Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Suicide

Posted Jul 7, '11 at 10:07pm

HydromiTad

HydromiTad

125 posts

I don't believe that Christians go to hell for committing suicide.

I have to agree with that, though I have no strong religious ties. If there is a God, he would want all of his people to be happy.

Those who commit suicide are going to God and are being freed from the horror of the people who tortured them.

Posted Jul 7, '11 at 10:31pm

dudeguy45

dudeguy45

3,038 posts

I think no one should commit suicide, unless your a spy being tortured or the like. I think it is respectable to willingly die. Like Nathan Hale (i only regret I have but one life for my country.) and others.

Posted Jul 7, '11 at 11:55pm

MrMoneh

MrMoneh

80 posts

A person must have great respect for their own country or terrible self esteem if they would risk their own life, I have somewhat of a tough life with some hurdles that I would like to forget, but never would think of suicide as a final result.

Posted Jul 13, '11 at 10:27am

ferfer313

ferfer313

264 posts

My dad commited suicide, but not really. He was using Ambion to help him sleep.

Posted Jul 13, '11 at 10:49am

sprooschicken

sprooschicken

1,181 posts

Suicide is obviously never the right thing to do, but to call someone who is suicidal, or has commited suicide a coward shows a lack of understanding.

Suicide is often the result of depression, which you must understand IS a disease, when you have this disease, rational logical thoughts such as you and I are thinking now have no presence, and anyone trying to present these to someone with depression is like pushing treacle up a hill.

Someone used the example of a spy being tortured as a respectable exscuse for suicide, well depression is like being tortured every day by your own mind. In the mind of a depressant there is no way out, no concievable end, so in their mind there is no point living, suicide in these circumstances is the result of the warped state of mind depression brings, and makes perfect sense to a depressant, it is not cowardice.

I dont expect many of you to get this as it is indeed a hard thing to grasp, but please try to get your heads around it, I hope i have presented the case as well as I can.

Posted Jul 13, '11 at 11:23am

Bladerunner679

Bladerunner679

2,534 posts

Suicide is often the result of depression, which you must understand IS a disease, when you have this disease, rational logical thoughts such as you and I are thinking now have no presence, and anyone trying to present these to someone with depression is like pushing treacle up a hill.

that isn't always the case. like the japanese, some people kill themselves for the right of upholding their honor.

that aside, if they are depressed, they can go to a doctor. they can work it out with the help of their families. there is lots of other things they can do other than kill themselves. the only way they can do so is with constant monitoring, but that is still possible.

you are right when you say their rational thought is skewed, but the people around the person who care for him can help him through his problem.

he can't be considered a coward unless he has killed himself because of something trivial. those is the people who are branded a coward. the people who are medically depressed can't be branded a coward unless, after being showed all of their options, and have been working a long time to control their depression, that they kill themselves even though they worked so hard to manage their problem.

the point you are talking about is when a person kills himself immediately, which is fine if that is the case.

Posted Jul 13, '11 at 12:44pm

sprooschicken

sprooschicken

1,181 posts

that aside, if they are depressed, they can go to a doctor. they can work it out with the help of their families. there is lots of other things they can do other than kill themselves. the only way they can do so is with constant monitoring, but that is still possible

But as I say there thoughts are warped although the se people around them are there to help they do not see it that way and therefore feel in their minds that there is no other way out

but the people around the person who care for him can help him through his problem.

Many people are very unedcutaed on depression, thge families often will not recognise that there is even a problem

unless, after being showed all of their options, and have been working a long time to control their depression, that they kill themselves even though they worked so hard to manage their problem.

The only way this could happen would be if they relapse, then it would be understandable

the point you are talking about is when a person kills himself immediately, which is fine if that is the case.

Well no, its never fine to kill oneself, you mean uderstandable

Posted Jul 13, '11 at 12:49pm

loloynage2

loloynage2

4,359 posts

Is it ever acceptable?

Sure? Why not? I'm not saying it's good, but it's not like you will be punished for suicide :S

Is it cowardice or a cry for help?

Depend on the situation. Some people are pressured in committing suicide. Or they suicide because they actually think they are not cowards (suicide missions).

Others are depressed, and once they suicide, yes, it is an act of a coward. But that's not an insult, and for some people, the coward way is the better way.

Posted Jul 13, '11 at 12:55pm

sprooschicken

sprooschicken

1,181 posts

Others are depressed, and once they suicide, yes, it is an act of a coward. But that's not an insult, and for some people, the coward way is the better way.

Actually, yes that is an insult. Unless you have been depressed its incredibly hard to understand the mind set of a depressed person, its not cowardice, how is dieng when ypu have nothing to live for cowardice?

Posted Jul 13, '11 at 1:36pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,477 posts

but it's not like you will be punished for suicide :S

Sort of. They're punnishing themselves.

Reply to Suicide

You must be logged in to post a reply!