ForumsProgramming ForumWhat is Visual Basic ?

30 14219
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

It seems you can make games using VB but what exactly is it?

• 30 Replies
iMogwai
iMogwai
2,030 posts
Peasant

C# is Visual Basic with different syntax (1 word: ripoff)

It's not really a ripoff if they're both made by Microsoft, is it? Visual Basic is just a more basic (surprise!) version of C#, really.

I studied some Visual Basic in 8th grade, and now I've studied some C# at a university, and I think Visual Basic is a good place to start at, since they have many things in common. Don't expect to be able to make a huge game after just a month or so, though. Learning a programming language takes time. And patience. And time. Lots of it. And patience. Did I mention it takes time? Because it does.
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,223 posts
Nomad

Ah, well for game design what program do you recommend to be the easiest?

Games are pretty complicated. AS3 would be good for starters, but most programming languages take a while to become effective at, AS3 isn't really an exception.

You can also make games in Java, Python, or if you're up to it, C++ (this one I was getting started on, but am still procrastinating on).

I would suggest taking classes in highschool/college on programming, you'll get a much better grasp than learning on your own. At the very least, it would be wise to buy a book on the language you're attempting to learn, as they can oftentimes be more in depth than Internet sources.

Enjoy.
ooier
ooier
28 posts
Shepherd

visual basic = the program language basic for microsoft visual collection. visual basic is an extension of basic wich only works for .net platform

shikazirukato
shikazirukato
7 posts
Nomad

Creating games with Visual Basic will be..you know..a pain in the ***..which you cant get rid of.

The bad thing at it it's that there's nothing in the WHOLE program that would even support making a game..I mean..you gotta make your very own variables..and yeah...I once made a "fighting game" something where you can click attacks and so,and I honestly used over 100 "if".

True..I had a friend which helped me..he coded one monster and I coded the other..but if you want to make a game,use the XNA Game Studio,which works with C#

BryanPhilip
BryanPhilip
3 posts
Nomad

Visual Basic (VB) is the third-generation event-driven programming language and integrated development environment (IDE) from Microsoft for its COM programming model. Visual Basic is relatively easy to learn and use.

Visual Basic was derived from BASIC and enables the rapid application development (RAD) of graphical user interface (GUI) applications, access to databases using Data Access Objects, Remote Data Objects, or ActiveX Data Objects, and creation of ActiveX controls and objects. Scripting languages such as VBA and VBScript are syntactically similar to Visual Basic, but perform differently.

elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

it would be wise to buy a book on the language you're attempting to learn, as they can oftentimes be more in depth than Internet sources.

I got one, it's boring to read...
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Nothing worthwhile in life comes easily. If you can't seem to study from it or find the subject material boring then you should either think of something useful and personally meaningful you can do or find another hobby.
saadli
saadli
1 posts
Nomad

The Visual Basic language is designed to be human readable and accessible to everyone from novice programmers to advanced system architects.

http://vb.net-informations.com

markjeggar
markjeggar
1 posts
Nomad

Visual Baic (VB.NET) and C# from .Net family languages from Microsoft. Both are same but syntaxwise these languages are different. If you are from a vb background its is easy to study vb.net http://vb.net-informations.com , c# syantaxes are more like Java and C++. Both languages are Object Oriented.

mark

manny6574
manny6574
922 posts
Nomad

Haha, dude I know that feeling, I currently have a few books I am reading to learn C++ and a few books on networking and security. Try taking it in in bits, a chapter at a time. I always find that it makes it slightly less boring.
Besch
Besch
37 posts
Scribe

VB is one of the more evil creations of Microsoft to torment mainly young students in programming classes. If you though Office was cruel than do not try to develope Add-Ins for Office with VB.
Writing a game with VB is merely impossible. Try Java (e.g. Minecraft) or C++ (direct access to DirectX and OpenGL) or flash for device independend support.

mightybob
mightybob
360 posts
Peasant

A AMAZING website to learn tons of programing languages (javascript, python, ect) is http://www.codecademy.com/#!/exercises/0

it's a great website that makes code more fun to learn, without dumbing it down!

Its my go to site when i want to learn some new coding!

mightybob
mightybob
360 posts
Peasant

also if you are looking to learn to make games, Adobe Flash is what you will be looking at, which means learning Action Script.

GifNgga
GifNgga
26 posts
Farmer

I used to make Yahoo! Crackers in VB back in the 90's :P
#Winsocks

tocyy
tocyy
9 posts
Farmer

As they said, VB (Visual Basic) is a programming language for Desktop application, it's not hard to learn.

Showing 16-30 of 30