Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Suicide

Posted Apr 9, '12 at 6:53pm

frodo86

frodo86

482 posts

I personally believe that suicide is one of the bravest things a person could do - it takes a... certain mental state to be able to nullify the inhibitions and fears that a lot of people have about death.

Maybe if you were a samurai and you were captured by the enemy it would be the honorable thing to do, but killing yourself because your life sucks seems like cowardice to me.

Posted Apr 9, '12 at 7:09pm

dair5

dair5

3,475 posts

Maybe if you were a samurai and you were captured by the enemy it would be the honorable thing to do, but killing yourself because your life sucks seems like cowardice to me.

He said it was brave, not honorable. Also, he just gave a really good reason for why it is brave. They tend to spend a lot of time thinking about death. What will happen, how it will happen, how badly it will hurt, wether it is worth it or not. Death is not easy. Taking your own life is not easy. It takes guts to be able to end your own life, and you're only calling them cowards for not being able to deal with their pain. A pain, that you could not understand. Not that you can't sympathise, or empathise with them. But you aren't in their situation, and you most likly haven't felt a very similar pain. They are diffintly not cowards for ending their own lives. And not everyone's situation is the same, so how can you call them all cowards, when you can not understand the pain of most of them.

Posted Apr 10, '12 at 3:25am

phycticpotato

phycticpotato

146 posts

However, "brave" taking your own life may be (and I don't know if this has been adressed yet), but it is a very selfish thing to do.

Thought running through a suicidal persons head according to Dair.

They tend to spend a lot of time thinking about death.

Who's death? Their own death.

What will happen, how it will happen,

Who're we talking aabout? Me!

how badly it will hurt

How badly it will hurt who? Me!

wether it is worth it or not.

By whose standards? Mine!

While taking your life may not be easy, it is very selfish.

Posted Apr 10, '12 at 4:09am

dair5

dair5

3,475 posts

However, "brave" taking your own life may be (and I don't know if this has been adressed yet), but it is a very selfish thing to do.

Yes, destroying your own life tends to involve a lot decision making based off of yourself. That's because it's your life. Yes it does affect others, but a suicidal person may not see this, may feel like it doesn't, as if no one cares, ect... And ultimatly, it is their life. They need help to get over their problem, and you tell them they're selfish? Even when they often believe they're helping themselves and hurting no one? For example, if you were suicidal, and you really believed that no one loved you and no one ever would, then you wouldn't know you hurt someone by killing yourself. And from their perspective, should they really live the rest of their life in a depression so you won't be sad for a little bit? Sometimes when you're depressed you feel like you'll never get better. And in this situation, through that perspective, who would be selfish?

Just to be clear, I'm not at all trying to say suicide is okay. It's just that I feel it is wrong to beat up suicidal people. They're already so down, andmost of the time they did nothing to deserve it. To me, insulting them for feeling that wayis like kicking a malnourished dog for not being healthy.

Posted Apr 10, '12 at 9:55am

DSM

DSM

1,311 posts

I personally believe that suicide is one of the bravest things a person could do - it takes a... certain mental state to be able to nullify the inhibitions and fears that a lot of people have about death.

I have to disagree in that one. If it takes a certain mental state to make an action brave, then a murder, serial killer and terrorist also brave.

I think there is a fine line between brave and stupid. Suicide, murder, terror and everything related are stupid.

Posted Apr 10, '12 at 10:21am

nomoreheroes23

nomoreheroes23

79 posts

From some perspective,suicide is a way of saying "I`m running away from my own life."

Posted Apr 10, '12 at 10:51am

xAyjAy

xAyjAy

4,900 posts

does this count for terrorists with explosive belts too?

Posted Apr 10, '12 at 10:55am

emochick324

emochick324

3,292 posts

I think about my life,look back to when i thought about suicide then
i cut my arm.

Posted Apr 10, '12 at 11:33am

dair5

dair5

3,475 posts

I have to disagree in that one. If it takes a certain mental state to make an action brave, then a murder, serial killer and terrorist also brave.

does this count for terrorists with explosive belts too?

What you guys are trying to do is make it seem as if it's not brave by comparing it to something you know we would not like. But that doesn't have to do with whether the action is brave or not. I don't like war, but does that make the soilders who participate in it cowards? No, they're still brave. I don't like terrorists, but if they did fear for their life (not the ones who do it to get into heaven), then they are brave. It was still very stupid, but brave. It's still stupid, without good reason, and misguided, but brave. Suicidal people aren't cowards. (I think we know which ones we're talking about here. We tend to think of serial killers as psycotic, so they never thought they were facing something scary in the first place, so no bravery. And for terroists, it's the same idea. They thought everything would be fine, so they're not brave.

Posted Apr 10, '12 at 11:48am

thepunisher93

thepunisher93

1,863 posts

Could you answer this specific question for me? Were you ever suicidal? If so, you should be able to understand suicidal people. If not, then I can see why you don't.

If being suicidal means thinking of taking your own life then yes i 've done that but then I I just shook my hand head and focused on my problems
In my opinion there is no problem that can't be solved

Reply to Suicide

You must be logged in to post a reply!