Forums

ForumsVideo Games

[necro]better gameplay not better graphics

Thread Locked

Posted Aug 22, '11 at 12:09am

Armed_Blade

Armed_Blade

1,564 posts

Graphics are a major plus. Graphics are the reason games use screens instead of text based monitor boards.

Gameplay is far more important to me, personally, but I still always count graphics as a factor. I love my PS2, and I've played many of them, and still play a few. Even then, if you asked me which I would rather have, my PS2 games regular or in HD, I would say HD. That means something, it adds to the gameplay environment. I think its a little hard to distinguish between the two. For example: I played Mario Kart for the Wii and I noticed the graphics were so bad I felt as if I were playing some toybox game. I wish the wii had introduced an HDMI option, seeing as I've noticed the quality of many games doesn't feel as good as it does on other consoles. Might just be me, though.

Posted Aug 22, '11 at 12:42pm

ledmonds

ledmonds

400 posts

if you think about it however a game now coming out with terrible graphics without justification will be reviewed so badly that people will not enjoy the game where as in the old days of the original resident evils for example the graphics were bad but at the time we didnt know how great graphics could be

Posted Jun 9, '12 at 6:09pm

bazz1

bazz1

287 posts

well it seems like things have changed ( im gonig to revive this thread) gamers are starting buy games for graphics well if a game becomes a moveing picture... then shoot me in the head and burry me on mars so i can feel like im playing an unrealistic game

Posted Jul 6, '12 at 6:51pm

Somewhat49

Somewhat49

1,669 posts

old days of the original resident evils for example the graphics were bad but at the time we didnt know how great graphics could be

I dont think you realize that Resident Evil graphics were really good for that time, and I still consider them great since there is alot of detail put into the characters and animations (aside from combat).
well it seems like things have changed ( im gonig to revive this thread) gamers are starting buy games for graphics well if a game becomes a moveing picture

I felt like the Uncharted Games were pretty much semi interactive movies since the gameplay was so unbelieveably linear and such a large amount of cutscenes.

There are some people who do judge a game solely on graphics but it's not the majority of people who think that way, otherwise Minecraft would've been a huge flop

Posted Jul 6, '12 at 7:16pm

El_Puto

El_Puto

6 posts

Gameplay is a lot more important than graphics because a game is something to enjoy and have fun using, not something to look at.

Posted Jul 7, '12 at 7:09am

KentyBK

KentyBK

555 posts

Oh look, it's this thread again. Surprised I never initially posted here to begin with.

Anyway, graphics or gameplay? The answer is neither. There's a fine balance between the two and if either isn't there, the game suffers.

Do note that when I say graphics, I mean the presentation of the game as a whole.

Posted Jul 7, '12 at 8:32am

Gremlion

Gremlion

501 posts

*Insert laugh of ADoM player here*

Posted Jul 7, '12 at 9:16am

KentyBK

KentyBK

555 posts

Hurray for niche roguelikes that perfectly illustrate my point

Posted Jul 7, '12 at 11:22am

Kreitmaker

Kreitmaker

293 posts

I'll have to agree with KentyBK there, balance is the key, too much of one kills the whole game for us gamers.
While the gameplay has to be good, the graphics have to be considerably good as well.
Maybe in 1970's, 1980's and 1990's, it wouldn't matter since the graphics were basic (fewer polygons, 2D, etc) at the times, so gamers thought they were good enough.
But now most gamers want to see improved graphics, but "some developers" go too far with the graphics and then barely pay attention to gameplay (e.g. one button does too many functions).
But if it's the other way, problems still occur (textures with little detail can pose some confusing problems that take away from gameplay).
That's why, as KentyBK said, there should be a balance between these two components of the game.

Posted Mar 22, '13 at 1:57am

bazz1

bazz1

287 posts

Oh look, it's this thread again. Surprised I never initially posted here to begin with.

Anyway, graphics or gameplay? The answer is neither. There's a fine balance between the two and if either isn't there, the game suffers.

Do note that when I say graphics, I mean the presentation of the game as a whole

Yeah i get you there,its just i've seen games sacrafising gameplay and plot for realism and graphics... i want to keep a good balance just not have games completetly focused on graphics.