn't actually go nuclear) is less than even magnitude 2 and 3 earthquakes.

Showing 1-15 of 20