Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Suicide

Posted Jul 7, '11 at 5:17pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,079 posts

Knight

It depend of beliefs I think, for me, if I didn't believe in God I would have just killed myself cuz life sux... But if you kill yourself you will go to hell lol

I believe in God and I still considered to kill myself.

I don't believe in god and never considered killing myself. Life doesn't suck if you don't think it sucks

That's for you bro, not for me. When you believe that if you do good things you will go to heaven and in heaven you will have EVERYTHING you dreamt of then yes religion play a huge role.

If you do good things in order to go to heaven only, I don't think you'll ever get in ;)

Also, I think an atheist would have a harder time killing themself since they don't believe in an afterlife.

Depends, maybe at some time someone would consider it a bliss to end it for good, without having to face an afterlife where basicly everything could be possible.

See what I mean, all this matter of suicide or not is so dependent of the individual and the situation that I find it wrong to demonize it as such. You can't know what the other has gone through and endured, you don't have the same experiences, so don't judge what you can'tresponsibly judge.

Posted Jul 7, '11 at 5:28pm

elshobokshy

elshobokshy

143 posts

do you mean you really want to kill yourself because the things in your life that you consider valuable don't have enough value for you to go on living? Or do you mean you just don't see a point to life and things and people irritate you?

People who I care about doesn't give a **** about me, my goal is just to be acknowledged by them.. But humans are *** holes.

If you do good things in order to go to heaven only, I don't think you'll ever get in ;)

Why not ?

Posted Jul 7, '11 at 5:40pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,079 posts

Knight

People who I care about doesn't give a **** about me, my goal is just to be acknowledged by them.. But humans are *** holes.

Then maybe you know the wrong people.. don't generalize, that is a mistake that may have lead a few to suicide, at least I could imagine so.

Why not ?

I think the idea behind doing good things is to do it for the sake of making/keeping the world a good place, and not out of personal reasons i.e. to grant oneself access to heaven. But if your belief says otherwise, that's fine too.

Posted Jul 7, '11 at 5:49pm

elshobokshy

elshobokshy

143 posts

But if your belief says otherwise, that's fine too.

You are totally right, it doesn't say otherwise, but personally good things are good things.

Posted Jul 7, '11 at 5:50pm

elshobokshy

elshobokshy

143 posts

Then maybe you know the wrong people.. don't generalize, that is a mistake that may have lead a few to suicide, at least I could imagine so.

The 'few' people you are talking about is everyone I know so...

Posted Jul 7, '11 at 5:53pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,691 posts

Knight

Also, I think an atheist would have a harder time killing themself since they don't believe in an afterlife.

Quite true. As an atheist I've found more to live for. In a theistic view I would often wish something would come along and kill me already so I could get to that better place and stop having to put with the pains in this world.

Posted Jul 7, '11 at 5:53pm

BigP08

BigP08

1,431 posts

I agree; humans are *** holes. Unfortunately that'll never change. I'm glad your religion keeps you from killing yourself, but I think you should spend some time reflecting on other things too, things that make this life worth living. Sometimes it's okay to try to make yourself happy just temporarily, like video games or TV as a distraction. It doesn't suffice for the actual end of depression, but it can keep you from feeling this way all the time. You should also realize (as I did eventually) that the people you care about might just be caught up in their own worlds. If you're referring to your family, my family never knew that I considered suicide because they weren't paying attention. That doesn't mean it was intentional, and everybody gets caught up in things that don't really matter in life.
If you mean a person you have a crush on or even just friends that don't seem to notice you, I can think of two ways to deal with this situation: try to be more outgoing (but not in a fake way) and they will find that there's more to like about you, or (as cheesy as this sounds) stop caring what they think. They aren't the judges of whether or not your life has meaning.
I hope you can find a solution to your problem; as stated before, it's unique to the individual, but I believe there's always a way to re-grasp your meaning in life.

I think the idea behind doing good things is to do it for the sake of making/keeping the world a good place, and not out of personal reasons i.e. to grant oneself access to heaven. But if your belief says otherwise, that's fine too.

As I have used this as justification before, I think I might be able to offer a (possibly incorrect) explanation. It's not so much that you do good things thinking "Another reason to take me to heaven, God." It's more like it's in the back of your mind; you find yourself feeling like people get the better in life by being rotten and you can think, "That's not what'll happen in heaven."
Again, I could be wrong on elshobokshy's religious views, but that's the way I feel about it.

Posted Jul 7, '11 at 6:00pm

elshobokshy

elshobokshy

143 posts

BigP08.. You rock! :)

If you mean a person you have a crush

Yeah that's what I meant.. And everything you said is really great thank you for that!!

Posted Jul 7, '11 at 6:15pm

BigP08

BigP08

1,431 posts

Glad I could help. I hope all goes well. :)

Posted Jul 7, '11 at 9:17pm

Jefferysinspiration

Jefferysinspiration

3,138 posts

think the idea behind doing good things is to do it for the sake of making/keeping the world a good place, and not out of personal reasons i.e. to grant oneself access to heaven. But if your belief says otherwise, that's fine too.

From a religious perspective, we're supposed to try do good things to go to heaven.

Regardless of how we feel however God will understand. Many priests tell you to repent for feeling depressed/ feeling suicidal - this is wrong. God will understand why a person feels like that.
I don't believe that Christians go to hell for committing suicide.

Reply to Suicide

You must be logged in to post a reply!