ForumsGames[necro]better gameplay not better graphics

93 20916
bazz1
bazz1
285 posts
Peasant

now when somwbody makes a good fun game people look at the graphics i dont like that they say if it isnt good graphica its crap what happend to good gameplay i want to stop focusing on graphics and get to the gameplay

• 93 Replies
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Uh graphic r important. If the game play is great the graphics need to match that

Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

Games need to have good graphics unless they are ment to be retro to a certain point but gameplay means more to me.

destruction101
destruction101
115 posts
Nomad

The game play MUST be really good, but as long as the graphics are decent it doesnât matter. I mean look at Nitrome, they make some of the best flash games I have ever played, but there graphics are not all that good. The important thing? I still enjoy them even if the graphics are not all that good. More examples? Mario Nintendoâs old games the list goes on and on.

Tamally
Tamally
157 posts
Nomad

Uh graphic r important. If the game play is great the graphics need to match that

are you dumb? graphics dont mean anything? what matters behind a game is the story and if you dont belive that you dont deserve to play video games...

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

There's a reason people still play classic Atari and the old Super Mario Bros. It's not the graphics (although some like the nostalgic feel) it's the gameplay. A game could look perfect, but be crap due to poor controls or clumsy movement or no real storyline/plot.

Tamally
Tamally
157 posts
Nomad

yes, but most ppl dont belive that ppl like this retard think its all bout graphics

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

I only look for games if I enjoy playing them. I see good graphics as a bonus. I mainly play video games on the PlayStation 2 because the games available for it appeal to me more than video games on the newer consoles.

No. Graphics are the least important thing in games. Do you want a game with magnificent graphics but lacking in everything else? That would make a terrible game and barely anybody would purchase it. The only people who would get it is the people who care so much about graphics rather than gameplay itself. Gameplay and everything else is much more important than some pretty art.
PrideRage
PrideRage
151 posts
Nomad

I agree with most of the other posters. Graphics aren't as necessary as the gameplay and the storyline. I also think that the big companies really overdo their graphics. Nowadays all the people cursed with an old PC can't play newer games, and that's where all big companies want to surpass each other with the graphics, so that not everyone can get a feeling of the gameplay.
I'm sorry for getting a little off-topic, but I just want to mention, that small indie developers can make much better games that the games from big companies.
The only thing that matters about graphics is, that if you for example play a game where you have an inventory, you should be able to recognize that you have a sword in your inventory and not a stick or a fish.

Really good graphics are only important for tech-demos where companies show what kinda realistic stuff they create and how good all of there stuff looks like, I really admit that in tech-demos I become a graphic ***** but whilst playing a game, I enjoy the game, not the graphics.

AngelOfDemon
AngelOfDemon
418 posts
Nomad

well something that I think of is that graphic quality also effects gameplay. For example, the only game I really play a lot on this site is Exit Path, and in that game, the graphics are okay, but in order to go faster, they have to be low, so graphics really dont matter becuase in Exit Path, low graphics equals good gameplay. Simple as that.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

graphic exists to give you the feeling of being part of the game. this is why they keep making graphics better. but if you already feel like a part of the game (when the story is good) then the graphic isnt really important.

its different when your looking for gameplay though. mario will always be mario. the story will never be that awsome and the graphics neither (i talk about old mario games) but those will always be fun (like old sonic games).

but graphic is just trying to add to what the story is (supposed) doing. so when the story is good enough then we dont need a good graphic. on the other hand, when the graphic is amazing and the game has horiblle story its just a bad game (in my opinion)

^^ [the above paragraph is really connected to ff12 XD]

ChillzMaster
ChillzMaster
1,435 posts
Nomad

I have only one thing to say here, one thing alone.

Minecraft v. Crysis 1

One of the "Worst" looking games of the last 5 years against the 2nd best looking game (1st being its sequel) of the last 5 years, and tell me which one is the better innovator, the better concept, the best gameplay, represents "Games as Art" better, and overall, left a larger impact on you as a whole.

-Chillz

GamerLynx
GamerLynx
32 posts
Nomad

Story is what attaches you to a game and its characters, and if the gameplay sucks then your only fans will be fanboys under 12 years old. But there is one very important thing.

Lots of people still only have CRT TVs. All those fancy 1080p graphics don't mean anything when we can't afford an HD TV because we spent money on the 360 or PS3. You lose a fair amount of business if your only target is &quoteople rich and dumb enough to spend all their money on graphics with no care about story." I mean, look at how successful Portal was. The graphics are nice, but low enough that Wii games can match it, but everyone loves the story, characters, and gameplay most.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

What about board games made into video games like Family Game Night? The games didn't really change at all compared to the physical versions, so the graphics don't matter that much. Look at how many versions of Monopoly there are. Just because the newest version is shinier than the oldest dosen't make it any better.

muffinman08
muffinman08
524 posts
Nomad

game play is far more important that graphics, for example i still play d2 (though partly due to nostalgia) which is literally 2d graphics with a 3d appearance, yet iv seen up to 40000 people playing it on battle net (still more than many slightly older Xbox games)
this isnt really helped by game reviewers such as ign who place far more importance on it that its worth (besides there biased to big games anyways)
thankfully there are still a few games that are relying on games rather than graphical muscle, blizzard still goes for gameplay- which why i cant wait for diablo 3

arcat
arcat
10 posts
Nomad

in my opinion Graphic is must good as the gameplay, because they are completing each other, so it will make an incredible and addicting game,
sorry for my bad english

Showing 1-15 of 93