ForumsWEPRSuicide

262 71845
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Is it ever acceptable?
Is it cowardice or a cry for help?
Some cultures accepted it as something of honor (namely the Japanese military in WWII). Others condemned it (namely the ancient Spartans).
Share your thoughts and opinions here.

• 262 Replies
DSM
DSM
1,303 posts
Nomad

Suicide is not a solution, it is the opposite.

When I was younger and was depressed or angry, I always start training/workout. it helped me to calm down, and I felt allot stronger. It also gave me confident and self respect.

The only one who gonna get hurt by suicide and cutting, is yourself and your family/friends.

After my opinion people should find something to improve themselves with, instead of hurting themselves.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

as in straight a's get everything right,naw i get straight f's (true)
and were black,I beat up the chicks in my school if they pick on me,then go cut myself

OK! WHO THE HELL MADE A GIRL VERSION OF KILLERSUP??? seriously....
DSM
DSM
1,303 posts
Nomad

as in straight a's get everything right,naw i get straight f's (true)
and were black,I beat up the chicks in my school if they pick on me,then go cut myself

In the end, who gets hurt by you cutting yourself or get f's?
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

I did not try to kill myself or cut my self I Assessed the situation and made strategy and then I worked according to it.

Good for you. But do you think everyone is like you? Because everyone is different, they have different problems and experience them in different ways. Not everyone has your situation, and can do what you did.

Being sad is not bad but cutting yourself or killing ur self is stupid

As far as I know, they look for things to distract them from their emotional pain. (Because they don't know how to or can't solve the problem they have.) You were able to solve your problem.

Could you answer this specific question for me? Were you ever suicidal? If so, you should be able to understand suicidal people. If not, then I can see why you don't.
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

Those were school days and I am sorry if I don't like to be bullied and fought back(I think at least I got through better than you)

self defence or bullying back? the first one is good, it is ok to defend yourself after someone attacked you. but if you turn into a bully then you are not better than the people who bullied you.

i got through the suicide-phase because my mom gave me love. love is better than hate.
Armpit
Armpit
784 posts
Nomad

i got through the suicide-phase because my mom gave me love.

I got through it with the helping hand of alcohol. Eventually it just made me depressed again, but I'm still alive so I can't complain.
Roccess
Roccess
240 posts
Peasant

I could maybe see it if it were a suicide mission for you country, if you believe that strongly in it. But every other form of it is cowardice, fear, or depression. Though I have to admit I do get depressed, almost thinking (Keyword = ALMOST) of it when I was younger and watched killing movies.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

I personally believe that suicide is one of the bravest things a person could do - it takes a... certain mental state to be able to nullify the inhibitions and fears that a lot of people have about death.

frodo86
frodo86
474 posts
Shepherd

I personally believe that suicide is one of the bravest things a person could do - it takes a... certain mental state to be able to nullify the inhibitions and fears that a lot of people have about death.

Maybe if you were a samurai and you were captured by the enemy it would be the honorable thing to do, but killing yourself because your life sucks seems like cowardice to me.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Maybe if you were a samurai and you were captured by the enemy it would be the honorable thing to do, but killing yourself because your life sucks seems like cowardice to me.

He said it was brave, not honorable. Also, he just gave a really good reason for why it is brave. They tend to spend a lot of time thinking about death. What will happen, how it will happen, how badly it will hurt, wether it is worth it or not. Death is not easy. Taking your own life is not easy. It takes guts to be able to end your own life, and you're only calling them cowards for not being able to deal with their pain. A pain, that you could not understand. Not that you can't sympathise, or empathise with them. But you aren't in their situation, and you most likly haven't felt a very similar pain. They are diffintly not cowards for ending their own lives. And not everyone's situation is the same, so how can you call them all cowards, when you can not understand the pain of most of them.
phycticpotato
phycticpotato
132 posts
Nomad

However, "brave" taking your own life may be (and I don't know if this has been adressed yet), but it is a very selfish thing to do.

Thought running through a suicidal persons head according to Dair.

They tend to spend a lot of time thinking about death.

Who's death? Their own death.

What will happen, how it will happen,

Who're we talking aabout? Me!

how badly it will hurt

How badly it will hurt who? Me!

wether it is worth it or not.

By whose standards? Mine!

While taking your life may not be easy, it is very selfish.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

However, "brave" taking your own life may be (and I don't know if this has been adressed yet), but it is a very selfish thing to do.

Yes, destroying your own life tends to involve a lot decision making based off of yourself. That's because it's your life. Yes it does affect others, but a suicidal person may not see this, may feel like it doesn't, as if no one cares, ect... And ultimatly, it is their life. They need help to get over their problem, and you tell them they're selfish? Even when they often believe they're helping themselves and hurting no one? For example, if you were suicidal, and you really believed that no one loved you and no one ever would, then you wouldn't know you hurt someone by killing yourself. And from their perspective, should they really live the rest of their life in a depression so you won't be sad for a little bit? Sometimes when you're depressed you feel like you'll never get better. And in this situation, through that perspective, who would be selfish?

Just to be clear, I'm not at all trying to say suicide is okay. It's just that I feel it is wrong to beat up suicidal people. They're already so down, andmost of the time they did nothing to deserve it. To me, insulting them for feeling that wayis like kicking a malnourished dog for not being healthy.
DSM
DSM
1,303 posts
Nomad

I have to disagree in that one. If it takes a certain mental state to make an action brave, then a murder, serial killer and terrorist also brave.

I think there is a fine line between brave and stupid. Suicide, murder, terror and everything related are stupid.
nomoreheroes23
nomoreheroes23
75 posts
Nomad

From some perspective,suicide is a way of saying "I`m running away from my own life."

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

does this count for terrorists with explosive belts too?
Showing 181-195 of 262