ForumsThe TavernThe 'Rant' Thread

297 59289
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

Basically just a thread to rant about anything and everything. I won't bore you with rules or anything, just remember to stick to the community guidelines and don't let this get out of hand

• 297 Replies
bschnauzer7
bschnauzer7
290 posts
Scribe

I actually wrote this rant in language class on one of my assignments, so I want to re-write it here, word for word. It's about the book Fahrenheit 451.

Here it is, down to the punctuation:

i can't believe I have to sit through this class all the Time i did this entire thin yesterday but writing about stupid british people with friggin flamethroers killing books, And I dont see why this boo k is so important anyway. i mean some guy burned books, wanted to stop burning books, Ran away from a city which then got bombed, I could be doing so much more productive things right now i don't even think my teacher notices the stuff im writing. I Woud probably get in whole lot of trouble not because I m not using class time properly but because i'm using such bad grammer and spelling Im usually good at that kinda thing but i just need to vent right now about this dumb book, i still don't get why we can't read a good book in class. like 1984 or something, it's ... uh...,I lost my train of thought, so...I'll just keep writing for the hell of it because i can't even pay attention I hope he doesn't see what I'm writing i could get in so much trouble if he say, actually, Mr Blake would not make me in trouble that much hes pretty lienient or however you spell thet. wow I m so overstimulated right now I a mstill sitting through this boring class, i can't even remember what im supposed to be learning about but I geuss its important or whatever I just

And for some reason, part of the sheet I was reading this from is missing. I guess my dog must have ate it, or something, I really don't know, but I remember by the end of it I was swearing enough to make a sailor blush.

Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

I think I watched part of the movie Fahrenheit 451... it did look pretty dumb. (Now it's my turn )
But you know what really grinds my gears!?! (Family Guy anyone?)
That dumb jabberwocky poem!!! If you never heard my story about that, I called it dumb in class and my 7th grade English teacher (Don't even get me started ranting about her) heard me. Well, she did one of her classic death stares and asked why I thought it was stupid...she was 100% concentrated evil.

bschnauzer7
bschnauzer7
290 posts
Scribe

If no one else is gonna use this, then I might as well keep talking.

I was just thinking about that weird thing where if you think about going to use the restroom, then you suddenly have to go, and I am just gonna be jumping around to different topics right now, so if you read this try to bear with me. Or don't, it doesn't matter to me. Speaking of doesn't matter, I just realized that I don't know any really chill people. A lot of my friends are either really weird, or jumpy, or very kind sorts of dudes (which doesn't really count) come to think of it, grammatically I would not have been able to use the word "very" right there, but even though very and really mean like the same thing? I don't know, whatever, so my really jumpy friends, I know one girl in particular who metaphorically has a heart attack when someone taps her on the shoulder. One time in string orchestra (i play the cello), she brought in cookies for something she was going to after orchestra, but she accidentally left them there when we left, and we weren't even that far away but she flipped out and started almost crying because she was afraid that the janitors would eat them. I hate to see people cry, but it was admittedly kinda funny ( I'm such a terrible person.) Also one time she accidentally tripped me in capture the flag, but that's small dice compared...(weird expression... small dice, what does that even mean?)... whatever, as I was saying compared to this one time, we were on a bus going to a music contest for my orchestra, and some of the other people in orchestra dared her to call me "sexy". It was hilarious, and I think that she is still apologizing for that (I don't know why she's apologizing, I am pretty dang sexy) <--Blatant narcissism but who cares so I was thinkin' about music if you couldn't already tell, so I thought about this one song I sang in elementary school about this stupid cat, I now call it "the stupid cat song" (can't even remember the actual name)
but in a nutshell it is about this dumb cat who gets a love letter from this hot babe cat down the street, and he's all like, "yo man, imma go up on my roof to read this here letter" and he goes on his roof, falls off, and the next line actually says: "he broke all his ribs and whiskers meow meow meow, and his little solarplexis meow meow meow." I mean, why does this childrens song have to be about a mortally injured cat retard? (please excuse my mean words) and what the hell is a "solarplexis" anyway? am I even spelling that right? stupid cat, falling off a roof.

Well, thanks for letting me blow off some steam, I'm gonna go do something productive. NOT!

By the way, my favorite comedian is Rob Paravonian, y'all should check him out.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

I think I watched part of the movie Fahrenheit 451... it did look pretty dumb.

I read the book and watched the movie. The book was decent and Bradbury, the author, was completely correct on some things that would exist in the future (the book was written in 1951) like wall-size flatscreen TVs, radios/music divices that would fit in/around your ear, people taking pills to sleep every night. He was quite a visionary.

The movie however was crap, complete rubbish, and very loosely followed the plot of the book.
bschnauzer7
bschnauzer7
290 posts
Scribe

Yeah, the book was pretty good, I didn't like the movie. complete fail.

divy1324
divy1324
436 posts
Nomad

What the heck is fahrenheit 451 anyway!

