ForumsWEPRSuicide

262 71576
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Is it ever acceptable?
Is it cowardice or a cry for help?
Some cultures accepted it as something of honor (namely the Japanese military in WWII). Others condemned it (namely the ancient Spartans).
Share your thoughts and opinions here.

• 262 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Suicide, or the act of killing yourself or giving consent to another to do the action, is only done by those who do not understand that "there is more." The Japanese tok their lives by the tradition of Bushido, in which they would kill themselves to keep them from being captured, which, in some cases was like the next sentence. Disgruntled people merely do it because they cannot realize how much they take for granted in life.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

There's no way to know why he/she would do it. They leave this world with no evidence...It's a sign.

Looks like a blank sign then. Completely ambiguous, potentially representing any problem.

nobody really thinks about "Will I die tommorow?"

I certainly do, and I feel I'm a better person because of it. That way, I realize what matters and I do what I feel I need to without regrets. It's a lot more focused than "I really should have done ____, ___, and _____. Oh well, there's always tomorrow." Sometimes, there's not.
CheapCheep
CheapCheep
240 posts
Nomad

I certainly do, and I feel I'm a better person because of it.

Obviously, some people do think about death, a lot. But that doesn't mean there aren't people out there that don't think a bout death. It's not necessarily a bad thing to not think about it, I rarely think about death until I deal with one. But it isn't necessarily bad.

Thank you EmpororPalpatine for clearing that up. It's just whenever the subject of suicide comes, it always makes me deal with a lot of stress, and I just have to speak up and say something. Anyway, thanks.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

I had a close friend of mine who, infact, commit suicide next to our school.

If you dont know why they commited suicide then it must've been a fast decision that didnt involve much thought or you werent very close.
I've had 2 people commit suicide that I knew, one person I barely knew so I dont know what the reason was, and the other did it because of gang problems.
I have thought of suicide, but it wasn't being thought of as an option, it was more a "what if". I was always taught that there is a way out of everything and to never give up so I never considered it an option.
Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

Is it ever acceptable?

NO there are other ways
Is it cowardice or a cry for help?

NO U CAN ALWAYS GET HELP
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

it's not acceptable.
it's cowardice.
it's selfish.
it's definitely a sin, because you are killing yourself.

What if by killing yourself you end up saving millions? Does it become ok then?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

NO there are other ways
NO U CAN ALWAYS GET HELP

What about for people with uncurable terminal illnesses, such as ALS where your muscles slowly stop working and you die by painfully choking on your own spit?
Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

What if by killing yourself you end up saving millions? Does it become ok then? HOW WOULD U KNOW THAT PUBLISH A BOOK ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED

What about for people with uncurable terminal illnesses, such as ALS where your muscles slowly stop working and you die by painfully choking on your own spit? YOU WOULD HAVE PEOPLE AROUND U TO HELP U AND THEY WOULD MAKE UR LIFE BETTER

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

YOU WOULD HAVE PEOPLE AROUND U TO HELP U AND THEY WOULD MAKE UR LIFE BETTER

How would they make your life better when you're near paralysis, too weak to speak or move, and have been suffering for weeks, waiting to die?
djme
djme
125 posts
Shepherd

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,251 posts
Regent

But taking the persons problem seriously does help, contrary to insulting and calling them a coward and a weakling. Suicide is never a pleasant thing, but with their attitude towards it, people are just making things worse and through it often even push the victim to the act.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

YOU WOULD HAVE PEOPLE AROUND U TO HELP U AND THEY WOULD MAKE UR LIFE BETTER

just check this and part 2 of it.

his life doesn't get better and it sure is not a temporary problem.
both sentences are short-sighted.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

HOW WOULD U KNOW THAT PUBLISH A BOOK ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED

1) Stop screaming

2) How would I know what? It saving millions? I was being hypothetical...like say the person was the first person with an extremely contagious and dangerous disease

3) Publish a book on what exactly?
-and I'm already working on a book so no thank you
Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

1) Stop screaming
Not screaming that was to make out the difference between quote and non-quote

2) How would I know what? It saving millions? I was being hypothetical...like say the person was the first person with an extremely contagious and dangerous disease
that u would save the world You would not be the first one because it was extremely contagious and dangerous disease

3) Publish a book on what exactly?
-and I'm already working on a book so no thank you
Publish a book about ur life and why u were going to commit suicide
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Common writing etiquette has it that caps are for emphasis. Speaking in all caps is the internet equivalent of screaming.

Use the quote button. Highlight what you want quoted and click the blue quote button once, like you did in that last post.

that u would save the world You would not be the first one because it was extremely contagious and dangerous disease

Extreme hypothetical examples aside...

Publish a book about ur life and why u were going to commit suicide

Honestly, I don't think anyone who has never seriously considered suicide has a right to say whether it is wrong to do. I'm not going to say it's the best answer, but for some people, it is AN answer.
Showing 211-225 of 262