ForumsGames[necro]better gameplay not better graphics

93 20948
bazz1
bazz1
285 posts
Peasant

now when somwbody makes a good fun game people look at the graphics i dont like that they say if it isnt good graphica its crap what happend to good gameplay i want to stop focusing on graphics and get to the gameplay

• 93 Replies
TheLegitGamer
TheLegitGamer
181 posts
Nomad

They're some games that don't require good graphics to be a good game. Such as old school games like Mario. Or some games who like to have that pixelated old school graphics like Minecraft. In my opinion, graphics are something I really don't care about. In every game I always turn the quality down for a better gameplay. You can make graphics like Avatar, but I wouldn't care. If it was a bad game with the best graphics in the world I'd still say it was a bad game. Old school is in style anyway. I'm not saying good quality is bad, but it's not in my extreme expectations. Think of it like a video game is like Ice Cream. The Game is a ice cream, the quality is the toppings. You can live without them. You can have every topping in the world but if you have a tiny scoop of ice cream I'm gonna hate it.

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,816 posts
Peasant

maybe i havent looked enough well mostly i dont want to waste money and buy something i dont play so im too scared to buy one and i think were going of topic so if we could please go to the main and secondary topic (the one about games being like reeal life)

Oh, I thought I was still fairly on-topic with my comment...Um, sorry?

bazz1
bazz1
285 posts
Peasant

Oh, I thought I was still fairly on-topic with my comment...Um, sorry?

i think we are of topic i dont know i think we should just stick with pcs and no need to be sorry it just dosent seem right about ps3s so lets go back to pcs
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,816 posts
Peasant

i think we are of topic i dont know i think we should just stick with pcs and no need to be sorry it just dosent seem right about ps3s so lets go back to pcs

Well, your OP states some debate on the relation between gameplay and graphics...Isn't that the primary topic? I just pictured some games that united both in the comment I made above...When did it stray to become Pc-oriented?

bazz1
bazz1
285 posts
Peasant

well from now maybe? how long have we been talking about ps3s i think we should just go back to pcs becuase well i think ps3 always work no matter becuase all the graphics are on the same level ( im not sure correct me if wrong) but pcs you need a better pc to play games with better graphics

maninfrontofthemask
maninfrontofthemask
95 posts
Jester

It is nice to know with a system that you can for sure play the game the way it was meant to be played. Getting back to the original thread subject, I have a wii which everyone cringes at but one thing you have to admit the wii has come out with a lot of inventive and innovative games that are really cool and don't need to be in HD in order to be enriching. Super Mario Galaxy for example (tried for a popular example) was a very unique game with its whole gravity dynamic that forced the player to really explore and take risks (I know I walked off a platform more than once thinking I could walkj on the bottom. Not only did it introduce this but it kept what we love about platformers and even reverted to a 2 dimensional platformer at times to bring back the nostalgia of the SNES games while still using the unique gravity dynamic to reinvent that sometimes thought to be stagnant form of game. Those are the kinds of games I want to play and I don't care whether it comes in a badly made cartoon form or HD

ledmonds
ledmonds
382 posts
Nomad

i see the point of a games graphic impact towards making the gameplay better for example if call of duty didnt have realistic graphics the gameplay would not be as intense

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Graphics are a major plus. Graphics are the reason games use screens instead of text based monitor boards.

Gameplay is far more important to me, personally, but I still always count graphics as a factor. I love my PS2, and I've played many of them, and still play a few. Even then, if you asked me which I would rather have, my PS2 games regular or in HD, I would say HD. That means something, it adds to the gameplay environment. I think its a little hard to distinguish between the two. For example: I played Mario Kart for the Wii and I noticed the graphics were so bad I felt as if I were playing some toybox game. I wish the wii had introduced an HDMI option, seeing as I've noticed the quality of many games doesn't feel as good as it does on other consoles. Might just be me, though.

ledmonds
ledmonds
382 posts
Nomad

if you think about it however a game now coming out with terrible graphics without justification will be reviewed so badly that people will not enjoy the game where as in the old days of the original resident evils for example the graphics were bad but at the time we didnt know how great graphics could be

bazz1
bazz1
285 posts
Peasant

well it seems like things have changed ( im gonig to revive this thread) gamers are starting buy games for graphics well if a game becomes a moveing picture... then shoot me in the head and burry me on mars so i can feel like im playing an unrealistic game

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

old days of the original resident evils for example the graphics were bad but at the time we didnt know how great graphics could be

I dont think you realize that Resident Evil graphics were really good for that time, and I still consider them great since there is alot of detail put into the characters and animations (aside from combat).
well it seems like things have changed ( im gonig to revive this thread) gamers are starting buy games for graphics well if a game becomes a moveing picture

I felt like the Uncharted Games were pretty much semi interactive movies since the gameplay was so unbelieveably linear and such a large amount of cutscenes.

There are some people who do judge a game solely on graphics but it's not the majority of people who think that way, otherwise Minecraft would've been a huge flop
El_Puto
El_Puto
5 posts
Shepherd

Gameplay is a lot more important than graphics because a game is something to enjoy and have fun using, not something to look at.

KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

Oh look, it's this thread again. Surprised I never initially posted here to begin with.

Anyway, graphics or gameplay? The answer is neither. There's a fine balance between the two and if either isn't there, the game suffers.

Do note that when I say graphics, I mean the presentation of the game as a whole.

Gremlion
Gremlion
522 posts
Blacksmith

*Insert laugh of ADoM player here*

KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

Hurray for niche roguelikes that perfectly illustrate my point

Showing 76-90 of 93