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I wrote a decent-sized rant here just a few minutes ago.

That's the only one of mine I can find at the moment, but I'll link to some more if I happen to come across some other ones.

GamerLynx
GamerLynx
32 posts
Nomad

RE: Many posts about Fahrenheit 451

You know how most of those boring books you read in high school look like they were written purely as boring school classics? Part of my problem with Fahrenheit 451 is that Ray Bradbury has gone on record saying that he wrote it intentionally to be a famous classic. It's not the worst of them, and the movie was a lot worse, but jeez. Makes you wonder about To Kill a Mockingbird or Great Expectations. My mini-rant contribution to that.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

What the heck is fahrenheit 451 anyway!

Many students also dislike The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. It's well written and is a fairly easy read. What I dislike is that they're proposing to remove the N-word from it because it's offensive. Back when it was written it was very common. It was the language of the era. I guess in the future people will be offended by the word 'house' because that implies a staple of wealth in society which will offend those with low incomes who live in apartments.
bschnauzer7
bschnauzer7
290 posts
Scribe

I completely agree, and I don't think that it should be censored just because some people might get offended. It's like trying to ban blonde jokes, it just shouldn't happen. (okay, not exactly, but you get where I'm going with this, right?)

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,914 posts
Nomad

What I dislike is that they're proposing to remove the N-word from it because it's offensive

If this is true (most likely, you seem like a reliable source to me), then prepare to see black bars throughout To Kill A Mockingbird.
Sarthra21
Sarthra21
1,079 posts
Nomad

Ooh! I've been waiting to put this rant somewhere for a long time.

You know, I really hate Hot Topic. For those who might not know what Hot Topic is, it's the cross-breeding ground for posers who think they're metalheads and dip****s from 4chan. There are SO many reasons why I hate the store. First of all, the stuff's way overpriced. It's 50 USD for a t-shirt with some stupid **** on it. I could go to Target and buy a T-shirt with stupid **** on it for 15 USD. Band T's from there are the SAME PRICE at the band's website. Second of all, Hot Topic is owned by Hollister. I hate excessively popular businesses, and the clothes from Hollister. The shirts are tight as hell.
Here are examples of shirts with stuff on them you can buy for ONE FIFTH the price online from different places.
Everybody's Russian
Philosopher's do it deeper

bschnauzer7
bschnauzer7
290 posts
Scribe

I actually want that &quothilosophers do it deeper" shirt, because I love philosophy. thanks for showing that.

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,914 posts
Nomad

You know, I really hate Hot Topic. For those who might not know what Hot Topic is, it's the cross-breeding ground for posers who think they're metalheads and dip****s from 4chan. There are SO many reasons why I hate the store. First of all, the stuff's way overpriced. It's 50 USD for a t-shirt with some stupid **** on it. I could go to Target and buy a T-shirt with stupid **** on it for 15 USD. Band T's from there are the SAME PRICE at the band's website. Second of all, Hot Topic is owned by Hollister. I hate excessively popular businesses, and the clothes from Hollister. The shirts are tight as hell.
Here are examples of shirts with stuff on them you can buy for ONE FIFTH the price online from different places

Sorry I like to buy shirts for bands I listen to. I only pay $22.50 (plus tax, on its own, it's only $20) so you mall is ripping you off terribly. It's also a place to get stuff not sold in other places, like Emulsion energy drink, that stuff's really good. I hate buying clothes online if I can just go to a store right down my street. I could care less who owns it, they'll always be more successful than you'll ever be. I personally don't buy from Hollister becuase I'm not exactly the surfer type, most of my clothes come from Aeropostale because it's the cheapest of the four and my sister works there, so I get tons of free clothes.

And your last bit made the rest seem like a massive advertisement. Which isn't a very good idea if you want to get your point across.
notinthepie3
notinthepie3
658 posts
Nomad

My Rant:

Usually on these forums I've seen that Atheist is a loose term and generally only means the lack of belief in a religion. Under this definition, MasterC2010, you are an Atheist.

If you lack positive belief in God, you are an Atheist

I don't believe that at all. I have friends who don't have a religion, and it ticks me off all the time when people ask my friends, and are like "You don't have a religion? So you're Atheist?" NO THEY'RE NOT! GOSH! Why can't people just not have a religion and not be considered Atheist? Really? They just haven't looked into it yet, or they didn't grow up in a religious household, etc. I grew up Mormon ever since I was little, so it was easy for me. That's just how I always remembered it. But I have one friend who doesn't have a religion yet, because she is so confused. She said "I don't know what to do. Everyone says their church is true, so which one is true?" I thought in my mind "well my church. wait." I didn't say anything because my other friend (who is not Mormon) was pushing my friend (1st) to go to her church. I didn't want to be like that. I can't imagine how hard it would be to just have to pick a church. My point: Just because you don't have a religion, doesn't mean that you are Atheist
Showing 1-15 of 297